Upgrade removed my entire indicator folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade removed my entire indicator folder

I upgraded and discovered to my horror that my entire folder with all my useful indicators has been removed ( along with all the indicators).
    Why on earth would it do that?
    Every other folder eg MyIndicators is still there just my personal one has been deleted.

I have a backup but it's quite old ( that's my fault) but is this kind of thing normal??

No, it's not normal. An upgrade of NinjaTrader version does not normally do anything to your custom indicators. Is it possible it's more like a OneDrive problem? Are you using any sync software like OneDrive?
    Bruce DeVault
    QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Hello Mindset,

Thanks for your post.

As QuantKey_Bruce stated, an upgrade of NinjaTrader 8 does not typically do anything to your custom indicators.

What version of NinjaTrader did you update to? (8.0.28.0 or 8.1.1.6)

Are you using OneDrive to sync software on your PC?

Do you see the indicators listed in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\Indicators folder?
      Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi
        It gets worse - my backups all have archive errors :-(
        Fab.
        I do have OneDrive but it is not synced.
        What mystifies me the most is why the entire folder was removed?
        An upgrade just can't really do that.

I am taking deep breaths right now and trying to figure this out.

Comment

Ok - so I found that a ninjatrader Drawing indicator EWave was causing the issues - apparently

#Cbi.License.Log("Ewave");#

Causes the failure.
          Once I removed that line everthing compiled and my folder re appeared.
          If I uncomment the line after compiling it returns the same error.

Secondarily I beleive NT should look into backup errors - there is zero point in me backing up if when I come to use them they are all error ridden.
          As a user I have no way of knowing or to my knowledge am I able to check that they are fine.

Comment

Cbi.License.Log was deprecated as of 8.1. It was never a supported method, and developers who used it in 8.0 will find that their scripts are incompatible with 8.1. This is a risk anytime a developer uses an uindocumented and unsupported property or method.

It sounds like what happened in your case is not that your indicators were deleted by the upgrade, but rather, after the upgrade, your custom NinjaScript could not be COMPILED; ergo, they did not appear in the Indicators list in the running application. They were still there - they just needed to be fixed to be compatible with 8.1.

OneDrive is extremely problematic. I would recommend that you uninstall it if this is a computer you will be running NinjaTrader on long-term.
            Bruce DeVault

Comment

Hello Mindset,

Thanks for your notes.

QuantKey_Bruce is correct. Cbi.License.Log is not a supported method and was deprecated as of NinjaTrader 8.1. Any NinjaScripts created by third-party developers that use this may find that their scripts are no longer compatible with NinjaTrader 8.

It seems that you were not able to successfully compile which is why your NinjaScript indicators were not appearing on the platform, not that they were removed from the platform. Remove the script that is preventing you from being able to successfully compile and then run a compile in the NinjaScript Editor window. Please contact the developer of the third-party NinjaScript directly to inform them of the issue their script is causing so they may look into it and implement a fix.

As for your note on importing backup files, I have tested exporting a backup file using a previous version of NinjaTrader 8 (8.0.27.1) and then was able to successfully import the backup file onto NinjaTrader 8 (8.1.1.6).

The issue you are reporting might be caused by backing up third-party NinjaScripts that use unsupported code that was deprecated and trying to import that backup file. What exactly is the error message(s) you see when you try to import a NinjaTrader backup?

We are aware of a current behavior where the Database (Historical trade data) is not imported after successfully importing a backup file and our Development team is looking into this behavior to implement a fix for it.
              Last edited by NinjaTrader_BrandonH; 05-22-2023, 09:29 AM.

Comment

It simply says archive error .

Comment

Hello Mindset,

Thanks for your notes.

Please send an email to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with the backup file attached to your email so that I may investigate this further and please note which options were checked when exporting the backup file if possible. (ex: Configuration files, NinjaScript files, Templates, etc.)

In the subject of the email please include "ATTN: BrandonH" and in the body of the email include a link to this forum thread.

Also, follow the steps below to attach your Log and Trace files to your email.
                  • Open your NinjaTrader folder under, "Documents" (sometimes called, "My Documents")
                  • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
                  • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
                  • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

Comment

Hello Mindset,
                    If you are referring to the Ewave drawing tool problem #Cbi.License.Log("Ewave");#, it can be resolved by replacing a single line of code shown below:

replace
                    Cbi.License.Log("Ewave");

with
                    Cbi.UserEntitlement.Log("Ewave");​

Once replaced, Ewave can only be run on the new 8.1 platform - not backward compatible.

Comment

Or just delete that line. That's pretty useless - it's just adding the word "EWave" to your NinjaTrader Log tab. Pointless.
                      Bruce DeVault

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Karado58, 11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
                      8 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Option Whisperer  
                      Started by Option Whisperer, Today, 09:05 AM