Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Does the NT backup contain all required Visual Studio files too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the NT backup contain all required Visual Studio files too?

I am running NT 8.0.27.1 with Visual Studio community 2022 64 bit (version 17.5.4)
    Does the backup made with Export -> BackupFile contain all the VS information so that when restored it will run just as it was before the backup INCLUDING the Bookmarks ?

I know the "sln" file is mandatory but there may be others.

PS: I am not using NT 8.1 yet, until I finish my current project. When I tried it my system crashed and I don't want to spend time figuring out what the problem is.

Thank you.

Hello JGRtrader,

Visual studio is a seperate application that needs installed with the visual studio installer. NinjaTrader wont include anything you have in visual studio because that is an external application. The platform uses a auto generated .csproj file that is recreated with compiles, it does not normally have a .sln file so any extra features you use in visual studio won't be carried over. If you have extra files from third parties or other external software you need to avoid using the backup option and manually backup your documents/NinjaTrader 8 folder.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

If you mean Visual Studio from the perspective of just using it to edit your NinjaScript code that would otherwise be edited in NinjaScript Editor, it is not necessary to back anything up because the required files are regenerated each time.
      Bruce DeVault
      QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

attThank you. Yes, I use VS just to edit and it does compile on the NT compiler. It does put a sln file in bin -> Custom which is identified as "Visual Studio Solution." I know for past experience that if that file is not there or modified I lose all of my bookmarks in Visual Studio. With the 14,000 line bit of code, the bookmarks are essential (don't ask why 14,000 line of code).

So, if the NT backup does not carry the SLN file along, I will continue backing up the "NinjaTrade 8" folder on an external drive daily. According to the instructions I received from support, about recovering from the failed 8.1 install, I have to use the NT built in backup. Anyway, as I wrote before, that will wait until I get this project done and I will continue using NT 8.0 with VS as I have been doing.
        Last edited by JGRtrader; 04-25-2023, 12:05 PM. Reason: attaching image

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SLN file shown.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	1248382
          This is a clip of from the Custom folder that shows the "sln" file identified as "Visual Studio Solu...."

Comment

Yes, you can save all those, no problem. You're right - if you delete them, NT will recreate them, but if you have customized it you would lose those changes.
            Bruce DeVault
            QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Hello JGRtrader,

The .sln file is generated if you save the solution in visual studio, that is not generated by NinjaTrader so it wouldn't be collected in a backup. Only the .csproj file is generated by NinjaTrader, the .csproj is made up of the files you see in the NinjaScript editor.
              JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

In case somebody comes across this topic, I have subsequently learned more about the Solutions (sln) file that Visual Studio puts in the bin -> custom folder.
                If the Solution file is deleted, i will be rebuilt WITHOUT any bookmarks you may have made. If you want to preserve bookmarks you must backup the Solution file along with Custom. The bookmarks are not editable in the Solutions file. If you move the Solutions file from another backup into the current running project, then the bookmarks will be there but at incorrect line numbers.

So for me, as I use NT and Visual Studio (as editor only) the NT builtin backup is of no value and instead I backup the entire NinjaTrader 8 file to external media.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by burtoninlondon, Today, 12:38 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post burtoninlondon  
                Started by AaronKoRn, Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post AaronKoRn