Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Plan or schedule for upgrading to newer versions of C#?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan or schedule for upgrading to newer versions of C#?

NT8 appears to use C# version 5, which was released ten years ago, in 2012. Microsoft is on C# version 10, which was released in 2021. Is there any kind of plan or schedule for catching up?

Hello carnitron,

Currently there is no public schedule for upgrades on the .net version used by NinjaTrader. While Microsoft does release new updates those don't necessarily work with NinjaTrader so that is not something which could just be upgraded as Microsoft releases those versions. To update to a new .net version all resources of the software using it need to also use that version. This would also be something that can potentially cause code breaking changes for users of NinjaScript who use custom references or rely on the specifics of the .net version being used . That is not an easy change to make platform wide. The most recent change happened a few versions ago which was the move to .net 4.8. https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...8/8_0_23_2.htm

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yeah, I get it. I'm software engineer by trade, so I am quite familiar with migration issues like this. That said, staying reasonably current is good practice and enables people to leverage better tools, so I figured I would ask. Given the relatively recent move to .net 4.8, it does sound like you actively migrate, just slowly.

Comment

This thread is very relevant: https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...-and-c-version

Software Engineering is comparatively straightforward in an environment where things do not change. Change introduces scope for disruption. That is to be expected.

However, no change in an environment when "all around are changing" is not good either. There is a compelling and potent argument that NinjaTrader should plan to update underlying technologies at regular intervals, preferably of two years or less, not in decades or only upon release of a major new version (e.g. NT7 to NT8). An update cycle that targets updating technology within 12 months of its release is not uncommon, even in environments that are in some measure "change sensitive". As a Software Engineer and as an IT Business Consultant to major international corporations, I can say from decades of experience that the neglect of this matter will sooner or later have significant adverse effects on the company.

Addressing this is warranted for many specific reasons, and I have written on this in that thread cited above, starting here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...68#post1179368

No doubt there are many competing priorities within NinjaTrader Development. Nevertheless, it is highly beneficial for the Development Team and many thousands of NinjaTrader customers who use the product precisely because it offers programmatic extension to a degree not found in any other platform!

And this is not some abstract benefit. It is a bottom line benefit, accountable in dollars. From a business perspective, it really is unequivocally a "no-brainer". To ignore this is to significantly undermine the immense attractions of the platform and to needlessly squander goodwill in loyal customers, particularly NinjaTrader Vendors who by their efforts often bring new licensees to NinjaTrader as paying customers.

So, to benefit NinjaTrader Development and its loyal customers, it behoves NinjaTrader to prioritise this with urgency.

Thanks.
        Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
        jeronymite
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

I would say that there is no need to rock the boat. I use the same strategy day in and day out without a glitch. Any update would require exhaustive testing and might cause unnecessary delay. We are talking a lot of $$$ on the line with all our fellow NT users. Not recommend.
          Last edited by reubenlasky; 07-28-2022, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Exactly, reubenlasky , much at stake, and this "boat" has had no overhaul in 10 years in the case of C# 5.0, and 3 years for .NET Framework 4.8.

For many applications, moving to the most recent versions of those would most likely have little to no impact other than opening up a world of new features and substantial performance improvements. Those would give NinjaTrader the ability to improve the platform substantially, particularly from a performance perspective ... which it surely needs.

You only have to read this Forum every day to realise that there are many improvements that do not happen, and if the development cycle can be improved, the platform improvement lifecycle will also improve. A platform that stagnates eventually loses traction in the market and therefore loses customers and eventually becomes "risky business" for the company. That's the last thing we all want.

As I say above, moving these infrastructure components to the latest versions on a regular, scheduled basis at reasonable intervals is good business sense for the longevity of the platform and the company. Not doing so denies the company and its customers valuable technology with potential bottom line impact.

Thanks.
            Last edited by jeronymite; 07-29-2022, 03:02 AM.
            Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
            jeronymite
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Yeah, I agree strongly with jeronymite here. The best software companies like Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc. are constantly updating their APIs and staying current with technology trends, not avoiding migrating users forward for fear of rocking the boat. I'm glad we're not still on Windows 8, which was also released in 2012, for instance.

Safely, cleanly and transparently migrating users forward is a core part of the software business. Yes, it is work, and yes you have to be rigorous so as to avoid breaking customers' stuff, but that's just part of life if you want to be successful.

I do not love how far behind NT8 is, platform-wise, though do understand that perhaps the financial biz prioritizes stability over being tech forward.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by rbeckmann05, Yesterday, 06:48 PM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post bltdavid  
              Started by llanqui, Today, 03:53 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post llanqui