Candlesticks moving but not printing new ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candlesticks moving but not printing new ones

When the remaining time in my graph reaches 0 the last candle keeps moving but it does not create a new one it just stays at 0 and keeps moving the price, I have to keep refreshing the data in order to see the new candles. I have tried to disconnect my account and reconnecting it and then I tried uninstalling NT8 but the same problem prevails. I use a timeframe of 5 minute for my candlesticks in the NQ, it was working ok until the american open.

Hello Adrien24,

Thank you for writing in.

From your description, it sounds like the time clock on your computer may have become out of sync with the world clock.

Please use the steps below to change/check your Time Zone and sync the PC clock:
    • Shutdown NinjaTrader
    • Right-click the clock in the lower right corner of your desktop
    • Select Adjust date/time
    • For Windows 10 click 'Date, Time, and regional formatting' -> Then click 'Additional date, time, and regional settings' -> then click 'Set the time and date'
    • Select the 'Internet Time' tab at the top
    • Set the server to time.nist.gov and then click Update.
    • If the message that appears says successful your PC clock should now be updated.
    • If not, select a different server from the Server: drop-down and try again (repeat until one of the servers is successful)

After updating the PC clock, please restart NinjaTrader, then right-click the chart and select Reload All Historical Data.

Does the Bar Timer line up with the creation of a new bar as expected now?

If no, please create a New Workspace, Call it "Test", click OK
    • Go back to Workspaces > Hover over Test > Click save
    • Restart NinjaTrader
    • Connect to market data > Open a new chart with Template in the top right set to <None> > Add the bar timer to this chart, does it line up as expected?

Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.
    Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have already done the steps but the problem still persists

Comment

Hello Adrien24,

Thank you for the update.

Simply uninstalling and then reinstalling NinjaTrader doesn't remove any of your unique files so this rarely causes things to change if the error is coming from something in the underlying files.

It is possible the Trading Hours template could be preventing the chart from updating as expected.
        • Please right-click on the chart > Click Data Series
        • Properties > Time frame > Trading hours > Set this to "Default 24x7" > Click OK
        • Right-click on the chart and select "Reload all historical data"
          • Does the chart update and draw the charts as expected?

If the charts are still not posting in sync with the bar timer, please create the following chart as a test:
        • Go to the Control Center > New > Chart
        • Select the ES 03-23
        • Make it a 1-minute chart
        • Set the 'Days to load' to 5
        • Make sure 'Template' in the top-right corner is set to < None >
        • Set the Time frame > Trading hours > To "Default 24x7"
        • Click OK to make the chart
        • Does this chart load in and update as expected?
        • Add the Bar Timer to the chart, does it line up with the posting of the bars?

If the posting of bars is still not lining up with the bar timer, please use your phone or a screen capture software to take a short video of the behavior you are experiencing and attach it to your response.

Comment

The ES 03-23 graph loads and updates correctly but the NQ 03-23 graph still has the same problem.

Comment

Hello Adrien24,

Did you make a 2nd Test chart where the only difference was you selected the NQ 03-23 instead? Or, is the "NQ Chart" another/old chart that was already there?

If you take the ES 03-23 chart that is working and updating as expected and switch it to the NQ 03-23, does the chart stop updating at the right time?

Please create a "Test" workspace and see if this continues when it is only the two "Test" charts.
            1. Go to the Control Center > Workspaces > Click new > Call it "Test" > Click OK
            2. Go back to the Workspaces menu > Hover over "Test" > Click save > Restart NinjaTrader
            3. It should open to the empty "Test" workspace, now use the "Test" chart steps previously provided to create a new chart for the ES 03-23 and the NQ 03-23
              • Do both of the charts update as expected?
              • If yes, this could mean something was locking up the NQ in the prior workspace and preventing it from updating as expected.
                • If so, let us know and we will provide more specific steps to look into this

If the behavior continues, please use the following steps to reset/update the instruments within NinjaTrader and see if all of the instruments are lining up as expected
            1. Disconnect from any data providers by navigating to the Control Center > Connections menu, and left-click on “disconnect” that appears to the right when hovering your mouse over any active connection
            2. Reset your instruments by navigating to the Control Center > Tools > Database Management
            3. In the Database Management window, under the “Update instruments” section, ensure that “General properties”, "Futures expiries" and “Symbol mappings” options are checked and then click Update
            4. Restart NinjaTrader
            ​Reopen NinjaTrader and test if the charts are updating in time as expected.

If the behavior continues, please use the following steps to remove all of the Historical data from your NinjaTrader platform and force NinjaTrader to download all new historical data for your charts:
            1. Close NinjaTrader
            2. Go to the Documents Folder > NinjaTrader 8 > db > Delete the following folders
              • Tick
              • Minute
              • Day
              • Cache
                • Do not delete anything else
            3. Reopen NinjaTrader > Connect to your Market data > Right-click on the chart and select "Reload all historical data" if it doesn't happen automatically
            4. Do the charts load and update in time with the bar timer now?

If the charts are still not updating as expected, please attach some pictures or a video to your response to demonstrate what your workspace looks like and what is happening so we may ensure we are understanding what is happening to ensure we are providing the proper steps.

Comment

In the test workspace both graphs are working correctly.

Comment

Hello Adrien24,

This would mean that the base NinjaTrader Platform is working as expected and something that a 3rd party add-on or setting within your Old/Original Workspace is causing things to not work as expected.
                • Something that could be related is that each instrument is assigned to a thread and all windows with that instrument will run on that same thread. This is done so that an instrument cannot become out of sync with itself. Here is a simplified example:
                  • 10 charts with 10 separate instruments = 10 threads
                  • 10 charts with 1 instrument in all charts = 1 thread
                • So, if you had multiple charts within that workspace set to the NQ 03-23 and they each have multiple indicators on it, it is possible to overwhelm that core and cause it to fall behind real-time and get locked up and then all charts of that instrument type would stop updating. You could still see the other charts that are on other cores updating without any issues.
                As suggested, there are really two options at this point.
                1. Remove things from the Old/Original workspace until the charts start updating and working as expected to narrow in on what is locking up the workspace.
                2. Continue with the Test Workspace where everything was working and then add things back in 1-by-1 and test until the charts stop updating again and you will know the last thing added in is causing the freezing behavior.
                When testing, you could open the NinjaScript Utilization Monitor to watch and check if there are any indicators jumping to the top of the list. If something looks like it is counting in real-time, that is a red flag and is most likely causing delays or freezing in the workspace.
                • Go to the Control Center > New > NinjaScript Output
                • Right-click within the NinjaScript output window > Select 'NinjaScript Utilization Monitor...
                • This window will begin to populate with NinjaScript items in order of time spent processing
                  • This window shows the cumulative results from when the window was open so after about 10 minutes, you would want to close it and open it again to get an updated look of what is currently happening within the platform.​​​​​​​​

​Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.​

Comment

Hi, the NQ 03-23 chart loads normally until the new york session starts at that time the chart stops updating the candles, I have three charts open. One of NQ 03-23 with all the indicators that I usually use, another chart of NQ 03-23 with nothing where the data is not updated correctly and a chart of ES 03-23 where everything works normally.

Comment

Hello Adrien24,

It sounds like there may be something deeper going on, please use the following steps to do a completely fresh installation of NinjaTrader without any of your prior settings in the platform to test if the base NinjaTrader platform is updating as expected.
                    • If the new/empty platform is working as expected, we can than manually move the old files and folders back in 1-by-1 until the charts stop working as expected again to narrow in on the cause.

Please follow the steps listed below to completely uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader.
                    • Close all running applications.
                    • Navigate to your Documents folder > Right-click on the 'NinjaTrader 8' folder > Rename > rename the folder to 'NinjaTrader 8 OLD'.
                      • DO NOT delete this folder. We will need it to manually pull your Folders and settings out of later
                    • Uninstall NinjaTrader within Windows Control Panel.
                    • Navigate to C:\ > Program File (x86) > Delete the 'NinjaTrader 8' folder if it exists
                    • Reboot your PC.
                    • Once these steps are completed, download and install NT8 from the link below:
                    Once reinstalled, you will need to enter your License Key and connection information back into the platform so you may connect to your live account and market data.

From there, open a few new charts and test if they are still experiencing the update issue or if all of the charts continue to work as expected.
                    • If the chart is still not updating in time with the timer, then this would mean there is something deeper going on with the computer.
                    • If the charts are updating in time as expected, you can then go through the steps of bringing an old folder/file back in and reopening NinjaTrader to test if the behavior returned.
                      • You will just move the old folders or files into the new/current NinjaTrader install location.
                      • You may follow along with this video for an example of how to manually move the files. I demonstrated for Workspaces in the video, but the same process would be used to move all of the old files and settings back in.
                      • If you bring a Folder or File back in and then the charts are no longer synchronizing, then the last thing brought in is causing this and you may reach out to the developer for further help and information.
                    Please let us know if the behavior continues on the brand new installation so we may provide further assistance.

Otherwise, please let us know if we may be of any further assistance.

Comment

Clayton & Adrien24,

I am experiencing something today which I believe may point you in a different direction to above as it is a lot 'cleaner'
                      Clayton, if you conclude it is not related I will happily start a new Thread. Please suspend any initial disbelief.
                      Simply put, ONE core aspect in Adrien's last post is that - never mind the installs and uninstalls and how you've got to where you are - instruments are behaving differently (whether that be the printing candlesticks, and the NY Session

On a workspace for US Equities Futures Micros, I have MES, MNQ, MYM and M2K
                      For each instrument, I have a Minute TF, Second TF, and Tick 'TF' chart.
                      Each Data Series uses the Same (Custom) Session Template, segmented into Overnight Session, Day Session and 16:15-16:30 gap.

The takeaway here is that every chart is an exact clone of the other in terms of Data Series Session templates, chart templates, indicators etc. All that is different is what TF is displaying.

I use a 3rd-party Opening Range indicator, which allows me to set the 'pre-session' as the entire Overnight Session.
                      Clayton - carry on reading and forget about the 3rd-party indicator gut reaction. You will see (I will prove to you) why....

If, in the OR Indicator, you specify hours that don't match the data series this generates an error message (stay with me Clayton, fight that impulse)

This morning, on start up, I didn't notice any error messages (they print across the chart in big white letters).
                      I wasn't at my pc and later noticed error messages 'Mismatch between trading hours selected for the opening range / pre-session (User input) and the session template selected for the chart bars'

At first, I paid scant attention because I was not trading today, and wondered if may be due to Holiday lack of data etc and rectify itself tomorrow. I'm not one for immediately making any changes

Bear in mind that I have been trading this same workspace for perhaps 2 years and cannot recall the last time I made a change to it. It works day in day out 8-12hrs/day 5 days per week.

I am on v 26.0 (different story) hence have not made any updates or changes to the platform for a long time.

The point I am driving home is that you could not ask for more 'test-lab' like conditions. No changes, no variables.

The message appears on M2K and MYM, but not on MNQ or MES. The message appears on 10s and Tick charts for M2K and MYM but not on M2K but not on Minute charts

The testing -

Duplicate a 'good' chart/window MES 10s. No message in new window duplicate
                      Manually change Data Series to an offending Data Series M2K and MYM - error message on either/both
                      Go to an 'original' (not duplicate) Window with offending Data Series, change to MES - no error message
                      Go to Minute chart (which had no error messages on any instrument), change M2K (offending Data Series with message in 10s & Tick charts) to 10s - error message
                      Now more bizarre - change back to 15m - error message remains (tried F5 & Reload Data)

Now I don't know the inner workings of the OR Indicator but its' Open Source so you can take a look if you want.

But the point that you should take from this is that EVERYTHING is 100% 'robust' re: the Platform, Workspace, Charts etc. and all absolutely identical and even when I duplicate a window containing MES and no error, when I switch the Data Series to M2K it generates the error. There is no mis-match between trading hours selected and session template because theyare the same on ES & NQ and don't provdiuce the mesasage, and they don't change when you change data series.

The commonality with Adrien are same and different instruments behaving differently, and NY Session..So the smoking gun has to be differences between the data series and to do with Sessions

This to me suggests it is to do with the Data Series themselves. Obviously when I switch Instruments, each uses its own attached Custom Template - butt that is one single template as the are all US Equity Index Futures. I do not have one for NQ, ES etc.

I re-iterate and cannot emphasise enough, everything is as homogenous as is possible, everything is a clone of everything else from Window to Window, chart to chart, TF to TF. etc., no changes to anything my end in ages, etc. etc,. and VERY similar behaviours to as reported here.......

Need to be looking at the raw Data Series imho and how this could be RESULTING in the behaviouir being seen

I do note that unusually there is an error in the Log File on connecting to the HDS servers - Re: Unhadled Exception - The URI Prefix is not recognised.

However, the errors occurred at other times/connections when this error weas not present.

Kind regards,

Comment

Update:
                        Upon starting Ninja/opening Workspace today, same as when closed yesterday - messages on M2K & MYM 10s & Tick AND the additional on 15m which seemed to be generated by switching to 10s and back yesterday. No messages on any MES or MNQ min, sec or tick
                        I start around 08:30 London Open (03:30 ET).
                        I returned to my PC around 06:30 ET - the error messages on the M2K and MYM Minute charts have gone. They remain on sec and tick charts.

I did not touch the PC meantime. There is nothing 'active' e.g. such as strategies running etc. The only thing that is changing is the Data Series.....

Whilst this does not necessarily make much sense to me I'll throw it out there anyhow, because there may be some connection to Adrien24's 'not printing bars despite candle moving' - is the thought that what may have happened whilst I was away from PC is another (several) 15m bars would print, which would not have done when I started up. As mentioned earlier, I tried yesterday F5 and Reload to clear the message to no avail.

But it is a matter of fact that something about M2K and MYM Data Series are causing the indicator to generate the message on sec and tick, but not minute - when I switched min to sec both M2K and MYM caused indicator to generate message, when I switched back to min the message remained and was there after reboot today, and then cleared only due to the passage of time...... No intervention whatsoever

I've expanded the testing/comparison further
                        It is something specific to M2K and MYM sec and tick Data Series
                        It does not matter which of my 12 chart windows (with their attached chart templates etc) I use - if I select any Window and load MES or MNQ it is impossible to generate the message regardless of minute (15, 5, 3 etc, seconds, tick in any chart window
                        Conversely, if I load M2K or MYM in any of the 12 windows and select a second or tick based data series the message is generated, if I select a minute series, it is not.
                        So, it is something that is happening that is specific to the M2K & MYM but not MES and MNQ data series, on sec & tick series but not minute - and was not happening before yesterday for several years with NO changes whatsoever my end.....

And seems not dissimilar to Adrien24s - relating to sessions perhaps

Last edited by brucerobinson; 12-28-2022, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Hello Brucerobinson,

Thank you for writing in.

While it may seem similar, the behaviors and errors you are experiencing are most likely related to something else and would have stood fine as its own question. That being said, I am still providing an answer here.

Please begin by updating NinjaTrader to the most recent version of NinjaTrader 8.0.27.1 as we are unable to provide support for an outdated/unsupported version of NinjaTrader.

To update NinjaTrader, please follow the steps below:
                          • First, copy your license key from NinjaTrader under Help> License Key then exit NinjaTrader
                          • Click on the link: https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
                          • Enter your license key and press Submit
                          • Select 'Download'
                          • Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed.

After updating, please use the following test to open NinjaTrader in Safe Mode and verify if you are able to recreate this behavior in Safe Mode using the default NinjaTrader platform. We need to remove the 3rd party add-ons and anything brought into the platform to see if the Base NinjaTrader platform is stable or if it is also showing the errors.
                          • If the Base NinjaTrader platform is still showing the error, we need to investigate it further to find if it is coming from NinjaTrader directly or something from the PC, another program, or the internet/network.

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
                          • Loading workspaces.
                          • Connecting on start-up.
                          • Loading custom assemblies.
                          • Getting instrument updates from the server.

To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
                          • Exit NinjaTrader.
                          • Hold the Ctrl (Control) key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
                          • Keep the Ctrl (Control) key held down until you see the Control Center.
                          • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.

Once you have opened the platform in safe mode:
                          • Reconnect to your Data Provider
                          • Go to Control Center > Workspaces > New > Give this Workspace a unique name like "Test" and click OK
                          • Open a new chart with no custom bar types/indicators/templates and test for issues.
                            • Set up a small test workspace using Default NinjaTrader Windows and indicators only and test if this behavior continues to happen.

If there are no issues with this new workspace, go to Control Center > Workspaces > hover over the workspace you just made and click Save.
                          • Once saved, hover over all other open Workspaces and click Close until only the Test Workspace you just made is open
                          Now, click X out of the platform and select "No" to "Do you want to save changes"

Now reopen the platform like normal. It should open to the Test workspace you just created.
                          • Is everything still working as expected? Test it out for a few minutes.
                          • If everything is working as expected, open the Old/Original workspace and see if the freezing and errors return.
                          • If yes, this confirms that something within the workspace is causing the errors.
                          • You can either remove things from the workspace 1-by-1 and restart NinjaTrader until the errors go away, then the last thing removed was causing the error
                          • Or, go back to the Test workspace, restart NinjaTrader, and then build it back up adding things 1-by-1 and testing to make sure the errors have not returned. If they do, you will know they are coming from the last thing added back in.
                            • Once you narrow in on what is causing the unwanted behaviors, you can reach out to the developer and ask them for more information on why it is happening and what needs to be done to make it stop moving forward.

If the NinjaTrader platform is still not working as expected and showing the errors while in Safe Mode, please use the steps below to send us a message with your log and trace files attached so we may look into this behavior further:
                          • Go to the Control Center > Help > Email Support
                          • Select: Platform Technical Support
                          • Enter your email, make sure it is spelled correctly
                          • Enter the subject as: Clayton ATTN 03594515"
                          • Include any additional information in the Body as desired
                          • Ensure the "Log and trace files" box is checked
                            • Send the email
                          ​Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.

Comment

Adrien24! Good luck
                            Clayton_G - thanks but no thanks. There is absolutely nothing to suggest it is anything to do with the platform & my installation, I won’t be updating to 27.1 until a lot more is known about the errors it will cause due to install path relocation, I can be confident the Livestream button data use does not interfere with platform performance on my installation or that I can successfully block it.

Meantime I expect someone at NT will eventually figure out what is messed up with the Data Series or other Users will report in with similar related problems
                            (last time it was had Updated ES rollovers but not the others)
                            Last edited by brucerobinson; 12-28-2022, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Update:
                              Identified that it is specifically the M2K and MYM 03-23 Contracts only that are causing this problem.
                              I loaded up the expired 12-22 M2K and MYM Contracts on which it wasn't previously happening, downloaded sufficient historical data to be able to scroll back to whilst there was still volume on Second and Tick Charts and sure enough no error message generated.

Just what running in Safe Mode was going to achieve is beyond me - the error message is a 3rd-party indicator generated one, so of course it isn't going to throw the error if the indicator isn't enabled.

It is only doing this on the M2K and MYM 03-23 Contracts. Q is why? What can be different about those 2 Contracts to previous ones and all others?

Any Community Members any thoughts, much appreciated.
                              With a bit of luck it will go away again on the next Contract rollovers, rather than same problem start cropping up on more!
                              Last edited by brucerobinson; 12-30-2022, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by poplagelu, Today, 05:00 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post poplagelu  
                              Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Bidder