Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trendline discrepancies between timeframes

Hello,

I have some questions / concerns regarding multi-timeframe analysis with trendlines.

If I draw a trendline with snap-mode for bar and price turned on (for perfect accuracy at lower timeframes), then when I switch to a lower timeframe the trendline is different.

The anchor prices and dates are correct and the same as they were when drawing the trendline on the higher timeframe. I don't really know what the issue is, how to fix it, or if it can even be fixed which is why I'm here.

While the anchor points and the times may be correct, the trendline is not accomplishing what I need it to. When switching to a lower timeframe, I need the trendline to be anchored to the actual bars that make the anchor points within the higher timeframe bars, if that makes sense. This way when extending to the right, the trendline is actually useful because it's exactly where it should be based on the lower time frame lows/highs, and not just floating in space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	210
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1266715Click image for larger version

Views:	160
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1266716
    Notice when we touch the trendline on the far right side, well that's not really where the trendline should be, so it's not particularly useful. the trendline should be anchored to that low on the left side of the 1m chart, and that lowest low on the right side of the 1m chart.

What I'm hoping i can make the lines look like without having to draw them on the 1m chart:
    Click image for larger version

Views:	154
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1266717
    Notice now that while the anchor prices remain the same, it's the bars that are different, the point in time where prices actually touched that price that the trendline should be drawn off.

Hopefully this makes sense. It's not a bug because again the anchors are unchanged when switching between timeframes. It's more of a "hey can we include a higher granularity in our trendline anchor times" so to speak.

Please help. Thanks

Hello haydfree,

Thank you for the message.

You would want to make sure that you are drawing the Start and End points on parts of the chart that have already been posted. As in, you do not want to scroll into the future and place the 2nd anchor there as that can result in the charts moving over time.

In short, you would want to draw the Trend Lines on the smaller/lower time frame chart so that the points are anchored at the specific price and time.
    • If you draw the points on a 60 minute chart for example, that whole 60 minutes is being represented by the single bar and all of the data points within it.
    • But, if you drew the object on a 1 minute chart, there would be 60 different bars representing that exact same amount of information
    So, what if the low of the bar was 27 minutes into the 60 minute chart.
    • The 60 minute chart would make it look like the drawing was attached to the lowest point of that 60 minute bar.
    • But, if you then looked at a 1 minute chart, it would be attached to the low of the bar 27 bars in.

So again, you would want to draw the objects on the Lower Time Frame charts so that they are attached to the more specific anchor point.

Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.
    Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by strategist007, Today, 07:51 PM
    0 responses
    1 view
    0 likes
    Last Post strategist007  
    Started by StockTrader88, 03-06-2021, 08:58 AM
    44 responses