Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Newest Release downloading data continually...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brucerobinson
    replied
    #aviat72 - Indeed. Helps my resolve to see many veterans here & elsewhere sufficiently activated by what they’re reading to chime in with concurrence & support.
    Collectively several hundred years of trading, NT Forum and software development experience. Makes me feel validated & can’t be too far wide of the mark ;-)

If you haven’t already, see below in another thread on same attitude from NT.

Stuck on 26.0 due to this Ninja self-inflicted wound I don’t want, with no Support & no upgrade path.

“#NinjaTrader_ChelseaB

"there are instances where unintended and unexpected behavior are able to find a way through the quality assurance process [far too many] . Without the process of reporting these items to our support staff, who create reports to our development, these items are not able to get corrected."

Preferable is better quality of development, better QA, better testing prior to release, and better support - greater focus on avoiding the release of updates which cause significant disruption, waste users' time identifying, reporting and fixing the consequences, to which NinjaTrader shows scant regard and your reply simply confirms this.

This is what one of your Vendors had to say on these matters (in PM, so no name, I will protect their privacy):

"I hear you. Not as professional a testing or robust global system deployment strategies as I have used myself.​"
    ​Quite. Pretty clear.

"...for civility for all members on the forum including support staff, development team, and all community members......"

My comments do not lack civility. They are not directed at individuals. I am always respectful, polite and courteous to Ninja staff and disapprove of any such behaviour.

Please do not re-orient and deflect criticisms of Ninja's performance which directly impact on me, into an issue of behaviour on the Forum.

The criticisms are warranted, your response is denial and deflection.

"I hear you. Not as professional a testing or robust global system deployment strategies as I have used myself.​"

Unfortunately, Ninja doesn't.​“

Leave a comment:

• aviat72
    replied

In some software all new features are launched with a gatekeeper so it can be turned on or off by a configuration parameter.
    So if the new feature messes up, we can simply turn it off, without having to do a new release.

If that is not possible, just issue a new release disabling the feature.

This excessive data download can be a killer in low bandwidth environments and is a blocker.

It needs to be fixed before anything else.

NinjaTrader_ChelseaB It is a question of how the development team is prioritizing. Right now NT is simply ignoring the legacy customers core needs as they work on integrating with the acquisition..

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_ChelseaB
    replied
    To the community,

Regarding comments about resisting the NinjaTrader staff and general encouragement of noncompliance and not having tolerance:

Please remember that the development team are people and as new features or necessary system changes for new technology are implemented, there are instances where unintended and unexpected behavior are able to find a way through the quality assurance process. Without the process of reporting these items to our support staff, who create reports to our development, these items are not able to get corrected.

We kindly ask for patience, and for civility for all members on the forum including support staff, development team, and all community members who without, NinjaTrader would not be possible.​

Leave a comment:

• brucerobinson
    replied
    #ChelseaB,
    Well that’s simply not good enough

The usual boilerplate garbage response

#Fightback
    #Zerotolerance

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_ChelseaB
    replied
    Hello brucerobinson,

Our development team is fully aware of the behavior.

This request is being tracked with ID# SFT-5545.

Please note, we receive many requests and cannot reasonably implement all requested features or changes. Interest is tracked internally and if enough interest is tracked, it would be weighed against how feasible it would be to make those changes to consider implementing, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment.

When new features are implemented, they will be listed in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide. The ID number may be different than the internal feature request tracking ID, but the description of the feature will let you know if that feature has been implemented.

Release Notes - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Leave a comment:

• brucerobinson
    replied
    #ChelseaB oh you have, have you? I asked for this 2 months ago.
    There are 3 threads running on this and a Feature Request already.

This was identified over 6 months ago & Ninja did nothing with users having to workaround per here & elsewhere.

Then when released a ‘fix’ (not), it was an unprofessional debacle releasing an update with duplicated Release version number directly causing problems & wasting people’s time & yet another thread with me helping the user out of a Ninja created hole.

Sort this and yourselves out with an update with Remove/Disable as a matter of urgency and stop wasting everyone’s time.

Why don’t you collate this complete debacle, take it to your boss and tell them this sh*tstorm of Development & Support’s making needs fixing with some degree of urgency (& don’t put a patch up named v26.1)
    Kind regards,
    Last edited by brucerobinson; 11-22-2022, 12:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_ChelseaB
    replied
    matejzlv, GeorgeW,

While the web requests have been throttled down in the latest release, I have also submitted a feature request to disable this completely.

Once I have a tracking ID for this request I will post in this thread for future reference.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeW
    replied
    Hi matezlv,
    I have blocked both directions and been watching it for a couple of weeks, and I still get the "Live" green light at certain times of day, which I believe means I am still receiving thier feed, although it does not amount to more than 1GB per week.

Leave a comment:

• matejzlv
    replied
    Originally posted by GeorgeW View Post

Hi matezlv
    Are you blocking these IP addresses from your firewalls Outbound or Inbound settings? I've read an article of how to do it from Outbound, but my impression is that this needs to be done from Inbound?
    Thanks.
    Hello GeorgeW
    I block both directions, but in this case counterintuitively Outbound direction is truly right.

Below is how firewall rule should look in Windows firewall.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	nt1.png Views:	0 Size:	20.5 KB ID:	1220575Click image for larger version  Name:	nt2.png Views:	0 Size:	34.6 KB ID:	1220576Click image for larger version  Name:	nt3.png Views:	0 Size:	23.6 KB ID:	1220577

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeW
    replied
    Originally posted by matejzlv View Post

This update made significant improvement of how much data being downloaded. Instead of 800MB per hour to now "only" 19MB per hour. Still it's pretty laughable amount of data downloaded for such simple task as changing button color based on stream live status. This function should not download more than few kB per hour.

If anyone find this useful, I managed to stop NT from being able to connect and download the data required for button function by adding simple rule to firewall. Any firewall(windows default or similar) should be able to block range of IP addresses for specific program. For me those two Google IP ranges worked: 142.251.36.1-142.251.36.255 and 142.251.37.1-142.251.37.255 . Since then no unnecessary connections by NT to Google/YouTube servers.
    Hi matezlv
    Are you blocking these IP addresses from your firewalls Outbound or Inbound settings? I've read an article of how to do it from Outbound, but my impression is that this needs to be done from Inbound?
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• matejzlv
    replied
    Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
    Hello everyone,

Adjustments were made in a new build to address a discovered issue with polling, and you can download that modified version of Release 26.1 at our regular download location:.
    This update made significant improvement of how much data being downloaded. Instead of 800MB per hour to now "only" 19MB per hour. Still it's pretty laughable amount of data downloaded for such simple task as changing button color based on stream live status. This function should not download more than few kB per hour.

If anyone find this useful, I managed to stop NT from being able to connect and download the data required for button function by adding simple rule to firewall. Any firewall(windows default or similar) should be able to block range of IP addresses for specific program. For me those two Google IP ranges worked: 142.251.36.1-142.251.36.255 and 142.251.37.1-142.251.37.255 . Since then no unnecessary connections by NT to Google/YouTube servers.
    Last edited by matejzlv; 09-25-2022, 03:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brucerobinson
    replied
    ninjatrader_jim - to accentuate the positive, pleased to see you're listening/taking action.

"The goal here is to leave the Watch button and better control the impact that it has made. If you would like the button removed altogether, we can track that interest in a change request, since such an action would be a larger change requiring further review and consideration."

This is to conflate two issues.

"#Ninjatrader_Jim, per #BGWTEX - make a way to turn it off, 26.2, for release now please.2"

From this User's perspective, if you choose to implement the functionality and I do not wish to use it, then I want the ability to control the impact it has (on Platform performance, Platform use of my PC resources, and Platform use of my internet data) to Zero, not for it to be as determined by Ninja what is 'acceptable' for something I do not wish to have available or use.

Whether you enable that by leaving the Watch button with an option to disable it (disable polling, disable the button in its entirety, ('greying out'), removing the button on re-start (in the manner of changing skins) or however and all the attendant problems that may bring per described by #jeronymite is a separate issue.

The goal should not be to leave the watch button and better control the impact that is has made insofar as your description of what that means to Ninja does not extend to giving the User to control that to Zero which should be an absolute. By all means Ninja's objective may be to leave the Watch button, Ninja's prerogative. But in doing so giving Ninja control over the impact that has made on platform and/or my PC and/or data use above Zero should not be for Ninja to determine nor a requirement of that goal.

This thread is a clear example of why that is so, if another one were needed.

Still stuck on 26.0 without Support, and with further rather than fewer reasons to remain so.

"If you would like me to track your interest for removal of the button past this change, please let me know."
    It seems pretty clear by the opinions already voiced that at the very least several Users want the ability to choose not to have the button displayed.....

I'd encourage those on this thread and viewers here who wish to see the ability to disable the button's polling and/or remove or hide or disable it to publicly add their Vote on that thread.

Kind regards,
    Last edited by brucerobinson; 09-18-2022, 05:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jeronymite
    replied
    Well, a nice idea .. but a few things not as they should be, frankly:
    • All releases should have a unique version identifier, otherwise there will be endless confusion over "did you install the really latest version called 8.0.26.1 or the earlier version called, ahem, 8.0.26.1"? This is simple common sense in Release Management.
    • And this "latest" version of 8.0.26.1 now shows the dreaded Watch button in the Control Center for a full multi-broker licensed user ... which it did not on the "not-the-latest" 8.0.26.1 and which was certainly the preferred (invisible!) form of that button
    • And the SafeMode Start Menu item has disappeared
    • So ... reverting to the "not-the-latest" 8.0.26.1 for now
    Thanks.

EDIT: BEWARE: I installed the "new" 8.0.26.1 then simply re-installed the "original" 8.0.26.1. All good, you might think? ABSOLUTELY NOT! I have 100,000+ lines of AddOn code developed over more than 11 years with NinjaTrader (some pre NT8 obviously) and NINE of 40 source files were corrupted by that simple process! Yes, I had backups and that is how I know it was this simple install/re-install that caused it. The corruption varies in the files and ranges from characters deleted to characters inserted. I have never used this emoji before, but it fits: I hope I never have to use it again. As a NinjaTrader Vendor, I have made my "deep concern" known to NinjaTrader!
    Last edited by jeronymite; 09-15-2022, 11:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_Jim
    replied
    Hello everyone,

Adjustments were made in a new build to address a discovered issue with polling, and you can download that modified version of Release 26.1 at our regular download location:

The amount of communication between servers has far decreased.

(We are not incrementing a new release version for this minor change.)

The goal here is to leave the Watch button and better control the impact that it has made. If you would like the button removed altogether, we can track that interest in a change request, since such an action would be a larger change requiring further review and consideration.

If you would like me to track your interest for removal of the button past this change, please let me know.

Leave a comment:

• brucerobinson
    replied
    ninjatrader_jim - the request wasn't to 'throttle it down', it was to choose to disable it. You offer no resolution on either, and consequently the rock and hard place I am currently left in re: update or obsolete.and unsupported.

So I'll address my further question to both your good self and the wider User Community: incl. #MattD888:who identified it is a (Ninja presumably) YouTube channel IP Host IP address it is polling. Presumably a static address

- can this be blocked e.g. in one's Router, or by software e.g. antivirus, antimalware etc.?

The issue was identified and raised with NT here many months ago and it has taken a User to bring to light the true cause, very likely known by NT Support and Development at the time raised.

Kind regards,
    Last edited by brucerobinson; 09-14-2022, 01:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by Rxxar, Yesterday, 09:56 AM
5 responses
0 likes
Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
Started by Orion815, Today, 07:36 AM
3 responses
0 likes
Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse