Sync NT8 Across Multiple Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sync NT8 Across Multiple Computers

I have NT8 installed on my home PC, work PC, and laptop. It's a pain to have 3 sets of charts in various stages depending on the last time I used one to trade. How can I sync changes across all instances, e.g., have certain NT files in a cloud location that copies? Can I export a file? Something so each time I open up at a different location I don't have to redraw all lines and redo all configs

The workspace files located in your <User Folder>\Documents\NinjaTrader 8\workspaces is where the charts, indicators and drawing tools are saved to. If you would like to use that on multiple machines you would need to copy that to a shared location. Any cloud service would work.

You can take a few approaches to keeping them in sync.

1. Manually copy it from the cloud to the PC before launching NinjaTrader. Then manually copying it back to the cloud each time you are done with it.
    2. Writing a script via a Windows Power Shell or Batch file. In this case the script would copy the file from the cloud to your documents folder, then launch NInjaTrader, and when you close NinjaTrader it would copy it back to the cloud.
    3. Use source control such as git. The workspace files are simple XML files. They could be submitted and retrieved and the history of all your saves would be maintained. For any reading about this solution, be warned that the xml files don't always get saved in the same order and one small change to the Workspace file could result in a lot of re-ordered or adjusted parts of the document. In this case you would still use a script to get the latest copy locally and save it back to the source control system after you are done.

Here is an example of a Windows .bat (batch file) that would do the job.

Code:
    copy "C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\OneDrive\NinjaTrader Shared Stuff\My SharedWorkspace.xml" "C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\Documents\NinjaTrader 8\Workspaces" /y
    "%ProgramFiles%\NinjaTrader 8\NinjaTrader.exe"
    copy  "C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\Documents\NinjaTrader 8\Workspaces" "C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\OneDrive\NinjaTrader Shared Stuff\My SharedWorkspace.xml" /y
    The above assumes
    • You are using NinjaTrader 8.27.1 or later. If you are using a older version then its located in %ProgramFiles(x86)% instead of %ProgramFiles%
    • You subtitue <Your User Name> for the folder that your files are stored in which is usually in C:\Users
    Words of caution
    • You must make sure each machine connects and uploads the file to the shared service before starting NinjaTrader or you won't see your changes.
    • You must close and reopen the workspace to get the changes made from one machine to the other.
    • There's no good way to merge changes made on 2 machines.

Additionally, if you want orders and other information shared between two computers, you will want to copy your database file. Its located in the "NinjaTrader 8\db\NinjaTrader.sqlite" file. This file contains orders made, instrument lists and instruments modified. There's no saving of this file explicitly. Its used while NinjaTrader is open so making sure NinjaTrader is closed before you copy it is necessary.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ntbone; 04-17-2023, 02:39 PM.

Comment

if just like that why NT8 new cloud version dont have that already set up as default, at least for lifetime users ???

Comment

While the solution above is relatively easy to handle if done manually, automated is more challenging in the situation where conflicts could arise if changes are made on 2 machines at different times. Note the words of caution section. Those scenarios require careful handling.

Comment

It should not be that hard for those NT developers, I know and use a platform Profit Pro from Nelogica that is a huge copy of NT and they do have that auto sync that only thing is they only allow you do use one machine at time but all the studies and templates and workspaces are sync auto.

Comment

Hello eddiekellertri,

I have forwarded the suggestion to save settings and data of NinjaTrader Desktop in the cloud as a feature request. Thank you for your feedback.
            JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The internal tracking number for this feature requests is SFT-5554. We added your vote. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting us if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.​

Comment

Any updates on this matter ?

Comment

Unfortunately there is no update on this feature request - it is still on the list of possible future enhancements.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by cls71, Today, 04:45 AM
                  0 responses
                  1 view
                  0 likes
                  Last Post cls71
                  by cls71

Started by mjairg, 07-20-2023, 11:57 PM