Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Request an Alert when margins are adjusted for one-time events.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request an Alert when margins are adjusted for one-time events.

The intraday margin requirements were adjusted today around the regular close today due to the impending NVidia earnings release. I confirmed with the trade desk that the risk management team decides when to adjust the margins. That's a great policy however I wish there was some type of warning provided to the user in the app since the margin calculation within the app is not adjusted to account for the adjusted margins. The margin risk web page also does not indicate when these one-time events are occurring (but acknowledge that the web page in the past announces it for extended volatile periods).

Would it be possible that some type of live alert be sent to the app to notify users when the margins are adjusted for these types of events? It would be ideal if the app margin calculations would also take into account the dynamic margin changes but a simple alert would be hugely beneficial in itself. If the alert could be provided slightly in advance that would help as well (5m, 1h, 1d?).

Being suddenly out of buying power while in the middle of executing certain strategies can be quite devastating. I appreciate if you would please create a enhancement request for this concern.

From a conversation with the trade desk in the past, I understand that there is concern that by forewarning the user, he may take advantage of the upcoming margin reduction to initiate a large position before the event that would be grandfathered in since the margin adjustment allows open positions to remain (at least that is what I was told before). My intent is not to do that although I think if the warnings are given early enough (1d), that the grandfathering option could be removed and positions automatically closed that are over similar to what is done 15m before the close. Otoh, please consider that some longer term position have nothing to do with the news of the day and ideally would not be affected.

Thanks!
    Chris

Last edited by crokusek2; 08-23-2023, 06:32 PM.

Hello crokusek2 ​,

Thank you for writing in.

Unfortunately, while we understand that a live alert would be helpful for trading during events like these, we ask clients to consider that Margins historically change around large market moves like unemployment report, CPI index, etc. Ultimately it is always the clients responsibility to keep an eye on their positions and risk.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

I recommend our clients book mark this site for occasion like this:

https://ninjatrader.com/pricing/marg...on-management/

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.​
    Erick P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Erick View Post

. . . Margins historically change around large market moves like unemployment report, CPI index, etc.​
      Historically, no, not at any of the other brokerages I've had experience with since 1999. The policy of 15-30 min intraday margin changes for scheduled economic or earnings news events is a recent (Oct 2022) creation at NinjaTrader Brokerage. Maybe some others do it too now, but it's not a longstanding or common practice. Historically, during multi-day periods of extreme market volatility, it's been common for brokers to temporarily increase margin in response, but not for only 15-30 minutes here and there for scheduled economic or earnings news events.

I support Chris's improvement suggestion to have real-time margin status (standard or increased) and changes indicated both visually (constant indication, like the connection or watch indicators) and audibly (each change) in the NT platform.

Comment

Hi Erick,

Could you please enter a feature enhancement request for this item? I assume the product managers review these tickets every so often and re-prioritize them.

Thanks,
        Chris

Comment

”Historically, no, not at any of the other brokerages I've had experience with since 1999. The policy of 15-30 min intraday margin changes for scheduled economic or earnings news events is a recent (Oct 2022) creation at NinjaTrader Brokerage. Maybe some others do it too now, but it's not a longstanding or common practice. Historically, during multi-day periods of extreme market volatility, it's been common for brokers to temporarily increase margin in response, but not for only 15-30 minutes here and there for scheduled economic or earnings news events.“

Just to add/expand on the history & present:
          I use a.n.other popular broker. It introduced a new margin policy very similar to Ninja’s at a similar time (in response to the Covid circuit-breaker increased volatility iirc). The affected events are published on a webpage, and notified by push email to clients before (beginning in the Overnight preceding the event) and when ended (typically 15m after the announcement. As most of the announcements to which this policy applies take place more than 15m before NYO, trading in the Day Session is mostly unaffected).
          There are no unannounced discretionary margin increases for company-specific releases

Kind regards,

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by burtoninlondon, Today, 12:38 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post burtoninlondon  
          Started by AaronKoRn, Yesterday, 09:49 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes