Collapse

Will NT8 development be forked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.1.1.1 released last night does remember the username. We still need a way to remember the password and skip this prompt.

I get the frustration, but realistically, the development will not be forked, and the train is moving forward.

I continue to believe that there should be a way to "remember me" and "keep me logged in" until we explicitly sign out on the Desktop platform only.

Bruce DeVault
    QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Hello all,

I want to ensure everyone here that we are sincerely listening to the feedback and suggestions posted here and in other threads regarding the sign on issue, and as mentioned we released a new version which allows the username to be saved, and the team will continue to look into further improvements that may be possible as quickly as we can.

Regarding the original topic of development resources between 8.0 and 8.1, I want to stress that maintaining the stability of both these avenues is of utmost importance to the team. While it's likely in the future we will require an update from the 8.0 path we understand this should not be a quick and mandatory process for users.

I encourage everyone to stay tuned for updates on several of the concerns addressed here and on other topics. Should there be any significant changes to any of these decisions and strategies going forward we will be sure to let you know.

Thanks for feedback and patience while we address some of these concerns!
      Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Just a quick thought on the implementation of the sign in... Why not offer a solution for both sides? That is...
        When initially starting 8.1, you're prompted with the following:
        • Username
        • Password
        • Dropdown with options:
          • Require Username and Password for next login
          • Require Password only for next login
          • Maintain automated login for this period. two dropdowns appear dropdown appears
            • Selection of 1 through 6
            • Selection of Day, Week, or Month (from 1 day through 7 months)
          • Maintain automated login until next upgrade
          • Maintain login indefinitely, popup appears
            • Security warning and "you accept all risks" legal jargon. By entering your name/username below, you assume all risks and indemnify NinjaTrader.
            • Enter full name that matches the account (or the username again)
        That way, NinjaTrader gets their login and security, and the users get to pick how frequently they want to login, knowing and accepting the risks.

For what it's worth...
        Matt

Comment

I think that the new implementations by NT are a step in the direction of taking away from CURRENT Non or Low Revenue Producing Lifetime & especially Lifetime Multi Broker users trading with other brokers & using external data feeds.

It's obvious with the new implementations & complete disregard for current users that the New High Revenue producing Trader is the priority here.
          Making it more difficult to access the platform through a login could be the first step in a grander plan for all we know.

What direction does NT take next?
          I started a thread asking if out Lifetime Multi Broker licenses will be honored for a lifetime with no response so far...

What's coming next I think is the question we all should be asking

Comment

Originally posted by Leeroy_Jenkins View Post
            Does NT7 use the same old adapter? If so NT7 also stops working alongside NT8.0.XX. It seems they're not planing to do this at least in the near future.
            Well, that might be how they (NT mgmt) weasel's their way out
            of ever having to take serious blame for NT7's demise -- esp if
            this demise seems to come with a relatively short notice and
            catches a lot of diehard NT7 users by 'surprise' -- and esp if this
            action comes about by some third party.

It might be there are no sunset plans for NT7 precisely because
            they've decided to let it 'die naturally' based upon the technology
            cocoon surrounding it -- all third party dependency stuff, such as
            adapters, or security protocols, or OS issues, that evolve past
            what NT7 (and it's .NET 3.5 era) are able to handle.

Witness how Win7 has only now become technologically unusable
            with 8.1.1.0 -- due to some security features that Win7 apparently
            (according to NT mgmt) does not possess.

What security features?
            If the specifics of the problem were well known enough in the deep
            technical sense, it's possible that Win7 could be patched (perhaps
            by the Win7 user) well enough to stay relevant to 8.1 -- but if MS
            is needed in making that patch, the level of patch difficulty has now
            multiplied greatly.

-=o=-

I hear ya. Although my hypothetical was about 8.0 becoming obsolete,
            it's easy to see how NT7 could be even more vulnerable to this kind of
            'unplanned and unannounced' obsolescence scenario.

An official doomsday for NT7 may never come about. But it may come
            about unofficially, and perhaps quickly (maybe even too quickly), based
            upon things like the hypothetical 3rd-party scenario I put forward.

To those users who still find value in NT7, esp to those who find NT8
            inadequate (lag problems, instability, whatever), it will be sad goodbye
            for those people to lose the rock solid stability of NT7.

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post
              Witness how Win7 has only now become technologically unusable
              with 8.1.1.0 -- due to some security features that Win7 apparently
              (according to NT mgmt) does not possess.
              What security features?
              If the specifics of the problem were well known enough in the deep
              technical sense, it's possible that Win7 could be patched (perhaps
              by the Win7 user) well enough to stay relevant to 8.1 -- but if MS
              is needed in making that patch, the level of patch difficulty has now
              multiplied greatly.
              A key issue is that NinjaTrader 7 makes RESTful API requests to do various things which relies on the operating system's basic browser functionality functioning, yet Windows 7 no longer receives root certificate updates so connection with a secure website fails completely. You can update them manually (see for instance this link or many others you could get by searching for Windows 7 and root certificate update). But, supposing you do so and get it going again, you're really just putting or keeping yourself in a compromised, vulnerable position. I would recommend you get off of Windows 7 as soon as you possibly can because it is not being updated or maintained and security is going to be abysmal. I have not myself run Windows 7 in a long time and am certainly not volunteering to support it - I think it's a terrible idea - I'm just trying to help you understand what one of the problems is.
              Bruce DeVault

Comment

Just in case you missed the post on other threads... Here a solution until NT delivers something else (fat chance):

I just threw together an exe using "auto-it" to start NT, enter my login info and go...
                It works fine on my systems (Win 10, Win 11, Win server 2019) but should work on any windows machine.
                to use:
                1. copy the attached exe into where-ever (I use my documents folder)
                2. create a text file called "NT_logon.txt" (in you "documents" folder) with three lines; user (line one), password (line two) and the full path with the NT exe (on line three)
                To use just run the exe "nt_logon" and it will start NT...
                Note: the attached file is a ZIP with the the exe and source-code in it...
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by waltFX View Post
                  Just in case you missed the post on other threads... Here a solution until NT delivers something else (fat chance):

I just threw together an exe using "auto-it" to start NT, enter my login info and go...
                  It works fine on my systems (Win 10, Win 11, Win server 2019) but should work on any windows machine.
                  to use:
                  1. copy the attached exe into where-ever (I use my documents folder)
                  2. create a text file called "NT_logon.txt" (in you "documents" folder) with three lines; user (line one), password (line two) and the full path with the NT exe (on line three)
                  To use just run the exe "nt_logon" and it will start NT...
                  Note: the attached file is a ZIP with the the exe and source-code in it...
                  waltFX You might consider having a fourth line in the file to have it click on Live or Simulation which is the next prompt that appears if they are using new-style login credentials (not multi-provider mode).

But, I steadfastly maintain, this should be an inbuilt feature of NinjaTrader Desktop. It has been for two decades, and now that functionality has been removed.
                  Bruce DeVault

Comment

good suggestion but then I would need to see if it is a "multi-broker" sub... No sure where/how to determine and if there is any interest.
                    Maybe have a separate exe for non-multi-broker subs?

Comment

Originally posted by waltFX View Post
                      good suggestion but then I would need to see if it is a "multi-broker" sub... No sure where/how to determine and if there is any interest.
                      Maybe have a separate exe for non-multi-broker subs?
                      Can't ahk check if the Live or Simulation window is open?

Comment

waltFX consider encrypting your login credentials, so they are not stored plaintext etc.

https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3...ncryptData.htm
                        Last edited by balltrader; 03-31-2023, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by balltrader View Post
                          waltFX consider encrypting your login credentials, so they are not stored plaintext etc.

https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3...ncryptData.htm
                          Good point.

But again, times 1,000... this should be built into the platform, not an unsupported external script. This functionality has been a part of NinjaTrader for almost twenty years and was supported until a few weeks ago. Please give us the ability to "remember me and keep me signed in" if we elect to do so.
                          Last edited by QuantKey_Bruce; 03-31-2023, 11:23 AM.
                          Bruce DeVault

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
                          4 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post DynamicTest  
                          Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM