X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market data on NinjaTrader demo account

I have an NT account on the web portal.

I have recently funded a Live account.

Today, I also created a Demo account for testing.

Today, I have subscribed to a Level 1 Market Data plan through the NT portal.

From the desktop NinjaTrader program I can create connections to both the Live and Demo accounts.

When I'm connected to the Live account I can open a chart and it populates with data, say ES 03-23.

But when I'm connected to the Demo account, no charts will populate.

If there's a way to get market data when connected to the demo account, I can't figure it out.

Can you offer some guidance.

Thanks,

Hello BarzTrading,

Thank you for your post.

So I may accurately assist you, please answer all of the following questions:
    • What version of NinjaTrader are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.?.?.?)
    • Are both connections being made with the same username or different usernames?
    • What instrument symbol (and expiry if applicable) have you selected? For example, ES 03-22, AAPL, EURUSD, etc.
    • (For a chart) what interval is selected? For example, 5 minute, 1 day, 2000 volume, 4 Renko, etc.
    • Do you receive an error on the screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?
    • Do you have multi-provider mode enabled or no? This option is found at Control Center > Tools > Options > General.
    I look forward to your reply.
    Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Answers:
      • What version of NinjaTrader are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.?.?.?)
      v8.1.1.3
      • Are both connections being made with the same username or different usernames?
      Same username
      • What instrument symbol (and expiry if applicable) have you selected? For example, ES 03-22, AAPL, EURUSD, etc.
      I was selecting ES 03-23. No bar size would load. No error. The chart just sits there without data.
      Prompted by your question, I tried ES 06-23 and the data loaded. I'm used to using ES ##-## with Kinetick. Is there a similar nomenclature with the portal data feed? Or is it always required that one choose a specific contract expiration month?
      • (For a chart) what interval is selected? For example, 5 minute, 1 day, 2000 volume, 4 Renko, etc.
      I can load various bar sizes now.
      • Do you receive an error on the screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?
      No errors. No log messages. The chart window just sits there doing nothing... when I used ES 03-23.
      • Do you have multi-provider mode enabled or no? This option is found at Control Center > Tools > Options > General.
      ​Multi-provider is enabled.

Questions:

So, it seems the market data issue is resolved, but I have a couple of follow up questions now.
      • I name the NT portal connections when I create them, but then the names get reverted to just "Live" and "Simulation". It won't remember the names I give it. I think it takes a restart of NT before the names are lost.
      • If I am connected to both Live, Simulation and Kinetick accounts (say NTB Live, NTB Demo, and Kinetick)--I am able to do this--how do I know which data feed a chart is associated with when I open it? On the accounts tab, I see the Connection column and the Display Name column. I'm confused about how NT chooses the portal data feed or the Kinetick data feed because I can open a chart before it is ever associated with an account.
      ​​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	NTAccounts.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1246180
      • How does Global Simulation Mode affect this? Even when I have it enabled, I can still connect to my Live account. However, it appears that if Global Simulation mode is enabled, that on the strategy properties, I am unable to choose either the Live or Demo account associated with my accounts in the NinjaTrader portal. I can only choose my Sim101 account to associate with a strategy. Why wouldn't I be able to connect to the Demo account? Is it because the whole point of the Demo account is to truly behave like the Live account, even though the orders are not placed on a real-money account?

Thanks,​​

Comment

Hello BarzTrading,

Thank you for your reply.

I am glad to hear that using the ES 06-23 contract resolved the data issue. Although Kinetick supports continuous contracts, they are not supported with NinjaTrader data. That said, there is a "merge policy" setting in the platform that will load the data essentially the same as a continuous contract would be loaded. The default selection is Merge Back Adjusted. For more information on merge policy:

When it comes to multiple connections, the default behavior is for the data loaded on the charts to be based on the order in which you connect based on supported instrument types. There is a more thorough explanation in the help guide here. Otherwise, you may set up a preferred provider for each instrument type for both historical and real-time data by going to Control Center > Tools > Options > Market Data. More info on setting up preferred connections may be found here:

The idea behind Global Simulation Mode is that only a simulation account is allowed to be selected when it is enabled. The demo account is not a simulation account that is simulated locally on your PC like the Sim101 account; demo accounts are server-side and involve sending information back and forth between your PC and server to place demo orders.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
        Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Haiasi, 04-25-2024, 06:53 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Massinisa  
        Started by Creamers, Today, 05:32 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes