Request for prevention of wash trades.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for prevention of wash trades.

Background: A trade is considered a wash trade when a buy or sell order is sent to an exchange and filled against an opposing sell/buy (respectively) order from the same user. Wash trades are prohibited as they don't represent a market participant taking a true position. The exchanges can sense when these happen (post mortem) and may open investigations into trader activities that can lead to legal actions.

However, in practice when entering orders manually using the SuperDOM on either side of the market in close proximity (e.g. to capture the spread), it is quite easy to accidentally create a wash trade in a fast moving market. For instance:

1. Placing a limit buy order at $11.00 and then attempting to place a limit sell at $11.50 or $11.25 but accidentally clicking $11.00 instead.

2. Placing a limit buy order at $11.00 and placing a stop market sell at or above (in low liquidity market) the $11.00 instead of below it.

To avoid cases like this I request that NinjaTrader consider adding an new option named "Wash Trade Prevention". When enabled, then anytime an order could potentially match (or cross) an existing order from the same user, the order is repriced or rejected (rejecting being simplest to implement).

Adding the feature to the the general engine would benefit all users and help protect them and NinjaTrader from being overly scrutinized/investigated by exchange regulators.

***Please note that Interactive Brokers (IBK) offers this feature by default and I don't think there is even a way to turn it off. When a potential wash trade could occur a message in the log says "Your order was repriced so as not to cross a related resting order."

Thanks for you consideration,
    Chris

Is this request for stocks or futures?

Comment

I specifically need it for CME futures but is there a reason not to apply it to all instruments?

Comment

Hello crokusek2,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I have created a feature request for wash trade prevention on your behalf. This request is being tracked under the number SFT-5574.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
        Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Ambrosib,

Are you wanting to add your vote to SFT-5574 as well?
          Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

An idea like this should not require votes.
            eDanny
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

I was researching about how to make sure to avoid wash trading and encountered this old request. Have this been implemented? Although, I am a bit confused as for Futures this rule does not apply. Is this not the case?

Comment

Hello Mcol5925,

Request SFT-5574 has not been implemented at this time.
                I would be happy to add your vote if you would like.

Regarding the rules for trading futures, may I have you reach out to your broker to inquire about this.
                If you broker is NinjaTrader, contact the brokerage at orders[at]ninjatrader[dot]com.
                Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by DJ888, Today, 10:57 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post DJ888
                by DJ888

Started by MacDad, 02-25-2024, 11:48 PM
                7 responses