Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual Desktop Win 10

Hi,
    I use Windows 10 with Virtual Desktops with a number of charts per virtual desktop.

When I go in any menu on a chart, for example the properties of the chart, then the order of the charts on the Desktops will change.

For example:

Chart 1-4 are on Desktop 1.
    Chart 5-8 are on Desktop 2.

Now I want to change an indicator, or other properties. I do not have to make changes, but as soon as I open a menu from the charts, the order will change randomly like this:

Chart 1 and 3 are still on Desktop 1.
    All other charts are now on Desktop 2.

This is annoying because I have to place them back to their original desktops again and again. Every time I open a menu on a chart, which is quite often!

Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you.

Hello maggo123,

Thank you for your post.

Please answer the following:
    • Which version of Windows 10 are you using? This may be found by going to the Start menu then searching for "About your PC" and the version will be listed under the "Windows Specifications" section. I am looking for the Version and OS Build numbers.
    • What version of NinjaTrader are you using? This may be found at Control Center > Help > About
    • Do you receive any errors on the screen? Are there any errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do the errors report?
    If possible, please provide screenshots or a video that demonstrates this behavior and the steps to reproduce it.
    • To send a screenshot with Windows 10 or newer I would recommend using the Windows Snipping Tool.
    • Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save it as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.
    ​I look forward to your reply.
    Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Emily,
      I made a video. As you can see in the video I opened 3 charts of the ES and 3 of the NQ and then placed them on two different virtual desktops. Then I went into a menu on one NQ chart and you will see that one of the ES charts switched from its virtual desktop to the other one. It won't stop there. With more charts and more opening of menus or indicator settings, they will all switch places randomly whenever a menu is opened.

The OS from the video is Windows Server 2022 Datacenter, Version 21H2, OS Build 20348.169. But I got the same problem with a non-server Windows 10 version. Can't remember the exact version.

Ninjatrader in the video is 8.0.27.1 64-bit, but I got the same problem with 8.0.26.0 64-bit.

I tried on two different computers, same problem...

There are no errors on the screen and no errors in the Log tab.

I uploaded the video here: [REDACTED]
      Last edited by NinjaTrader_Emily; 04-05-2023, 07:56 AM. Reason: removed link to unsafe file download site

Comment

Hello maggo123,

Thank you for your reply.

The video file was downloaded as an .exe and I do not trust running that file type from that site. I am not familiar with anonfiles though when I searched for more details on Google the results were pretty negative. Please try sending the video through the following publicly available file sharing site: https://wetransfer.com/

I appreciate your patience and understanding. I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

That is not a safe attachment - upon examination, it installs software inappropriate for your computer and should be removed from the forum. Don't post .exe files here.
          Bruce DeVault
          QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Wow, I uploaded it as a .mov file and even downloaded it myself to test. I was not aware that it was switched to an exe. I used this site many times before and never had a problem. I am glad that you did not download the file and that you removed the link. I am sorry for this.

I will upload the video again on wetransfer.

(Edit: I was curious and uploaded a random file to the site again and downloaded it to see what happens. It behaved normally and I got my file in the same format as I uploaded it. No exe or anything. If you still have the original link from my post, could you send it to me via PM? I really want to know how that happened.

Edit2: I found the link from my original post. I don’t know why you see an exe file. It says “ninjatrader.mov” on my screen and when I download it’s indeed the video I uploaded. No exe?!
            I still urge you not to download anything as this seems fishy, but if you have a screenshot where it says anything about an exe or any software that will be installed, I could find out what is going on)
            Last edited by maggo123; 04-05-2023, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Hello maggo123,

Thank you for your reply.

The file is in my recycle bin. It downloaded as ninjatrader_mov.exe:

Have you had a chance to upload the video to WeTransfer? I would really like to see the behavior you are reporting and check if I am able to reproduce it on my end. This will help to understand what might be the potential cause so we can identify if there is a solution for your setup on the virtual desktops.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Thank you for the screenshot. I will never use that site again!

I did upload it to wetransfer. I converted the mov to an mp4 for your convenience. You can download one or the other via this link:

EDIT: Link

Thank you
                Last edited by maggo123; 04-06-2023, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Hello maggo123,

Thank you for that video.

I appreciate the demonstration. Upon further investigation, I am seeing that this is a previously reported behavior when using a Windows 10 virtual desktop; in the past, the Windows frame and toolbar were missing for charts loaded on a virtual desktop. Our development team implemented a resolution for this, however, there are still some limitations and unintended behavior due to the Windows 10 architecture that can result in chart windows being shown on other virtual desktops when a modal window (such as Data Series, Properties, Indicators, Strategies, etc) is open on a chart.

At this time, we do not support Windows 10 virtual desktops. We are currently tracking the impact this has on our clients and the interest to add support for virtual desktops via a feature request with tracking ID SFT-926. I have added your vote to this feature request. Please reference the internal tracking number SFT-926 when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:​Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Karado58, 11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
                  8 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Option Whisperer  
                  Started by Option Whisperer, Today, 09:05 AM
                  0 responses
                  1 view