Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error On Startup

Hello,
    I recently started getting the following error when starting NT8 64-bit. Any ideas about what is causing this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	162
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1247388

Thanks

Hello akbolduc,

May I confirm you are updated to 8.1.1.3?

Please close all open workspaces, then save the new blank workspace and restart, does the error still occur?
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

If you close Script Editor and save your workspace, then restart, it won't happen anymore.
      Bruce DeVault
      QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Actually, I shouldn't be so cavalier as to assume you're having the same problem I have. But, the problem I have involves the script editor, and in the trace files, it looks like this. If your workspace isn't saved with the script editor open, it does not happen - it only happens when you open a workspace that already has the script editor open.

Code:
        2023-03-08 12:57:35:403 *************** unhandled exception trapped ***************
        2023-03-08 12:57:35:403 Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
        Parameter name: index
        2023-03-08 12:57:35:417 System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
        Parameter name: index
        at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
        at #b3b.#j3b.#o1j()
        at ActiproSoftware.Windows.Controls.SyntaxEditor.Outlining.Implementation.OutliningManager.#s1j.#gaf()
        at ActiproSoftware.Windows.Controls.SyntaxEditor.Outlining.Implementation.OutliningManager.#r1j.#gaf()
        at ActiproSoftware.Text.Tagging.TagAggregatorBase`1.#H2i.#gaf()
        at ActiproSoftware.Windows.Controls.SyntaxEditor.TextFormatting.TextViewLineLayoutGroupFactory.#6lc(ITextView #N5b, ITagAggregator`1 #y9b, ITagAggregator`1 #jUj, ITagAggregator`1 #z9b, TextRange #I, Double #hpi)
        at #m3b.#b4b.#8lc(ITextView #N5b, ITagAggregator`1 #y9b, ITagAggregator`1 #jUj, ITagAggregator`1 #z9b, TextRange #I, Double #hpi)
        at #m3b.#b4b.#cmc(ITextView #N5b, ITagAggregator`1 #y9b, ITagAggregator`1 #jUj, ITagAggregator`1 #z9b, Int32 #Oqc, Double #hpi, Double #Dzf, Double #Ezf, Boolean #ipi)
        at #m3b.#c4b.#pmc(ITextView #N5b, ITagAggregator`1 #y9b, ITagAggregator`1 #jUj, ITagAggregator`1 #z9b, Size #Gzf, TextPosition #d9b, Double #kUj, Boolean #Hzf, Boolean #ipi)
        at ActiproSoftware.Windows.Controls.SyntaxEditor.Primitives.EditorView.PerformViewLineLayout()
        at ActiproSoftware.Windows.Controls.SyntaxEditor.Primitives.EditorView.ArrangeOverride(Size finalSize)
        at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.ArrangeCore(Rect finalRect)
        at System.Windows.UIElement.Arrange(Rect finalRect)
        at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout()
        at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayoutCallback(Object arg)
        at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
        at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
        at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
        at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.OnResize()
        at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
        at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
        at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
        at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
        at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
        at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)​
        Last edited by QuantKey_Bruce; 04-21-2023, 06:05 AM.
        Bruce DeVault

Comment

See this response from ActiPro regarding a very similar report from another customer:

My guess is that the problem is your multi-threading. Say for instance the editor is in
          the middle of painting a line (which it has to do with each caret blink) and you are using
          a secondary thread to update text, thereby changing tokens. The painting code will probably
          blow up like in your case. I bet you that's what's going on.

Are you trying to Invoke a call to UndoableInsert after your replace all operation?

Also, language changes need to be done on the main UI thread as well. You need to call
          "editor.Document.Language.IsUpdating = true" before making any pattern group changes and
          "editor.Document.Language.IsUpdating = false" afterwards. But again, that needs to be done
          on the main thread. So if you are doing it from the secondary thread, please try moving that
          code to the main one.​
          That customer later confirmed it was indeed a threading problem.

We're not calling UndoableInsert, and we're handling the Language.IsUpdating properly. It was the threading. Thanks!
          Since 8.0 did not do this, it would make sense to examine what threading-related changes have been made in 8.1 regarding the script editor.
          Bruce DeVault

Comment

The main issue is that the currently used version of the Actipro Syntax Editor is waaaaaay obsolete and desperately needs to be updated to the latest release. More on this here.

Thanks.
            Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
            jeronymite
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Originally posted by jeronymite View Post
              The main issue is that the currently used version of the Actipro Syntax Editor is waaaaaay obsolete and desperately needs to be updated to the latest release. More on this here.

Thanks.
              Yes, I agree with this, but they changed something between 8.0 and 8.1 because it did not used to do this. So, it does make sense if updating the plugin is not feasible or needs to be put off to look at what they changed and see how they broke the threading so they can put it back in the interim. Of course, if time permits, they should upgrade to the latest, but fixing it where it doesn't crash would be an improvement, because it did not used to crash and somehow in the last two months this was broken.
              Bruce DeVault

Comment

Totally agree, QuantKey_Bruce. Wondering if what they changed is quite legitimate, but the current Actipro Editor just cannot or does not handle it correctly (or at all) for some reason?

Thanks.
                jeronymite

Comment

Originally posted by jeronymite View Post
                  Totally agree, QuantKey_Bruce. Wondering if what they changed is quite legitimate, but the current Actipro Editor just cannot or does not handle it correctly (or at all) for some reason?

Thanks.
                  Unknowable (at least, to us). But, it did not crash before, and now it crashes. So, if they're not going to update it yet, maybe they could set aside the changes temporarily so that at least it isn't crashing anymore. Crashes that are not easy to explain to customers are bad. You and I may be able to deduce the sort of thing that's happening here and have a conversation about it, but to many traders who are users of this product, this just looks like the product is broken and that is problematic. That is why if they can't upgrade it immediately because that's too heavy a lift, I think they should consider putting it back so it isn't crashing in the interim.
                  Bruce DeVault

Comment

QuantKey_Bruce Completely agree.

Thanks.
                    jeronymite

Comment

Hello All,
                      I think I have seen a similar error once or twice in all versions of NT at one time or another. It seemed that the indicator or strategy was trying to analyze a data array/series before it was ready to be analszed e.g. Say for argument sake the array/series for an instrument has loaded the last 10 bars into the array/series and then its tried to say get the MA(40) of 40 bars but the data doesn't exist at this point in time so its trying to find data outside of the range. So I added the following 2 lines just after OnBarUpdate() changing the 40 to the minimum bars needed for the Indicator or Strategy to work. See if this works.

Cheers have a good day

protected override void OnBarUpdate()
                      {
                      if (BarsInProgress != 0)
                      return;

if(CurrentBar < 40) return;
                      Last edited by brenton; 05-07-2023, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by SugarDefHealth, Today, 03:30 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post SugarDefHealth  
                      Started by ETFVoyageur, Today, 02:08 AM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post ETFVoyageur