Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to copy strategies in Strategies tab to new computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to copy strategies in Strategies tab to new computer?

Hello, can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong? See attached screenshot of the Strategies tab I want to copy to a new computer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	329
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1237722

On original computer, I created a NT backup file, with the options in the screenshot enabled:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	306
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1237723

I import the backup file to the new computer. Everything is copied, including 3rd party indicators, workspaces, charts, etc. EXCEPT for the Strategies tab. The Strategies tab is blank on the new computer. What am I doing wrong? Has exporting the strategies tab broken on NT 8.0.27.1?

Is anyone able to successfully copy the strategies tab to a new computer? NT support, can you please try it yourself right now to see if it works? If not through a backup file, are there any files in the NT Folder to manually copy?

Hello backtester831,

Thank you for reaching out.

I tried this on my end and got the same results. I will be reporting this to the development team for further investigation. In the meantime, I have identified a workaround. Please follow these steps to manually transfer your database file from your export machine over to the import machine:
    • From the original computer where you created the backup file:
      • Close NinjaTrader
      • Open the Windows file explorer and navigate to the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db folder
      • Copy the file 'NinjaTrader.sqlite'
    • Next, transfer the file (such as via email, cloud drive, or USB drive) to the computer where you are importing the backup
      • Make sure NinjaTrader is closed, then navigate to the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db folder
      • Paste the copied 'NinjaTrader.sqlite' file into this folder
        • If prompted, select the option to replace the existing NinjaTrader.sqlite file
      • Launch NinjaTrader and test
    I appreciate your patience. Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Emily; 03-03-2023, 11:24 AM.
    Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Emily View Post
      Hello backtester831,

I tried this on my end and got the same results. I will be reporting this to the development team for further investigation. In the meantime, I have identified a workaround. Please follow these steps to manually transfer your database file from your export machine over to the import machine:
        • Close NinjaTrader
        • Open the Windows file explorer and navigate to the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db folder
      • Next, transfer the file (such as via email, cloud drive, or USB drive) to the computer where you are importing the backup
        • Make sure NinjaTrader is closed, then navigate to the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db folder
          • If prompted, select the option to replace the existing NinjaTrader.sqlite file
      I appreciate your patience. Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
      Thank you! Copying NinjaTrader.sqlite worked!

Comment

Hello!

After change to version 8 in last August, I have several problems that never happen in version 7 (at least in last 3 years).
        Some problems also I write here and solved, but others I try to solve by me... read the forum etc.
        BUT...

I have some problems in last months with NinjaTrader and one of them that annoys me is the BACKUP that does not work.

1.º
        I read this topic and the file "NinjaTrader.sqlite" is NOT in backup, why?
        Why I said that:
        because time to time - 3 times in last two months when Ninja starts not come with my all strategies!
        I try the backup, so in second time that happen... I think... well let do the backup if the problem happens again.
        and happened ... I try restoring the backup but not appear my strategies... that consumed me a lot of time to put in charts!

I read... this topic... uau...solved... only one file... but this file does not have in BAckup!!!!!

Please solved this problem in future update version.

What I am to do... now... I am going to copy this file... but... it is not normal!

2.ª
        In version 7 and duplicate the workspace and the copy have all... charts and strategies...
        But in version 8 not!!
        Please why not?

So two ways to save my time... and none of them work.

If they have some other way to give me back my strategies I appreciate well to know.
        thanks for all.
        ------------

Edit:
        3.º
        I forget to write that I have some errors in indicators that I buy (ninjacators) and work very well during months and now they have this error:
        "ndicator 'ncatVolatilityTrendSignals': Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method on bar -1: You are accessing an index with a value that is invalid since it is out-of-range. I.E. accessing a series [barsAgo] with a value of 5 when there are only 4 bars on the chart."

Cuould you say why this happen?

Other error in other indicator:

"2023-02-14 13:08:26:273|3|4|Indicator 'ncatMomentumReversalZones': Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method on bar -1: You are accessing an index with a value that is invalid since it is out-of-range. I.E. accessing a series [barsAgo] with a value of 5 when there are only 4 bars on the chart."

4.ª
        I read in other topic the follow error and I do not solve with the suggestions that you write... but could you explain at least what is the number "...version 163"? How I know the version?
        here:
        "2023-03-03 17:44:34:794|2|4|Received unknown error/warning: Warning: Your API version does not support fractional share size rules. Please upgrade to a minimum version 163. Trimmed value 16.37 to 16"
        Last edited by jmagaia; 03-03-2023, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Hello jmagaia,

Thank you for your note. We appreciate your feedback.

1.º
          I read this topic and the file "NinjaTrader.sqlite" is NOT in backup, why?
          Why I said that:
          because time to time - 3 times in last two months when Ninja starts not come with my all strategies!
          I try the backup, so in second time that happen... I think... well let do the backup if the problem happens again.
          and happened ... I try restoring the backup but not appear my strategies... that consumed me a lot of time to put in charts!

I read... this topic... uau...solved... only one file... but this file does not have in BAckup!!!!!

Please solved this problem in future update version.

What I am to do... now... I am going to copy this file... but... it is not normal!​
          As I previously mentioned, this behavior has been reported to the development team for further investigation. I have already included the information regarding the NinjaTrader.sqlite file in my report and I will follow up here in this thread once I have an update.

2.ª
          In version 7 and duplicate the workspace and the copy have all... charts and strategies...
          But in version 8 not!!
          Please why not?​
          Is this still related to the backup file and restoring the backup file? If so, this is likely related to the first point and will be investigated via the report I made to the development team. If not, please provide a more in-depth description of what you are referring to so I may better assist.

3.º
          I forget to write that I have some errors in indicators that I buy (ninjacators) and work very well during months and now they have this error:
          "ndicator 'ncatVolatilityTrendSignals': Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method on bar -1: You are accessing an index with a value that is invalid since it is out-of-range. I.E. accessing a series [barsAgo] with a value of 5 when there are only 4 bars on the chart."

Cuould you say why this happen?

Other error in other indicator:

"2023-02-14 13:08:26:273|3|4|Indicator 'ncatMomentumReversalZones': Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method on bar -1: You are accessing an index with a value that is invalid since it is out-of-range. I.E. accessing a series [barsAgo] with a value of 5 when there are only 4 bars on the chart."​
          Since these errors are coming from third-party indicators, please reach out to the developers. I understand that the indicators were working well for months and you are just now getting the errors, though the developers will have a better understanding of how the scripts work and what might be required to prevent the errors from occurring.

4.ª
          I read in other topic the follow error and I do not solve with the suggestions that you write... but could you explain at least what is the number "...version 163"? How I know the version?
          here:
          "2023-03-03 17:44:34:794|2|4|Received unknown error/warning: Warning: Your API version does not support fractional share size rules. Please upgrade to a minimum version 163. Trimmed value 16.37 to 16"​
          This message seems to be related to Interactive Brokers; is that who you are connected to? I suspect that you might not be using the supported version of TWS/IB Gateway. You can verify the version inside of the TWS or IB Gateway program by going to the Help > About TWS/IB Gateway menu. Please make sure you are using the supported build, which is 10.19.1c. This is noted in the connection guide, along with download links for that specific version, here:

Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Comment

Thank you, Emily,

Here:

2.ª
            But in version 8 not!!
            Please why not?​
            Is this still related to the backup file and restoring the backup file?

No, it is not related to the Backup file.
            How I noted that Backuo does not work... I try another way:
            Example: I have one Wrokspaces with the name "SistemasDiarios" with all my strategies, and i try, like in version 7, to duplicate this by doing a "save as" a copy with a name "SistemasDiarios2" and I do When I close the "SistemasDiarios" the strategies closed in window "Control Center" and when i open "SistemasDiarios2" not have strategies. This is what I try to write.
            -----------------------------
            The other problems are very confusing to me; not only now the problems with backup are trying to solved... so many years after the release this version 8, It is not good.

The others indicators.... ok could be problems with the Vendors... but I have some doubts. Why? Because I have my strategies, and two of them worked very well for so many months, and now I have an error ... I do not work above, but is true.
            But I have my mine strategy that worked without problems and now I have these problems:
            "Strategy 'SPYXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXV2/275835513': An order placed at '11/7/2008 1:00:00 AM' has been ignored since the order was submitted before the strategy property BarsRequiredToTrade had been met."
            I do not understand this problem.
            -----------
            4.º
            About he problem "TWS/IB Gateway"
            I know you doot believe it, but also how others problems ... not happened before and some months ago these problems appeared. And I do not change the version of TWS. The version is the same that you refer "10.19.1c". I do not change.
            Now I have updated the Nnja version *.xxxxxxxx.27.1 and the problem not disappear. I try in last week the TWS version to 10.19.1k and the problem is the same.

Thanks
            Jose

Last edited by jmagaia; 03-05-2023, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Emily View Post
              Hello backtester831,

• Close NinjaTrader
              I think the problem is the backup file is copying the NinjaTrader.sqlite file and creating it with the extension NinjaTrader.sdf instead of .sqlite. Probably something to do with the database change around version 27

Comment

Hello Jose,

Thank you for your reply.

Example: I have one Wrokspaces with the name "SistemasDiarios" with all my strategies, and i try, like in version 7, to duplicate this by doing a "save as" a copy with a name "SistemasDiarios2" and I do When I close the "SistemasDiarios" the strategies closed in window "Control Center" and when i open "SistemasDiarios2" not have strategies. This is what I try to write.
                Thank you for the additional explanation. So I may test on my end, could you please provide screenshots and step-by-step instructions to reproduce this behavior? I look forward to investigating this further.

But I have my mine strategy that worked without problems and now I have these problems:
                "Strategy 'SPYXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXV2/275835513': An order placed at '11/7/2008 1:00:00 AM' has been ignored since the order was submitted before the strategy property BarsRequiredToTrade had been met."
                I do not understand this problem.
                BarsRequiredToTrade is a property that sets the number of historical bars required before orders from onBarUpdate() will be processed. This is explained on the following help guide page:

The message means that the strategy would have submitted a trade, though there were not enough historical bars on the chart yet to meet the BarsRequiredToTrade requirement, so the order was ignored.

4.º
                About he problem "TWS/IB Gateway"
                I know you doot believe it, but also how others problems ... not happened before and some months ago these problems appeared. And I do not change the version of TWS. The version is the same that you refer "10.19.1c". I do not change.
                Now I have updated the Nnja version *.xxxxxxxx.27.1 and the problem not disappear. I try in last week the TWS version to 10.19.1k and the problem is the same.
                I would like to review your diagnostic files to further investigate this message. Please send me your log and trace files by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please include 'ATTN Emily' in the subject line of the email and include a link to this forum thread in the body of the message.

I appreciate your patience and look forward to your reply.​​

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
                5 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Bidder
                by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM