Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trading sessions in relation to margin

Hi all.
    I'm trying to get my "intraday" right. I will be trading 4 instruments on three market places:
    CME (ES and 6E)
    COMEX (SI) and
    NYMEX (CL)

The information is there https://www.cmegroup.com/trading-hours.html but I have difficulties to translate it into NT.

However my basic question is simple: When do I have to close a position (best in CT) in the given market places so that it is *not* assumed an overnight position.

Could anybody help me with that?

Best regards, Hendrik

... maybe somebody from the Ninjatrader staff ... ?

Comment

Hello shirokuma,

Thanks for posting.

Intraday margins apply during the hours of 5:00pm CT (Session open) until 3:45pm CT (the next day).

For a list of margin requirements for all products available through NinjaTrader Brokerage and information on our margin policy, please refer to the following links:Please be advised that during times of volatility margins may be increased. You can find any margin changes up-to-date on our page linked below:Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
      Sergey S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

... thanks )

Comment

When the three margin conditions apply, and exceptions:

(Example times applicable to CME products with markets closed between 4:00 PM and 5:00 PM CT, excluding holidays. All times are US Central Time.)

Intraday Margin
          The broker Intraday Margin requirement applies to open positions during the current intraday session, between the 5:00 PM session start and the Intraday Margin end at 3:45 PM on the next day. Intraday Margin applies during this time period to new positions opened during the current session, and to existing open positions carried forward from a prior session.

Initial Margin
          The exchange Initial Margin requirement is effective between the 3:45 PM Intraday Margin end time and the CME session end fifteen minutes later at 4:00 PM, and is applicable to an open position if there is a trade during the current session in the same futures product as the open position.

When the open position during this time period is an existing position carried forward from a prior session, and there was no trade in the same futures product during the current session, then Initial Margin does not apply. Instead, Maintenance Margin applies.

Maintenance Margin
          The exchange Maintenance Margin requirement is effective between the 3:45 PM Intraday Margin end time and the CME session end fifteen minutes later at 4:00 PM, and is applicable only to an existing open position carried forward from a prior session, and only if there is no trade in that same futures product during the current session.

When the open position during this time period is an existing position carried forward from a prior session, and there was a trade in the same futures product during the current session, then Maintenance Margin does not apply. Instead, Initial Margin applies.

Exceptions
          The exchange or broker may change margin requirements at any time, without notice. Exceptional margin changes are typically due to volatile market conditions, anticipated or actual, and the broker determining that higher margin is required for additional protection. At NinjaTrader, notice of exceptional margin changes are posted at the Order Desk Updates web page:
          The NinjaTrader risk team evaluates market conditions in real-time and reserves the right to adjust intraday margins in accordance with market volatility.

Additional reference:
          The NinjaTrader risk team evaluates market conditions in real-time and reserves the right to adjust intraday margins in accordance with market volatility.

https://ninjatrader.com/blog/futures...hange-margins/
          https://ninjatrader.com/PDF/ninjatra...ct_details.pdf

Comment

Hi Lancer, basically, what Sergei already posted. But thank you anyway. Hendrik

Comment

You're welcome anyway.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Karado58, 11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
              8 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Option Whisperer  
              Started by Option Whisperer, Today, 09:05 AM
              0 responses