Repeater v2.2 indicator issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeater v2.2 indicator issue

so I downloaded this indicator Repeater and really liked it, but I noticed something wrong with it, I set the daily highlight region from 3pm-6:30am PST (considered as premarket to me), the chart only shows the highlight regions for previous days but not the latest session, for example today's market has opened for 6 hours and this area isn't highlighted at all. Any idea what went wrong? Thanks
    Attached Files

Hello bestco,

It plots for the current day when I test it on my end. If you use the same settings as the attached screenshot, does it plot as expected?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Repeater.png
Views:	320
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1232280

JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm having a strange issue with Repeater.

I'm using a chart with three panes and attempting to shade the Asian Range, London Range and New York Range in each one London and New York seem to be plotting correctly, but the Asian range is not. Attached are the chart and the properties config I'm using.

Focusing on the top panel (MES) of the chart, I removed London and New York events (sessions) to show the issue, but it is also occurring in the MNQ and M2K charts.

I entered a time range of 19:00:00 to 03:00:00. It seems to be plotting historical sessions correctly, but for the current session, it seems to be starting with 19:00:00 and shading the period backwards to the last 03:00:00 period instead of forward to the next one. If it is doing this for the current session, it seems it will also do this for London when it opens and New York when it opens. That defeats the purpose of plotting the session to know where one is in the day.

Am I doing something wrong with the setup?

Thank you for any insight.

Comment

Hello ab9361,

Can you please increase the Opacity setting and check if it colors the 19:00 - 3:00 period as expected.

The line you refer in your screenshot is the starting line of the period. When I test this on my end, the indicator shows as per the attached screenshot.
        Attached Files

Comment

#ab9361 - I'd speculate FWIW that your problem may be related to your End Of Day Settings for your Trading Hours template, or perhaps your computer clock Time Zone Settings or the like. Just a thought. It seems to me FWIW that your Platform Setup cannot 'see' the end time of your Session because it does not 'exist' within what it sees as the same Day. You need the 'End of Day' to be the end of the ETH day, which is after the end of the 24hr day Midnight (which is why computer r clock, Time Zone etc may, or may not be the culprit (not knowing your setup, I'm just flagging as possible cause - e.g. 24/7 trading hours template?).
          Hope this helps
          (see attached - it can be done. Mine using Session Range H/Ls. Knock yourself out)

Best,
          Attached Files
          Last edited by brucerobinson; 08-23-2023, 02:10 AM.

Comment

NinjaTrader_Jason,

Thank you for your quick reply. When I got up this morning, the Asian range was plotting correctly, which leads me to think it wasn't the opacity. (But I did increase it a bit to make it more visible!) and it may be something like #brucerobinson replied on my trading hours or computer time settings.

Thank you.
            Alan

Comment

#brucerobinson,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

When I woke up this morning (6am), the Asian range was plotted correctly, which makes me think it may indeed have something to do with my trading hours or computer time settings. London was plotting correctly, and I adjusted NY to start plotting at 6am (CDT), and it plotted correctly also, both with the shading extending to the right of the start time. As you pointed out, the Asian range is the only one that extends outside of one trading day to the next, so that could be the issue.

My trading hours template was set to <Use Instrument Settings>, which for anything I have done with NT so far has worked fine. But I changed it to CME Index Futures ETH (that's all I trade on NT). (The only other seemingly viable option I saw seemed to be US Equities ETH.) It didn't affect anything that was already plotting, which was a start, but I will have to wait until tonight to see if it corrected the issue with Asia.

Haven't touched the computer time yet. It is set to central time and so far, except for this range issue, my charts have plotted correctly. I'll wait and see what the trading hours adjustment does.

If you have any other insights, please let me know.

Thank you,
              Alan

Comment

#brucerobinson

In hindsight, I didn't need to wait until the Asian session began. All I had to do was change the start time! Which I eventually did. But no matter which trading hours setting I use, it plots backward to the prior close time, not the future one.

I am at a loss what to try now. It doesn't seem to be anything with the computer time settings. It's plotting the other sessions correctly. It seems to be an issue of the time period spanning the 24-hour trading sessions.

Are you using unique trading hours settings? Any other suggestions on what to try?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

If you test a brand new chart with just 1 data series and configure the indicator as per the attached screenshot, do you get the same result?
                  Attached Files

Comment

#ab9361 - I do use a custom Trading Hours template but it just a simple modification to default instrument settings template (not at trading pc today, may screenshot later (I doubt it is the reason so wouldn’t want to head off down a rabbit hole), however….)
                    another thought from amongst the cobwebs in my mind. Try using Start Times (and/or End Times) ‘more’ or ‘less’ than the time. The Platform Bar Times are End times (not Start times like every other trading platform software I’ve ever used or heard of). What this means is you need to enter a Start time of 06:00.01 if you want your Session to commence with the ‘06:00 bar’. Otherwise, it will start with the ‘bar ending’ 06:00. Which will depend on TF. If 1hr Bars, Session will begin with 05:00:01 bar, if 10s Bars, Session will begin with 05:59:51-06:00:00 bar. If you see what I mean….

Or something like that anyhow. Minced my brain figuring it out, with help from the NT Dev wot wrote it (PaulH iirc, very accommodating although blind to the concept that it is grief I don’t need, and at minimum should be documented))

Be aware also that this behaviour can cause further correlated problems - e.g. if you are in the habit of changing TF….., or to tick chart (& there wasn’t one at 06:00:01…..)

Comes under NT it’s not a bug because it is ‘expected behaviour’ ‘cos that’s how it is coded.

Hope some of this helps. The ray of hope is that once you get it working to your liking (which for me has been possible whilst not easy) it should not cause you further problems. Set & forget.

Best,

Comment

#NinjaTrader_Jason

I created a new chart with one pane, one instrument and one indicator (repeater).

Same result. See attached. I created the indicator with 100 opacity and it did not work. I reduced it to 20 so I could see the boundary line.

Comment

#brucerobinson

Thank you for your thoughts. I tried changing the session start time to 19:00:01 with the same 03:00:00 End Time. Same behavior.

I looked at the indicator code. I know just enough about coding to get a sense for what it does, but couldn't program it or modify it. I am not positive, but there is some code that seems to force the end time of the timespan to midnight if the interval is less than daily. (which my charts are). There is also some code that looks to see if the start time is greater than the end time, which Asia is (begins 19:00 and ends 03:00). Can't tell exactly what it is doing, but it seems it is essentially forcing end of session to midnight and switching the start and end times. Could be seeing what I think it is doing, and what I said is completely wrong. But whatever.

The only consolation is that it only affects Asia. I normally do not trade Asia but want to see where price traveled overnight. And some time after midnight, (strangely it does not correct immediately after midnight, because I watched it) it corrects the plotting. Then I can use it in my morning.

Would rather it behave as expected, but functionally, it does the job.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Alan

Comment

see attached
                          Attached Files

Comment

#brucerobinson

I'll look into this. Thank you.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post