• Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT 8.0.26.1 keeps crashing and cannot be started

anyone experiencing the same thing now?

My current situation is:
    1. able to connect to data when 32 bit is used
    2. crashes when 64 bit is used

Windows 10, 128GB memory, system dedicated to NT8 only, system updated to teh latest windows update (Aug 2022). System was clean, pure before the DTN connector installed some 32 bit old and outdated C++ runtime. The DTN was uninstalled together with the C++ runtime using windows system app installer.

NT 8.0.26.1 was re-installed to a new "Documents\Ninjatrader 8" folder. No 3rd party add-ons etc, all direct from the ninja installer.

Could anyone offer me some insights on why the 32 bit version runs okay but the 64 bit quits when to connect to data? (all data connection adapters tried)

please help!
    Last edited by timko; 08-15-2022, 12:06 PM.

Originally posted by timko View Post
    anyone experiencing the same thing now?
    Over the past several weeks, I suffer from individual charts freezing. Never happened before.
    I have tried to reset/repair DB to no effect. I have even run a batch file that erases the DB and has seemed to help.
    Now I am receiving an error when I "Connect at Start Up" that I have never seen before (see attached) and have no idea what it means.
    I am wondering if I should re-install a previous version of NT8 but have not yet, as the DB structure has changed recently and figure that the problem is with the current NT8 version and the NT/Continuum server side.

I just assume we are all NT beta testers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220813 NT error message.JPG Views:	0 Size:	170.6 KB ID:	1212129
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-15-2022, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Robotman Thanks for your input.
      I just performed an all new reinstallation. Whenever to connect to data, no matter simulated or live, NT8 crashes!

all new installation = uninstallation -> removing Documents\Ninjatrader 8 folder ->installation
      Last edited by timko; 08-15-2022, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Robotman Thanks for your input.
        I just performed an all new reinstallation. Whenever to connect to data, no matter simulated or live, NT8 crashes!

all new installation = uninstallation -> removing Documents\Ninjatrader 8 folder ->installation
        We've seen this recently with some of our VPS traders. After NinjaTrader crashes, open the Task Manager and check if there are there multiple processes for Microsoft Edge.

If so, end the processes and uninstall Microsoft Edge. That should fix the problem of NinjaTrader crashing, at least as a band-aid solution for now.
        Vendor_NT_Mobile
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Ninja Mobile Trader VPS

Comment

could anyone advise the difference between running the 32 bit and 64 bit versions on 64-bit windows?
          will the 32 bit version limited to use 4GB memory?
          if no difference, what's the point to install both 32bit and 64 bit versions automatically?

Comment

Vendor_NT_Mobile thanks for your input. No, there is no instance of Edge running...

Comment

Vendor_NT_Mobile thanks for your input. No, there is no instance of Edge running...
              Since NinjaTrader was crashing on startup, it could be a conflict with a 3rd party indicator loading at the same time as NinjaTrader is connecting to market data. If this is the case, disabling the Connect on Startup option for the brokerage account could help.

When you start NinjaTrader, wait until all of the charts are up and the blue spinning loading icon goes away. Then select the Connections dropdown --> Select your brokerage / live market data account.
              Vendor_NT_Mobile

Comment

Vendor_NT_Mobile thanks again but no, it's a brand new, fresh installation, no 3rd party add-on.
                there's no auto connect at startup as well. I have already stated this in my second post.

Comment

Vendor_NT_Mobile thanks again but no, it's a brand new, fresh installation, no 3rd party add-on.
                  there's no auto connect at startup as well. I have already stated this in my second post.
                  If the problem started after the Aug 2022 Windows Update, you could try to rollback those updates.

Also check if the update included .Net Framework 4.8.1. If not, you could try manually updating to it and see if that helps.
                  Vendor_NT_Mobile

Comment

Oh, man. Too much headaches with NT8 lately.

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the questions and updates!

timko While we can discuss this over the forum, writing in to NinjaTrader support would be the best route for a question like this so we could get your Log, Trace, and Windows Log files for further analysis which could contain private information that we don't want to share in a public place like the Forum here.

Robotman The same thing goes for you and your question. If you have been having freezing over the past few weeks, it would be best to write in directly so that we can analyze your log and trace files for an educated response as to why this could be happening. The NinjaTrader Forum is filled with anyone who wanted to sign up around the world so it is a mix of all types of users.

The biggest difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions of NinjaTrader would be the limitation on the RAM. Otherwise, it operates the same way. Both are included with the installer in case the user's computer is not 64-bit.

Since timko was the one who posted the original question in this forum thread, I will continue to address that below:
                      • You mentioned that this is a brand new/fresh installation of NinjaTrader without anything added into it but the Credentials you use to connect to market data correct?
                        • If this is happening on a brand new/fresh installation of NinjaTrader, this points to something with the local computer vs the NinjaTrader platform. If you keep reinstalling NinjaTrader, but nothing changes, that lets you know that the behavior is coming from something earlier in the chain.
                      • Does NinjaTrader only close/crash when you go to connect to market data?
                        • If you click around the NinjaTrader platform and open new charts everything keeps working, but the moment you go to connect to live market data, NinjaTrader crashes?
                      • If you connect to the "Simulated Data Feed" or "Playback Connection" does it crash still? What if you try the "Kinetick - End of day (Free)" connection?
                      • If it is closing/crashing still I would really like to take a look at the Log, Trace, and Windows Log files.
                      If you hold Ctrl on the keyboard and keep Ctrl held down while opening NinjaTrader to get it into Safe Mode, does it still crash?

If yes, please use the following steps to send us your Log, Trace, and Windows Log files to look into this behavior further:
                      • Send an email to:
                        • PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com with the respective @ and .
                        • Put the subject as "Clayton ATTN 03123324" so it makes it to me
                        • Put the results from the questions above and additional information or details you want to include in the body
                      • Send Windows Event Viewer logs:
                        • Right-click the Windows Start button and select "Event Viewer"
                        • Expand 'Windows Logs'
                        • Left-click on Application
                        • Right-click on Application
                        • Select 'FilterCurrent Log...'
                        • Change the 'Logged' drop-down option to 'Last 24 hours' > OK
                        • Right-click on Application again
                        • Select 'Save Filtered Log File As...'
                        • Make note of the save location, Enter a name for the file, and select Save
                        • Attach the saved Windows Log file to the email
                      • Send Log and Trace files:
                        • Open Windows File Explorer (hotkey = Windows key + E) Then navigate to, "Documents" (sometimes called, "My Documents") > 'NinjaTrader 8' folder or "NinjaTrader 7' folder
                        • Right-click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
                        • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to your email to Platform Support
                        • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.
                      • Send the email.

Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.
                      Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

There may be a causal link with the August 2022 Windows Update as mentioned by Vendor_NT_Mobile above. Since that update, my "very vanilla, untouched for ages" NT7 installation has failed to start in the 64-bits version. In fact, it is a "silent" failure, with not even the splash screen appearing. Even stranger, there is no record of failure in the Windows Error logs. This is tediously repeatable. The only solution has been to switch to the 32-bit version. Fortunately, there is no downside for me in this as I use NT7 solely for some generic monitoring. NT8 seems not to have been affected, for me at least.

Given the number of 32 vs 64 bits issues suddenly being mentioned, I think investigating a possible cause from the August 2022 Windows Update is warranted.

Thanks.
                        Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
                        jeronymite
                        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the updates.

As both Vendor_NT_Mobile and jeronymite have mentioned, it is possible this is relating to the August Windows Update.
                          • Without being able to look through the Log, Trace, and Windows Log files of the computer experiencing this, all we can do is provide an educated guess from the information provided.

Please remove/undo this most recent Windows update and test if the platform is still crashing and not working as expected. Please let us know the results of removing the August Windows Update.

If you are unsure of how to undo the Windows update, please visit the publicly available link below:
                          We look forward to your response.

Comment

Note also this recent post confirming the matter: https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...on#post1212405

Thanks.
                            Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
                            jeronymite
                            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the community updates!

Also thank you @joronymite for sharing that link as it is completely relevant and gives us an answer.

To resolve this behavior, remove/undo the:
                              • 22-08 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 21H1 (KB5015730)
                              Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by burtoninlondon, Today, 12:38 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post burtoninlondon  
                              Started by AaronKoRn, Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes