NT "Safe Mode"

Running NT 8.1.1.7 on Windows 10..

Booted into safe mode as a test.

.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	285
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	1258611

Why would safe mode delete all of my Strategies out of the grid? (I blanked the name of the vendor because it doesn't matter) Yes, I understand the .dlls are not loaded...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	290
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1258612
    ​Who is safe mode for and where is this behavior documented? I have another version of NT8 running 96 strategies... Imagine having to recreate that from scratch...

I see Ninjatrader Support frequently have customers boot into safe mode...Do customers REALLY understand what they are doing when they do this?

And how many of them blame it on the vendors that write the strategies? Answer... ALL OF THEM...

Scroll to the bottom of this page,
    https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ance_tips2.htm

Among other things, that help page says,
    ... safe mode will not load workspaces
    ... safe mode will not load custom assemblies

After entering safe-mode,
    did you try to open a pre-existing workspace containing
    strategy references to a custom assembly?

Presumably (since the custom assembly was not loaded)
    trying to open a complex workspace where some strategies
    needed that custom assembly understandably created the
    error situation. Maybe that's the case?

Were you able to close that workspace without saving it?
    Did close-without-saving maintain the workspace integrity?

If not, did you try doing a workspace recovery?
    Scroll to the bottom of this help page,
    https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...paces_menu.htm

Just my 2˘.

Last edited by bltdavid; 07-02-2023, 11:53 AM.

Comment

bltdavid... I had no charts or workspaces... My strategies were entered directly into the grid so I could take that out as any possible variable... I intentionally used as little as possible... The strategies are gone... They were deleted the minute I opened in safe mode... And yes, I closed NT without saving my blank workspace but they were removed... Incidentally, I am fine with that -BUT- NO WHERE that I have been able to find does it indicate that is a result of opening in safe mode... And yes, I tried restoring prior to my email...

I guess I want to know if this is documented as to what will happen when opening in safe mode...

Comment

Hello brenthilburn,

Thanks for your post.

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
        • Loading workspaces.
        • Connecting on start-up.
        • Loading custom assemblies or NinjaScripts.
        • Getting instrument updates from the server.
        ​This means that when NinjaTrader is started in Safe Mode, custom NinjaScript indicators, strategies, and add-ons will not be loaded in NinjaTrader.

Safe mode is used to help diagnose performance issues and isolate if an issue is caused by using a third-party add-on.

You could find this documented on this help guide page: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ance_tips2.htm

When NinjaTrader Desktop (Safe Mode) is closed and the regular NinjaTrader Desktop application is open, custom indicators, strategies, and add-ons would be loaded again.
        Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_BrandonH View Post
          Hello brenthilburn,

Thanks for your post.

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
          • Loading workspaces.
          • Connecting on start-up.
          • Loading custom assemblies or NinjaScripts.
          • Getting instrument updates from the server.
          ​This means that when NinjaTrader is started in Safe Mode, custom NinjaScript indicators, strategies, and add-ons will not be loaded in NinjaTrader.

Safe mode is used to help diagnose performance issues and isolate if an issue is caused by using a third-party add-on.

You could find this documented on this help guide page: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ance_tips2.htm

When NinjaTrader Desktop (Safe Mode) is closed and the regular NinjaTrader Desktop application is open, custom indicators, strategies, and add-ons would be loaded again.
          NinjaTrader_BrandonH

The strategies were deleted from the grid when NinjaTrader opened in safe mode... A close and reboot doesn't return them when the dll's load... Is this by design or should this be a behavior that doesn't happen... I loaded the strategies straight into the grid with no charts -AND- I tried loading charts with strategies and get the same results from Ninjatrader...

I also loaded to a workspace that didn't contain the charts with strategies at all and they were still deleted from the grid...

Please advise...

Comment

Hello brenthilburn,

Thanks for your notes.

I am not able to reproduce the behavior on my end. I opened NinjaTrader Desktop, added a strategy to the Strategies tab of the Control Center, saved the workspace, and closed NinjaTrader. Next, I opened NinjaTrader in Safe Mode and see the strategy removed from the Strategies tab (this is expected). Then, I closed NinjaTrader without saving the workspace, opened NinjaTrader Desktop (not in Safe Mode), and noted that the strategy appeared in the Strategies tab.

See this demonstration video: https://brandonh-ninjatrader.tinytak...NV8yMTY4NjY2Mg

Please create a clean environment for NinjaTrader Desktop 8.1.1.7 by following the steps below and use the steps seen in the demonstration video linked above to test if the behavior persists in the clean environment.

Creating a clean environment can be done by following the steps below:
            1. Close NinjaTrader 8, and rename the "NinjaTrader 8" folder in My Documents to something like: "NinjaTrader 8 OLD"
            2. Uninstall NinjaTrader from the Windows Control Panel and reinstall using the installer from account.ninjatrader.com
            3. Add the required indicators and test the template.
            If you ever need to switch back to your original platform, you may do so by closing NinjaTrader and swapping the platform folder names.

For example, Close NinjaTrader and rename the new "NinjaTrader 8" folder to "NinjaTrader 8 NEW" and the "NinjaTrader 8 OLD" folder to "NinjaTrader 8." Then restart the platform. Simply put: NinjaTrader 8 will always load the "NinjaTrader 8" folder in My Documents.​
            Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by dcriador, Yesterday, 10:45 AM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
            Started by SnailHorn, Yesterday, 10:49 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes