How to view position size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to view position size

This might be obvious (I'm new) but how can I see how much an order costs? (micro futures)
    This information shows on all the other platforms I use, but not NinjaTrader (unless I'm missing something?).

So if I enter in '5' in the quantity field when placing an order - how do I know how much it will cost? Or once I have a trade in play - how do I know how much of my account is currently in that trade, and how much money I have left over for new trades?

I don't see this information anywhere after searching for a while now.

Hello Problem_Gambler​,

Thank you for your post.

To view your commission for your trades, you would need to make sure a commission template is configured to your account, and they the "Total Commissions" box is checked when you Right click anywhere on the control center and go to Properties -> Columns.

To add Commission and Risk Templates to your Accounts, you may follow the steps below:
    • Go to the Control Center > Accounts window
    • Right-click on your Account > select 'Edit Account'
    • Select your template from the Commission or Risk drop-down menus
    • Click 'OK' to save and apply

Please keep in mind that Risk Templates cannot be applied to live trading accounts as this is managed by the broker. Commissions will not be applied retroactively to past orders, however, any new orders you place will have Commissions applied once a template is selected.

If you do not see a Commission or Risk template that fits your needs, you may create a Custom Template from the Control Center > Tools > Commissions / Risk windows.

Additional information on both of these windows may be read here in our NinjaTrader 8 Help Guide: Commissions and Risk Overviews

​Let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    Erick P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the reply - Yes I do have the commissions selected as per your instructions - but my question is not about commissions. .

When I am setting up a trade - before I execute it - I want to know How Much the trade will 'cost' - in terms of how much of my total account will be in that trade (not commission).

So for example, if I have 100k in my account, and I enter a quantity of '100' when placing an order, how much will I have left for additional trades? How much of my account will be tied up in that trade?

As far as I can tell, Ninjatrader does not tell me this information - unless I am missing it somewhere

Comment

Hello Problem_Gambler​,

Thank you for your message.

In case case, you would be referring to your Margin Columns in the Account display in the Control Center.

For example, Let's say I have an account balance of $2000 and I Buy 1 contract of the ES 03-23.

Using NinjaTrader Brokerage as an example, 1 contract of the E-mini S&P 500 futures would take up $500 in margin from my account balance.

This would leave $1500 of margin available in my account (plus or minus any unrealized PnL from my current open position) for me to trade with.

This information, similar to the commissions, would be displayed in the Account tab of the control center.

Please see this video I made for your reference.

You would be looking at the Intraday Margin column to see how much margin your current positions are using, and then the Excess Intraday Margin column to see how much account balance you have left over to trade with.

The Initial margin is only for when you will be leaving positions open past the close of the market session.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Comment

Thank you - but does this data show when trading the Demo account? All I see are zeros: https://www.screencast.com/t/giB7KysFnR

Comment

Hello Problem_Gambler​,

Thank you for your message.

I have received confirmation that, yes, you can apply Risk templates to demo accounts.

When you Right click on the account that currently has an open position, and go to Edit account, and find Risk, is the option "NinjaTrader Brokerage Default" selected?

If not, please make sure it is, then Click OK.

You will need to restart NinjaTrader after this.

Then try opening a position with the account you just modified and see if the columns update.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by llanqui, Today, 03:53 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post llanqui
            by llanqui

Started by burtoninlondon, Today, 12:38 AM
            0 responses