Strategies Disappear from Strategies Tab even Though I Saved Workspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategies Disappear from Strategies Tab even Though I Saved Workspace

I run a number of strategies directly from Control Center. I add them and then save my Workspace. But when I re-open NinjaTrader, the strategies are all gone and I have to add them again.

How do I get the strategies to be saved with the workspace?

Hello GoldBands,

I'm not able to reproduce this on my end. I add strategies in the Control Center-->Strategies-tab, save the workspace and restart NinjaTrader. Once NinjaTrader is started, it still shows the strategies in the Control Center-->Strategies-tab.

If you test this with the 'Sample MA crossover' strategy, are you able to reproduce the issue? Please add 1 instance of the 'Sample MA crossover' in the Control Center-->Strategies-tab, save the workspace and restart NinjaTrader. Check if the strategy is still there.

What NinjaTrader version do you have installed (8.0.xx.x)? You can check this at Control Center-->Help-->About.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

As suggested, I just added "Sample MA crossover", saved the workspace, and restarted NT. The strategy was NOT in the control center when I re-started NT.

I'm running v8.0.26.1 64-bit

What next?

Thanks.

Comment

The strategies are getting saved under the default strategy "futures" which is strange since those are all read only. Here is what I did:

Create workspace "Strategies"
        Add Sample MA Crossover
        Save Workspace "Strategies
        Close NT. Save Yes to Save Workspaces Strategies

Restart NT
        Click on Workspace Strategies.
        -- No strategies are loaded
        Click on Workspace Default Workspaces --> Futures
        -- Sample MA Crossover appears

This is strange because Futures is a built in workspace and you can't make any changes to it. But that's where all the strategies I add get saved to.

Comment

I suggest to disable the default workspaces by going to Control Center-->Tools-->Options-->General and unchecking 'Show default workspaces folder'. Restart NinjaTrader and add strategies to your workspace. Check if the strategies remain when you save the workspace and restart NinjaTrader.

Comment

Ok, I've disabled that option and it did not change anything. Strategies are still not saved.

But here's the strange part. The strategies are not saved for the selected workspace but saved in another workspace and which one is random. Here are the steps I took to reproduce.

After I disabled that option, I also deleted the all the default workspaces. I also deleted the 2 workspaces I had created. I then rebooted NT.

Then, I added a new workspace and added the crossover strategy. Saved the workspace. Exited NT. When I restarted NT, the workspace was there but not the strategy.

I added a second workspace. I did not any strategies to it. I re-started NT.

The strategy was still not in workspace1. However, when I clicked on workspace2 the strategy showed up. Workspace2 was now active but the strategies for workspace1 where there.

I added more strategies to workspace1 and saved the workspace. Just like before, they don't show up when workspace1 is active. They only show up after I activate workspace2.

This is very strange. At least I can have a workspace that has the strategies in it so I don't have to keep adding them. But I am concerned that something during live trading will get messed up because of this bug in the workspaces.

Please advise on how to fix this issue.

Thanks.

Comment

Can you please shut down NinjaTrader and navigate to Documents-->NinjaTrader 8. Transfer (cut and paste) the 'workspaces' folder to your desktop.

Start NinjaTrader and create a new workspace. Uncheck the 'Show default workspaces folder' setting and restart NinjaTrader.

Add a strategy in the Control Center-->Strategies-tab. Save the workspace and restart NinjaTrader. Check if the strategy is still present.

Comment

No, still not working. Followed your instructions and when I go back into Ninja, my new workspace is selected by default but the strategy I added is not there.

If I then click on the "Untitled" workspace, the strategy I added to the new workspace I created shows up. Ninja is still saving anything I add to the other workspace that's not selected so I always have to have 2 workspaces. Very strange. I can repeat this over and over.

If I then make the Untitled strategy the default and add a new strategy and save it, when I re-start Ninja it opens the Untitled workspace by default and neither of the 2 strategies are there. If I click on the new strategy I had created and make it active, both strategies are there. It's like a shell game. Very bizarre.
                Last edited by GoldBands; 02-14-2023, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Can you please download and install the latest NinjaTrader 8 version (8.0.27.1) using the instructions below.
                  • First, please make a copy of the license key entered at Control Center-->Help-->License Key as you need it to download NinjaTrader.
                  • Make sure NinjaTrader is shut down.
                  • Download and install the latest NinjaTrader 8 version from the link below.
                  • https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
                  Once you have the latest version installed, please transfer the 'workspaces' folder once more (or delete it). I assume you still have 'Show default workspaces folder' disabled.

Start NinjaTrader and it should open with the Untitled workspace. Add 1 strategy in the Control Center-->Strategies-tab while the Untitled workspace is opened. Don't create an additional workspace. Save the workspace and restart NinjaTrader. Does it now open with the strategy applied?

Comment

I have the EXACT SAME issue on two different computers. Weird thing is that the problem showed up on computer @#2 a few days after it happened on computer Home

Comment

Hello UliSchmuli,

If you perform the steps listed in post #9, does NinjaTrader open with the strategy applied?

You can disable 'Show default workspaces folder' at Control Center-->Tools-->Options-->General. Please do this step first, then shut down NinjaTrader and transfer the 'workspaces' folder outside the Documents-->NinjaTrader 8 folder.

Comment

Re-installed Ninja and now it's working. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by Karado58, 11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
                        8 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Option Whisperer  
                        Started by Option Whisperer, Today, 09:05 AM
                        0 responses
                        1 view
                        0 likes