Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How often should Ninjatrader 8 be updated/reinstalled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often should Ninjatrader 8 be updated/reinstalled?

Hello guys,

How often should Ninjatrader 8 be updated/reinstalled? Every time a new version is released?

I've had some performance issues, but lately my platform have been running fine, actually. No changes on my part. So considering just sticking with it and not touching anything.

Still curious about the question and also what other users tend to do.

Thank you.

Johnny

“What other users tend to do….”
    Example of what one User does (although have been here long enough to know plenty other long-haulers do likewise)
    - once you have a version operating reliably for you if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, avoid being a constant fiddler
    - then, be a late adopter. If you’re tempted by bright shiny new objects, check the Release Notes to see if there’s anything you really really ‘need’ (see above) or anything Fixed that may be relevant to you
    - wait a while and check here for feedback on any issues with the latest Update release. It has not been unusual for a Release to be let loose only to find it causes a bunch of problems for Users and a .1 follows some time thereafter.
    These problems can be with the Platform itself (I.e. newly introduced as a result of changes, new Features etc), or cause them with 3rd party add-ons, Broker APIs etc. If so, you’ll invariably be pointed in their direction from here
    - it is important to update versions sequentially/incrementally from what I’ve seen on here. NT won’t let you (I.e. give you access to) go back more than one Version. So, say you are on v24 and all is ginger-peachy so you don’t update. Then you decide you want 26, find you have problems, you can only go back to 25 which you haven’t tried yet. If it doesn’t work for you, you’re stuffed until you find out why 26 doesn’t work for you or 26.1 comes along fixing all the problems 26 caused for you. A way around this is to save your Setup file so you have a copy you can run. But this ‘downgrading’ can still have problems, depending on what the Update did.

Simply put, I’d always wait for the dust to settle by checking here, avoid a .0, wait for .1 and confirmation it is sound (or .0 is good & no .1 will be needed), and that’ll keep you out of mischief. Take a deep breath, cross your fingers/close your eyes and run Setup.

I haven’t Uninstalled /re-installed (I’m guessing you mean when has become necessary as a ‘fix’ to ‘clean things up’, cure slowing performance and the like) in a very long time.

Nor, following the above, with an Update breaking things. That reminds me, I’m on .0 and .1 was released ages ago :-0

Other Users’ experiences may differ.

Good luck
    Last edited by brucerobinson; 08-27-2022, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Thank you, Bruce. Your comments are always appreciated.

I agree with your view. I don't see any need to change anything right now as things are working. Not only that, but it actually takes some time to rebuild my charts and add back in my indicators.

Part of the reason I'm asking is that every time I seem to have an issue - NT staff always asks if I have the newest version installed. Maybe it's just a default question.

Originally posted by brucerobinson View Post
      I haven’t Uninstalled /re-installed (I’m guessing you mean when has become necessary as a ‘fix’ to ‘clean things up’, cure slowing performance and the like) in a very long time.

Nor, following the above, with an Update breaking things. That reminds me, I’m on .0 and .1 was released ages ago :-0

Other Users’ experiences may differ.

Good luck
      Interesting. I've done that a few times when I've had issues.

Best regards,

Johnny

Comment

Hello,

Just another view, but I've always been the first to adapt to the new version since as a partner we get early access. Before installing I always look at the release notes BEFORE installing it to find out what had changed and if I could be effected).

Most of the time I had not had any issues and having the new feature have always been a benefit. With that being said, backup your entire Documents/NinjaTrader 8 folder. If you ever need to revert back it takes 2 seconds. Install the previous folder and then reinstall the old version which is always available...

When a few release is notified to partners, anything that is of interest we include it in the latest video summary. Here is the last release: https://youtu.be/zyolRJPYnqo
        it's usually published the same day as the next release so if you want to get notified about the new release before NT notified their subscriber base then hit that bell icon and you'll always know as soon as a new one is dropped, and get a video with all the most important changes.

xabcdtrading
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - XABCD trading

Comment

Thank you, xabcdtrading !

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
          14 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post aligator