Opening vs Closing price TimeFrame discrepancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening vs Closing price TimeFrame discrepancy

NinjaTrader displays candles a bit different than I'm used to. I have UPCLOSED candles that have the opening price in the top and DOWNCLOSED candles with price on the bottom. I verified my candle colors for up and down and I'm using the "Last" price for my candles. I noticed the issue when I plotted my Midnight opening price and I originally thought my Trading Hours were set wrong. Can anyone guide me on how to fix this? I've attached a 60min and 1min screenshot showing the discrepancy i've tried to describe. (as well as another platform pic I've used which is why I saw the difference)
    Last edited by BigStrattyKane; 06-29-2023, 02:30 PM. Reason: Added TV datawindow pic

Hello BigStrattyKane,

I'm not clear I am understanding the issue.

The screenshot appears to be highlighting a bar that opened at 4421.75 and closed at 4520.50 as the close is less than the open this would be a down bar and from the second screenshot the color should be RoyalBlue which appears to match the chart.

If you are uncertain about which price is the open, open the Data Box and hover the mouse over the bar.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks ChelseaB. I've uploaded another screenshot. I guess the problem is that the candle in question should be downclosed on the Hour meaning it opened above. I'll add the data from another platform again to show you what I mean. As well as change the colors to Green (up) and Red (down). Attached are also the 60m and 1m
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello BigStrattyKane,

I'm not certain I am understanding the issue.

Are you stating that the color is correct for the data shown in the databox, but the open price and close price are not matching the CME website?

This appears to be the ES 09-23 June 28th which closed at 11:00 PM Central (23:00), is this correct?

The CME website appears to show the same down bar opening at 10:00PM (22:00) at an open price of 4421.75 and a close price of 4420.50.

Attached is a screenshot of the CME website showing the same bar that NinjaTrader shows.

Below is is a link to the cme website chart.

Note, the CME website shows bar time by the opening time of the bar while NinjaTrader shows bar time by the closing time of the bar.

Do you feel that the CME website is also incorrect?
        Attached Files

Comment

Ok. Thanks you answered the question. CMEgroup uses Tradingview which is what I was comparing the NinjaTrader data to. I figured it had to be something with which bar was considered to be the "midnight" bar. Thanks
          Last edited by BigStrattyKane; 06-29-2023, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	CandlestickDescribed.png Views:	5 Size:	6.5 KB ID:	1258340
            I may still be a bit confused are you saying the "midnight" bar on NT is the one that ends at 11:59:59 EST??? And still a little confused how Ninjatrader's OHLC and OLHC works then. A bearish (downclosed) candle should open from the top regardless of color correct?
            Last edited by BigStrattyKane; 06-29-2023, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Hello BigStrattyKane,

NinjaTrader chart bars are stamped by the close time of the bar.

A down bar has the open price greater than the close price.

Comment

Ok thanks. Wish there was a way to keep using this software, but that's too much to have relearn when it comes to my strategy. I'm used to a bar being "stamped" by the opening time. Thanks anyway.
                Last edited by BigStrattyKane; 06-30-2023, 07:46 AM.

Comment

I've noticed that too and it's pretty stupid and misleading. On ALL the other platforms I've used the candles are timestamped with the OPEN TIME as they should be -logically.
                  But NinjaTrader stupidly timestamps the candles using CLOSING TIME which doesn't even make sense and is confusing visually.

Example:
                  On all other platforms I've used in my life using a 5min candle at the U.S. Stock market open which is 6:30am Pacific time the candle timestamp says 6:30 because it is in fact 6:30.

On Ninja Trader it says 6:35 but it's actually 6:30. Pretty stupid.

So when you come over from another platform to use NinjaTrader your time based strategy will probably lose and you'll be confused for awhile...

Comment

Yea iTrade777. How is their understanding of candle formation different than everybody else's LOL? I was only trying because of the ability to use Replikanto, but naaaah....

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by TraderJA, Today, 12:06 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post TraderJA  
                    Started by SnailHorn, Yesterday, 10:49 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post SnailHorn