What was the purpose of 8.1.1.x?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was the purpose of 8.1.1.x?

I have to do a new install of NT this week, for the CQG patch.

It's been 3 months since the release of 8.1.1.0 and it's subsequent patch upgrades.
    ​​​​​
    What was the purpose of the upgrade?
    I can see 100's of problems and 1000's of angry users over the forums.

What new features did it bring? I can't see anything in the release notes that's new or related in any way to the many RFTs that users are voting for.

I am atill on 8.0.27.1 and I need to decide whether to go to 8.0.28.0 or 8.1.x.x

Thanks

Originally posted by gaz0001 View Post
    I have to do a new install of NT this week, for the CQG patch.

It's been 3 months since the release of 8.1.1.0 and it's subsequent patch upgrades.
    ​​​​​
    What was the purpose of the upgrade?
    I can see 100's of problems and 1000's of angry users over the forums.

What new features did it bring? I can't see anything in the release notes that's new or related in any way to the many RFTs that users are voting for.

I am atill on 8.0.27.1 and I need to decide whether to go to 8.0.28.0 or 8.1.x.x

Thanks
    The short answer is nothing... They brought unwanted "security" by including the login screen... But this is what happens when your purchase another company with no real-world plan in mind and then go out of your way to "integrate" it with no real-world plan in mind... There are no REAL new features that would make the desktop platform better and it has made the user-experience much worse IMHO... And the fact that they haven't made it 30 days without a hotfix is a little disconcerting...

Really, stick with the 8.0.X.X path for now... If they go a year with no FIXES then I might consider upgrading...

Comment

From observation, the purpose of NT Desktop 8.1 appears to be to establish a baseline version that is compatible with web and mobile trading such that they all can share a connection, account and associated entitlements, and can see and work with each other's trades together as a group of tools for trading with NinjaTrader. That's what 8.1 does. The change to the way you log in and the change to the way licensure works are just things that helped do that.

A key underlying issue beneath these questions, I would say, is that the forum consists of 99.9% longtime and some relatively advanced and committed users of the Desktop platform (of course, since it's been out twenty years and the others are new) along with new users coming along looking for answers to questions, so these features don't seem to be helpful and the pain all seems pointless at times. NinjaTrader is looking to the future and taking (sometimes painful) steps to prepare for that future in which, eventually, web and mobile become vitally important even if they're seemingly unimportant at the beginning, and especially unimportant to longtime users of the Desktop platform who have lots of wants and needs that they've been waiting for.

That is the way I see it. There obviously are many perspectives.

A lot of the angst we are both reading and experiencing has to do with the fact that we wish NinjaTrader would make our priorities their priorities. But, management has a vision for where they want the company to go for both user and revenue growth, and that vision appears to feature web and mobile prominently, even if they're not all that today. Looked at from the perspective of "what would it take to get there in the long term with those goals" these changes in 8.1 fit into that vision, even though they rock the boat a lot in the short term and the roll-out has probably not been what they imagined and we could debate on what could be done better (as I am sure they have and are still doing). It's probably a bit like a battle - things never go quite as one plans, no matter how carefully one plans.

I do think they'll get there.

But I totally get the frustration and have posted a good bit myself about things I think could be better.

Hang in there.
      Last edited by QuantKey_Bruce; 06-04-2023, 05:37 AM.
      Bruce DeVault
      QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Hello gaz0001,

Thanks for your post.

NinjaTrader Desktop version 8.1 is compatible with NinjaTrader Web and NinjaTrader Mobile as QuantKey_Bruce has noted.

NinjaTrader Desktop 8.1 also has new tools, a new look, and a cloud-based trading infrastructure.

Please see this NinjaTrader FAQ article: https://ninjatrader.com/support/new-...jE2ODMwNDQyNzA.
        Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
        3 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
        Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
        4 responses
        0 likes