Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can anyone tell me how to create a custom instrument / do manual mapping ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone tell me how to create a custom instrument / do manual mapping ..

Can anyone tell me how to create a custom instrument / do manual mapping? I want to be able to create a custom symbol within Ninja for which I can specify the exact mapping and then send orders to IBKR using that mapping. Or can someone point me to a thread which covers this with some examples?

Many Thanks

Hello abarnes,

Thank you for the note.

If you are doing a Stock/Equity, simply go to a chart, type the symbol name into the Instrument Selector, and press Enter on the keyboard.
    • Many Stocks/Equities can be mapped this way.
    If you try this and nothing loads, then you may have to modify the Custom Instrument Map.
    • Go to the Control Center > Tools > Instruments
    • Search for the Symbol and double-click the appropriate result. If nothing shows, click add
    • From here, you will set up the instrument with the appropriate information.
      • You may find this information from within Trader Workstation itself:
    Please see the following link for more information on working with Instruments within NinjaTrader:Finally, there are multiple different NinjaTrader forum posts in regard to manually mapping an instrument within NinjaTrader, but the instructions vary depending on what instruments you are trying to do so I suggest doing an internet search and include "NinjaTrader Forum Interactive Brokers Manually map Instrument" and then modify as needed for the instruments you are looking at.

Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.
    Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Clayton

Thanks for your post. What I want to be able to do specifically is to create a custom symbol for futures. The reason for this is that Interactive Brokers have changed the Exchange Name for some symbols from GLOBEX to CME. They have already done this for the ZAR symbol (and a couple of others) and are about to do it for the rest of the futures traded at CME group (ie. a significant proportion of US futures). At present orders sent from Ninja to Interactive Brokers for ZAR do not work because the Exchange name for this instrument in Ninja is set as GLOBEX. I can't change GLOBEX to CME in the mapping as it does not offer CME as a dropdown option. Accordingly, I was hoping to create my own custom symbol (which would be the same as the current Ninja instrument for ZAR but with a different exchange name). Can you tell me how to start creating a completely new custom symbol for a futures market (specifically ZAR)? And, if I do this will I be able to specify CME as the exchange or will this be limited to GLOBEX as it is currently in the Ninja standard instrument for ZAR. If it is not possible to create custom symbols to solve this then it looks to me like it is about to become impossible to trade CME group futures at IB using Ninja.

Many Thanks

Comment

Hello abarnes,

Thank you for the update.

Could you please provide all of the information and documentation that Interactive Brokers has provided on this matter so we may read through it and investigate further.

As well, please try changing the Symbol Map from ZAR to ZAR|CME
        • Did this work?
        We look forward to your response.

Comment

Hi Clayton

See below (in blue) what has been issued by Interactive Brokers. In their FAQ's on their website it says: "
          TWS API clients are required to send the new Exchange name from day 1 when the change has been made…" Hence it is already a problem for some markets (including ZAR) - there will be more after this weekend and then all Globex markets from the following weekend. I will try your suggestion and post a separate reply. Please let me know what action Ninja proposes to take on this.​

Please note that Interactive Brokers is completing an effort to update and consolidate exchange names where appropriate. When this effort is complete, the following updates will be in effect:
          • GLOBEX and CMECRYPTO will be consolidated to a single exchange, ‘CME’
          • ECBOT will be updated to ‘CBOT’
          • COMEX listed metals (previously reflected as NYMEX) will be updated to exchange ‘COMEX’
          • NYMEX, no change
          Given the wide breadth of products involved, we are migrating in four waves based on underlying products:
          Key Effective Trade Date Products
          Wave 1 October 30, 2022 GLOBEX: ZAR, LB, DA, IXE
          Wave 2 November 6, 2022 GLOBEX: EMD, BRE, CHF, SOFR3, E7, NKD
          CMECRYPTO: BTCEURRR, ETHEURRR, MET
          Wave 3 November 13, 2022 GLOBEX: All remaining products
          CMECRYPTO: All remaining products
          ECBOT: ZO, ZR, 2YY, 30Y
          NYMEX: ALI, QI, QC
          Wave 4 TBD ECBOT: All remaining products
          NYMEX: All remaining "Metal" products
          Note: After each migration, GTC orders will be retained. These orders will show the updated exchange name but remain active.

Comment

Hello abarnes,

Thank you for the information.

We have tested and can verify that the custom mapping will resolve your inquiry.
            • Although, since ZAR is a customly mapped instrument that is not included within the NinjaTrader platform by default, you will need to make these changes on your own.

We will make the changes to the instrument definitions that are within our servers by default for Wave 1 and 2 this weekend. We will then make the changes for the other instruments the weekends before those changes take place.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
            5 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Bidder
            by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
            4 responses