Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategies disappeared from Strategies tab.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategies disappeared from Strategies tab.

I recently upgraded from 8.0.27.1 to 8.1.1.6.
    My strategies that I have set up under the Strategies tab are gone after restarting Ninjatrader 8.1.1.6.

The reason I restarted was due to compilation errors (multiple orange lines) of a Ninjascript strategy, - I changed very minor things in the script so it shouldn't be due to my changes so most likely it was due to the install of the new version and to that I can say that I installed the new version to a folder that I created myself called NinjaTrader 8.1 under Program Files instead of suggested NinjaTrader 8. This is while still having NinjaTrader 8 folder in Documents folder.

I really hope they are retrievable. I have tried to fix it myself by uninstalling/repairing and I have taken as much backup as possible although it has started to get bit messy and I decided to post my question here instead of trying of fixing/damaging further.

Thanks,
    Cedalgo

I don't know about installing to the NinjaTrader 8.1 folder in Program Files. That sounds like it MIGHT work. What really matters is the Documents -> NinjaTrader 8 folder and the workspaces folder within that. Do you have a backup of the workspaces from before the upgrade? If so, copy that old worksapce back into your current folder.
    Last edited by QuantKey_Bruce; 06-06-2023, 04:41 AM.
    Bruce DeVault
    QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Hi Bruce,
      Yes i have some backup of workspace files. This is how my workspaces folder look like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	315
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	1254745

which file exactly should contain the Strategies tab configurations? I had them in the workspace called FirstNTazure. When i open that xml i only see definition for Strategy Analyser:

Views:	312
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	1254746

however this backup i might have taken after the issue occurred, not sure to be honest. it's becoming hard to keep track of all history. I might resort to just recreate the strategies. Luckily it wasn't too many but I don't want it to happen again!

​​

Comment

Hello Cedalgo,

If you had a compile error and restarted while having a compile error the strategies would be unloaded from the control center because the NinjaScript items wouldn't have loaded when you started the platform. You would need to re apply the strategies after you fix the compile error.

The strategies are stored in the database, to restore the strategies you would need to have used the backup tool before the compile error to create a backup so that you could restore an older version of the database after correcting the compile errors.

In regard to making a custom folder to install, that wouldn't affect the strategies but i would not suggest doing that. If you have another version installed to the normal NinjaTrader 8 folder and then later open and use that version you may corrupt your user data folder. The platform always looks for the documents/NinjaTrader 8 folder for your user data. If you have different versions of the platform installed you could end up making invalid files that don't work for one of the versions. The platform is expected to only be installed once on the computer and then it uses the documents folder for its user data.

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jesse,

I was recommended by your colleague on e-mail (case nr 03904801) to upgrade to newest version but no advice on using the backup tool. Now I upgraded and it's bit in a mess and would have to re-create strategies in the Strategies tab. Luckily it's not too many but it has halted my testing for several days. I'm not sure why i got the compilation errors, - maybe it's due to the fact that I installed the new version to a new empty folder that I called NinjaTrader 8.1 in Program Files in the attempt of having two different programs (along existing NinjaTrader 8 folder).

So having version 8.0.27.1, what right steps should i have taken to upgrade to newest version? Maybe I can reverse engineer my steps or what do you recommend?

Background: i was recommended to upgrade because multibroker add-on could not work any longer with 8.0.27.1. is that true?

Best
          Last edited by Cedalgo; 06-07-2023, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Hello Cedalgo,

You can check what compile errors you have using the NInjaScript editor.

To update you simply need to run the new installer and install over the current installation. If you ran the installer and installed to a second folder that will leave the old files in the original location. If you did that I would likely suggest to uninstall the platform, make sure the original NinjaTrader 8 folder in program files has been removed and then re install again. Your user data is held in the Documents/NinjaTrader 8 folder and would be left there when uninstalling/reinstalling.

If you have third party items being used that are not compatible with the new version you may get a compile error but you would just use the NinjaScript editor to look what error that is and then correct that.

You would need to upgrade to be able to use the multibroker addon, that was implemented recently and replaces the old license key system. Because licenses are no longer being generated and you purchased the addon after that point you would need to update to be able to use the addon.

Comment

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for the clearer information.

I still didn't try again yet because I'm figuring out if NT brokerage is something for me or not. In case I choose that, I would much like to ask for a refund of the broker add-on because 1: it was mentioned in the userguide (and still is, maybe you should update it?) that my version 8.0.27.1 was sufficient
              and 2: i simply haven't used it properly yet and my NT is broken so far due to upgrade issues. How can I ask for a refund?

Thanks,
              Cedalgo

Comment

Hello Cedalgo,

You can use the help -> email support option to see if there are any options to do that.

Comment

Ok thanks I did and I'll wait.

In the meantime I have reinstalled newest NT version and when I opened I got this pop up:

Views:	318
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	1255019

I clicked OK, and right after I followed some instructions given in support case 03904801 to perform some actions in the Database Management tool e.g. to repair db​. I did that and I restarted.

Then I opened Strategy Analyser and I noticed none of my custom strategies are there and got reminded of the above pop up that I maybe need to compile all of them.
                  I opened one strategy and tried to compile but I got multiple compilation errors:

Views:	284
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	1255020

As you can see there is a reference to NinjaTrader 8.1 folder that I previously created in Program Files. Right now there is no such folder, I simply followed default settings when I did latest round of install. How can I work around this issue now?

​Best,
                  Cédric

Comment

Hello Cedalgo,

The platform can automatically fix these errors, please do the following:
                    1. In the ninjaScript editor Right click -> References
                    2. In that menu remove each of the items listed in the error
                    3. Close the references menu
                    4. Compile.

Comment

That solved it.
                      Ideally I would also like to have all my strategies back in Strategies tab, but I think you mentioned that's not possible?

Alternatively is there a way to retrieve saved templates of strategy analyser? which folder should those be in, maybe i got a backup somewhere that i can copy over to the documents folder.

Meanwhile I'm not sure if it's correct that there is a Config.d4dc83 file in this folder? should i delete it?:

Views:	310
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1255025

Comment

Hello Cedalgo,

You can only restore the strategies if you made a backup that included the database file. If you had a compile error and restarted the platform they would have been removed. Most likely you just need to re apply the strategies at this point.

Templates for the various tools are located in the templates folder.

The file you circled is not going to be used, the file below it is the config file. I am unsure what would have named it that way.

Comment

Ok thanks for your prompt answers so far. I hope i won't encounter more issues.

Comment

Hi Jesse,

Can you please explain why this case occurs: this morning i experience gap in data although i had let both ibkr and NT open (running on a virtual machine).
                            I had strategies running and this morning i saw bit unexpected positions in the Account Position column in strategy tab so looking at Orders tab also bit strange behaviour. Then I tried to load a chart with the particular instrument and I saw a gap between around 11 PM (CET) and around 7 AM (CET).
                            One thing to note is that I had disabled the "Get data from server" option under Tools>Options>Market Data, because I once experience that strategy analyser runs faster with that box unchecked and last night i left it unchecked as well.

Can you please let me know how i can avoid such gap/interruptions? I know some workaround with deleting content in ..\db\cache and maybe turning off and on the connection but it's bit random so I appreciate a clear guide on how to circumvent this issue.

Best,
                            Cedalgo

Comment

Hello Cedalgo,

I wouldn't be able to comment on what may have happened based solely on the description. The loading of a new chart with a gap could be expected if for whatever reason the data was not received or recorded during that period of time. If you have the get data from server off and your PC didn't observe/record that data then you should have a gap for that period of time when loading a chart. I would suggest to leave get data from server on which would help to avoid that. You can check the log for that period of time to see if you had a disconnect or anything else reported to see if there is some explanation for that period of time being missing.

Regarding the positions and orders, you would have to go through the strategies logic to understand what specifically happened surrounding its orders.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by MacDad, 02-25-2024, 11:48 PM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post loganjarosz123  
                              Started by Belfortbucks, Today, 09:29 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes