Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ChartTrader width not preserved when reloading Workspace

Hello,

How do I keep ChartTrader from resizing (always gets skinnier) when I save the Workspace and reload it?

It is always coming up skinny....all the controls are squished...

No matter if Auto Scale is selected or not.... (what does Auto Scale do?)

Sorry, but I cannot find anything in the Help files...search for it, can't find it...

Thanks

well, more info....this is the result of when I am changing the size of the Chart....

I may change the chart to 1/4 or 1/8 or 1/16 Full Screen size...it is a type of docking....when I don't want to watch the chart (too many fast bars), I dock it this way.

when I restore it to Full Screen I would like it to revert to how I had it at full screen.

do I have to do this with WPF code, if Ninja will not provide this?

How?

Comment

Hello llanqui,

Thank you for your post.
      It is unclear what method you are using to 'dock' your windows, is this a function of Windows?

If you change the chart window size using the following keyboard shortcuts, the Chart Trader remains the same size:
      Windows logo key + Left arrow Maximize the app or desktop window to the left side of the screen.
      Windows logo key + Right arrow Maximize the app or desktop window to the right side of the screen.

You can also minimize the chart, with the following keyboard shortcut, which will also prevent the Chart Trader from resizing:
      Windows logo key + Down arrow Remove current app from screen or minimize the desktop window.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
      Eduardo R.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I am using Maxto

The window manager you didn't know you missed. Divide your screen into regions, and make your windows go where you want.

I can divide a screen into multiple smaller windows...typically each of my (4) screens is divided into four virtual screens.

The screen I use for trading has three 1/4 virtual screens, and the fourth 1/4 is divided again by 4 to make the docking areas.

this allows me to define these small docking areas, and when Maxto moves the chart there, it is not hidden, so I can find it again and maximize it when I get a signal

I don't have to search through the list of hidden or minimized screens

I do this to protect my eyes and brain from the fast movements on the trader chart, by making it very small so my eyes don't follow the tick / low level noise

I don't have to hunt through hidden / maximized screens to maximize it again...just put focus there and a hot key .

and it pops to full size

when I maximize the chart again the ChartTrader portion does not return to its previous width.

I also resize higher time frame charts and move them around a lot, with the same utility... Maxto

it is a great tool!

Unfortunately it seems the developer has been absent for some time. Probably the pandemic.

But the website is still up and it works fine with Windows 10.

Comment

quite likely I'll have to write some code...to do this, so the need does not get lost in the request queue

Comment

Hello llanqui,

Thank you for your response.

Just to be clear, this only happens as a consequence of using the third party docking feature?

I look forward to your response.
            Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I use the docking software, but the result is the same if you manually resize it small, and then maximize it....the WPF apparently resizes all the objects on the chart (chart trader included) and when it is maximized ChartTrader does not resume its same width as when it was last Maximized

in my case (whether with Maxto or Manually), that requires another manual step after I maximuze the chart to make ChartTrader wider so I can even use the objects on it (account,

you can try this...it should be easy to reproduce

what is the use of having ChartTrader even visible if it is too narrow to be used??

Comment

Hello Ilanqui,

Thank you for your reply.

First and foremost, I wouldn't expect that Chart Trader automatically change widths depending whether the chart is maximized or not. It's going to hold whatever width you had last adjusted it to. If you've made it super skinny at any point, it's going to remain skinny whether the chart window is maximized or not and it would need to be manually adjusted again to widen.

As far as the initial issue of the manual Chart Trader width not being preserved after saving your workspace and reloading, when I adjust the size of Chart Trader manually and then save and reopen my workspace, the size that I had set it to is what is retained. It behaves exactly as I would expect it to. Can you please provide a step-by-step numbered list of steps that I can take to produce the problem so that I can look further into what you are reporting?

I look forward to your response.
                Last edited by NinjaTrader_Zachary; 12-07-2022, 04:27 PM.
                Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

quote:

If you've made it super skinny at any point, it's going to remain skinny whether the chart window is maximized or not and you would need to be manually adjust it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes, that is the problem...don't worry, I'll write code to restore a usable width for ChartTrader when the chart is maximized again....because ChartTrader has is not useful when it is skinny... :-)

(not everyone uses charts statically, that is they never move them nor resize them)

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                  3 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                  Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
                  4 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post RookieTrader