Canīt open NinjaTrader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canīt open NinjaTrader

Hello everybody. I canīt open NinjaTrader 8. I'm getting the same message over and over again. Any ideas about how to solve this issue?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2022-12-07 083822.png
Views:	167
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1226474

Hello dan1608,

Thank you for posting.

Please go to the Windows Control Panel->Uninstall a Program->Select NinjaTrader 8 click Repair then once completed let me know if you can open NinjaTrader successfully.
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello, thank you for your answer. I did it and it opened ok for a day but after a reboot of my PC, the issue started again.

Comment

Hello dan1608,

Please follow the steps listed below to uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader.
        • Close all running applications.
        • Uninstall NinjaTrader within Windows Control Panel.
        • Navigate to C:\ > Program File > Delete the 'NinjaTrader 8' folder if it exists
        • Reboot your PC.
        • Once these steps are completed, download and install NT8 from the link below:
        ​​Please let me know if the issue persists after this procedure.

Comment

Hey Christopher, thank you for your reply. Now I have another issue and I will try to explain it the best way.
          I am using Ninja Trader (the free version) connected to an Interactive Brokers sim account (I want to learn correctly how to use NT8 before buying the license). I set some automated strategies but I noticed the charts were not loading the data for the next day, it gets frozen from the day before. I don't know if this is because IB has a very useless auto logoff from the TWS so it doesn't stay connected 24/7. It needs to auto-log off and then manually I need to log in again. Since the data that NT8 shows is from IB, do I need to always reload the charts again? Or is there something that I am missing here?

Many thanks,

Daniel

Comment

Another update. It wasn't possible to show live data on a daily chart, the daily charts were frozen on the 5th of January. It was showing live data on any other intervals (60 minutes, 5 minutes) but when I was going to Daily charts it was simply frozen (showing only the data up to the 5th of January). Since I am testing several strategies on a single pair (EURUSD) It wasn't until I change all the charts showing this pair (I have more than 5 charts open at the same time, all showing the EURUSD on the Daily interval but with different strategies attached to it), to another pair and then going back to the EURUSD pair that was able to show live data on the Daily interval.

So I wonder why is this happening. Is there a reason to correct this?

Many thanks.

Comment

Can you please test this while connected thru Interactive Brokers Gateway as opposed to TWS and let me know if you see the same behavior. I have included a link below to the Interactive Brokers Connection Guide where you can download the required version as well as steps to create a connection using Gateway.

Comment

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for your answer. I realised I could connect the account using FXCM since I am testing only FOREX for now. Once I move to equities I will try the Gateway instead of the TWS.

But again, I would like to ask another thing. I am testing several strategies for the same pair and some of these strategies change the Sync to false. I read (correct me if I got this wrong) that this is because there were positions opened, according to the strategies, in the historical data. These positions are strategy positions (not live traded) which is different from an account position (live traded).

The thing is some of these strategies were in sync (flat state, the strategyīs parameters were not met so there were no open positions just yet). But after some time, the strategies changed to a Sync "FALSE" and they were trading a position but not a live position.

All the strategies have a Startup behaviour of Wait until flat, synchronize account.

This morning, I was doing a test, I unenabled one strategy and reenabled it and then all strategies were in Sync again but one (this strategy has an account position running and for some reason is not showing on the Positions tab and changed from being TRUE to FALSE).

So this means that if a strategy is not TRUE it can still open and hold live positions?

I hope I was clear about these issues.

I will attach some images to show this issue.

Name:	image.png
Views:	121
Size:	824.4 KB
ID:	1230564Click image for larger version

Views:	108
Size:	624.9 KB
ID:	1230565

Attached Files

Comment

Hello dan1608,

Thanks for your note.

The Sync column in the Strategies tab of the Control Center simply tells us if the Strategy Position and Account Position match. The Sync column will be True if the Strategy Position and Account Position match. If the Strategy Position and Account Position does not match, the Sync column will be False.

If you have multiple strategies enabled on the same Account, it is possible for the Sync column to become False since other strategies are placing orders to that account.

Something you could consider is creating multiple Simulation Only accounts and enabling each strategy on a separate account so that the strategies do not interfere with each other.

See this help guide page for information about creating multiple simulation accounts: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...n_accounts.htm

When a strategy is yellow (or orange on some monitors) in the Strategies tab of the Control Center, this means that the strategy entered a historical (theoretical) position in the historical data that has been loaded.

It also means that you have "Wait until flat" selected for the 'Start behavior' option in the strategy parameters, as you have stated.

This means that once the strategy has finished processing the historical data and has transitioned to real-time, it will wait until there is a real-time order submission that will cause the strategy to become flat. This also includes changing from a long position to a short position or vice versa as the position would pass through flat.

This also applies to secondary instruments if there are added series to the script. All positions must be flat before real-time orders will begin.

See the help guide documentation below for more information.
                  Strategy vs. Account Position — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._account_p.htm
                  Start Behaviors — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._positions.htm

​Additional information could be found in this forum thread - https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...ion#post811541

Let me know if I may assist further.​
                  Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hey Brandon,

Thank you for that explanation. Very complete. But today I encounter some other issues. Last night my PC rebooted due to a programmed update. When I woke up, I switched on my laptop and enabled all the strategies on NT8. There was a live open position (opened by one of the strategies) but when I enabled this specific strategy, the position was closed. So itīs like the strategy was not aware of the open position and closed it without meeting the exit criteria. It seems like there is no communication between the strategies and the existing orders, and I won't be able to switch my PC off in order to not interrupt that communication or connection. Does that make sense?

It will be much appreciated if you could help me with this situation.

Thanks

Comment

Hello dan1608.,

Thanks for your note.

It seems that you would like a strategy to resume positions after it has been disabled and re-enabled.

Something you could consider is enabling the strategy with the Start Behavior setting set to 'Immediately Submit'. Immediately Submit automatically submits working orders from when the strategy processed historical data, and assumes the strategy position and account position are where you want it when you enable the strategy.

This is typically used to have a strategy resume a position after disabling/enabling. If the strategy already had live orders running, the orders will resume with the new enablement of the strategy if they match the historically calculated orders. If the orders calculated from historical data do not match the live working orders, the live working orders will be cancelled and replaced by those calculated from historical data.]

Note that strategies cannot see orders that are manually placed or orders placed by other strategies. They can only see the orders placed by that specific instance of the strategy.

See this help guide page for more information about Start Behaviors: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._positions.htm

Let me know if I may assist further.​

Comment

Hello again,

Thank you so much to both Christopher and Brandon for your assistance. I think I can continue doing my tests with all the information given on this forum.​

Comment

Hello again,

I was checking my strategies and noticed my Long strategy opened a Short position last night. Could you help me to know why this happened? Only Long is selected in the Entry direction, so I don't get this. I will attach some screenshots that might help.

Many thanks

The first image is the Orders

​​​Click image for larger version

Views:	76
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	1231854

The second image is the Executions

Views:	74
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	1231855
                          The third image is the Position

Views:	73
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	1231856

Comment

Hello dan108,

Thanks for your notes.

Are you calling Entry methods and Exit methods in the same bar update?

Please attach an exported copy of the strategy so that I may investigate this matter further.

A NinjaScript could be exported by going to Control Center > Tools > Export > NinjaScript AddOn.

Exporting: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...tAsSourceFiles

I look forward to further assisting.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Jonafare, 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM
                            5 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post rene69851  
                            Started by Fitspressorest, Today, 01:38 PM
                            0 responses