Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How best to monitor to not receive a margin violation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How best to monitor to not receive a margin violation?

If I have one contract open and I continually move my stop loss down what setting in the control window for Ninja Trader should I view to ensure that my account maintains the $50 micro margin amount and that I do not receive a violation fee?

Today I had an account cash value of $130 and an unrealized loss of $38 and while I was monitoring the market my position was liquidated and I received a $50 margin violation.

Is there a setting within the control window that I can monitor to ensure that I do not receive any future margin violations?

Hello Newtrader101,

Thank you for your post.

The following blog post on our website should cover the details you are looking for:
    Futures traders are responsible for keeping their account balances within the margin guidelines specified by their broker. Learn to manage your positions to meet margin requirements with NinjaTrader.

Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.
    Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Which instrument were you trading?

Comment

Originally posted by Newtrader101 View Post
        If I have one contract open and I continually move my stop loss down what setting in the control window for Ninja Trader should I view to ensure that my account maintains the $50 micro margin amount and that I do not receive a violation fee?

Today I had an account cash value of $130 and an unrealized loss of $38 and while I was monitoring the market my position was liquidated and I received a $50 margin violation.

Is there a setting within the control window that I can monitor to ensure that I do not receive any future margin violations?

Trading futures with $130 account balance?!?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by backtester831 View Post

Trading futures with $130 account balance?!?!?!?!
          Micros have $50 margin requirements at NinjaTrader and no minimum to open.
          Source: https://ninjatrader.com/futures/

You don't win much, but you don't lose much, either. Perhaps your time.
          Bruce DeVault
          QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Just to confirm- If my "Excess interday margin" drops below zero into a negative number, I will be liquidated and receive a margin violation correct?
            Also, how can I set a daily loss limit on a sim account?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	242
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1245662

Comment

Hello Newtrader101,

Thank you for your reply.

That is correct; if your account does not meet the margin requirement, such as the Excess Intraday Margin dropping below zero, your account is subject to liquidation and applicable fees as noted on the following page:
              The NinjaTrader risk team evaluates market conditions in real-time and reserves the right to adjust intraday margins in accordance with market volatility.

If you have additional questions, I suggest reaching out to the Trade Desk at orders[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com

As for setting a daily loss limit, this option is not available for the Sim101 account or any local simulation accounts in the platform. This is, however, an option for the server-side demo account when using the latest version of NinjaTrader. If you connect to the "Simulation" connection, this will connect you to the server-side demo account and a daily loss limit may be set in the account portal for that account in the Risk settings as detailed in the following guide:

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
              Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by cre8able, Yesterday, 01:16 PM
              3 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post cre8able  
              Started by ChartTourist, Today, 08:22 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes