Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global drawings not visible after closing - reopening a chart

Hello,

In NT version 8.0.25.0 and 8.0.26.0 there is a problem with global drawings that do not get redraw after closing a chart and reopening it.
    This problem was not present in version 8.0.24.3.

Please watch this short video to better understand the problem and how to reproduce it.

But basically, if a user draw any drawing tools available by default, then change the settings Attach to (All Charts) then save these drawing properties as a Default Template. Then if the user draw new drawing, then close the chart and reopen it, the drawings will not be visible.

Hopefully, knowing this problem was introduced in version 8.0.25.0 will allow the NinjaTrader development team to fix this problem quickly.

Best regards
    ASCENDO Trading
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - ASCENDO Trading

Hello ASCENDO Trading,

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention!

I was able to recreate this error and have informed our Development Team. We are tracking this under the internal ID "TS-2832".

We hope to have this corrected in our next release. Should you encounter any further issues, please don't hesitate to let me know!
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Manfred View Post
      Hello ASCENDO Trading,

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention!

I was able to recreate this error and have informed our Development Team. We are tracking this under the internal ID "TS-2832".

We hope to have this corrected in our next release. Should you encounter any further issues, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Possibly I'm confussed.. Question for NT.. If I???

1.) Open freshly installed NT8 and connect to datafeed.
      2.) Open New Blank Default Chart (any instrument any dataseries)
      3.) Manually Draw Any 2 DrawObjects (Global and NOT)

This is now the only workspace and the only chart anywhere..

4.) So now I delete that chart

Shouldn't all manually drawn objects from that chart (Global or Not) be deleted as well?

Last edited by -=Edge=-; 05-30-2022, 06:47 AM.
      -=Edge=-
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

Hello ,

Thank you very much for your post.

It seems the issue, in this case, was caused by how the drawing objects were saved, this should be corrected in our next release version.

In your example, I would expect a global drawing object to appear on a newly created chart, while the non-global variant would be removed together with the closed chart.

A global drawing object should be retained, even if the parent chart is being closed, and should then re-appear on a newly created chart using the same general settings.

Should you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Comment

A global drawing object should be retained, even if the parent chart is being closed, and should then re-appear on a newly created chart using the same general settings.

So just to be clear, the only way to remove/delete a manually drawn global object is to:

1.) Manually delete it from a chart???

Scenario..

a.) Platform has Global Objects enabled across all Workspaces (several WS defined)
          b.) I open new workspace and close all others to analyze the markets over weekend..
          c.) I open several charts and tabs with various dataseries but yet all same instrument..
          d.) I Global Instrument Link all Charts and switch through the entire Nasdaq 100 list..
          e.) While analyzing each instrument I manually draw many objects (Global and NOT)..
          f.) Continue switching thru instruments leaving all DO's as initially intending to keep..

Now I'm done, and for whatever reason, don't want to keep/save anything I just did..
          Rather than just deleting all the charts and/or the workspace itself and being done..

2.) I have to go back and manually delete all those instruments global objects first???

-=Edge=-

Comment

Hello -=Edge=-,

Thank you very much for your reply.

If the drawing object was first set to global, it would indeed still persist even after the chart is closed.

The easiest way to remove all global drawing objects on a single instrument would be to open a chart for this instrument, then right-click on the background and select Drawing Tools > Remove All Drawing Objects. This would remove all objects on this chart in one go (which should only be objects you set as global prior).

Should you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Comment

If the drawing object was first set to global, it would indeed still persist even after the chart is closed.
              Having to remove them on a single instrument would not be an issue..
              Having to remove them on 100 instruments ends up quite cumbersome!

Although I disagree with the process, thank you for the clarification..

While we are talking about Global Draw Objects.. Another possible issue..
              Open any 1 min Chart, Connect to Data, and Apply the Sample Script below..

Code:
              namespace NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Indicators
              {
                  public class GlobalDrawTest : Indicator
                  {
                      protected override void OnStateChange()
                      {
                          if (State == State.SetDefaults)
                          {
                              Description                            = @"";
                              Name                                = "GlobalDrawTest";
                              Calculate                            = Calculate.OnBarClose;
                              IsOverlay                            = true;
                              AllowRemovalOfDrawObjects            = false;
                              IsSuspendedWhileInactive            = true;
                              ScaleJustification                    = NinjaTrader.Gui.Chart.ScaleJustification.Right;
                          }
                      }

int barsBack = 20;
                      bool isRecDrawn = false;
                      protected override void OnBarUpdate()
                      {
                          if(!isRecDrawn && State == State.Realtime && CurrentBar > barsBack*2)
                          {
                              Draw.Rectangle(this, "GlobalRec" + CurrentBar, barsBack, High[barsBack], 0, Low[barsBack], true, null); //Draw Global Rectangle
                              Draw.Rectangle(this, "NonGlobalRec" + CurrentBar, barsBack*2, High[barsBack*2], barsBack, Low[barsBack*2], Brushes.Red); //Draw NON Global Rectangle
                              isRecDrawn = true;
                          }
                      }
                  }
              }

After the first real time bar closes and the recs are drawn to chart..

1.) Select and try to manually delete the red outlined non global rectangle.
              (throws error message that object was drawn by indicator, as it should)

2.) Now select and try to manually delete the Global Rectangle.
              (Does NOT throw same Error Message and instead allows deletion)

Is this expected?

-=Edge=-

Comment

Hello -=Edge=-,

Thank you for your note.

I've been able to reproduce this issue and I would expect global objects to also show the note that they can't be removed without removing the indicator as well. I've sent this over to our QA team to take a look at and will let you know their findings. We're tracking this under the number TS-2837.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to assisting you further.
                Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kate View Post
                  Hello -=Edge=-,

Thank you for your note.

I've been able to reproduce this issue and I would expect global objects to also show the note that they can't be removed without removing the indicator as well. I've sent this over to our QA team to take a look at and will let you know their findings. We're tracking this under the number TS-2837.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to assisting you further.

Thanks! OK.. One more question/issue about Draw Objects in General.
                  Here is a video demonstration as this one is a bit more difficult to explain:

Code:
                  public override void OnRender(ChartControl chartControl, ChartScale chartScale)
                  {
                      ChartBars chartBars = GetAttachedToChartBars();
                      if(chartBars == null || chartBars.Bars == null) return;
                      Print(chartBars.Bars.Instrument + "   " + chartControl.Instrument;

//Default Code Below
                  }

Is this Expected?

-=Edge=-

Comment

FWIW I have noticed a problem which may be related.
                    Simply - all drawing tools I use which can be are set to Global.
                    End of day housekeeping runs a Hotkey Delete All Drawing Objects before Exit.
                    Occasionally some, but not all, remain on restart. & iirc it is not instrument specific or universal across an instrument I.e one or more type of object may remain/be deleted on one instrument but be deleted/remain on another. I only subscribe to one definition of ‘All’.
                    I can’t be more specific than that, nor care to investigate further as it is a curiosity I’ve noticed in relative recent times & easily rectified.
                    Re-running the macro removes the stragglers.
                    If I were to make one, I’d guesstimate coincide with .25 release.
                    As the hotkey combination is instructed by macro it eliminates human error, and it’s a daily routine I’ve been doing since Global Drg Obj were introduced & haven’t ‘noticed’ the behaviour until relatively recently…. Me wonders why.
                    Kind regards,

Comment

Originally posted by -=Edge=- View Post

Thanks! OK.. One more question/issue about Draw Objects in General.
                      Here is a video demonstration as this one is a bit more difficult to explain:

Code:
                      public override void OnRender(ChartControl chartControl, ChartScale chartScale)
                      {
                      ChartBars chartBars = GetAttachedToChartBars();
                      if(chartBars == null || chartBars.Bars == null) return;
                      Print(chartBars.Bars.Instrument + " " + chartControl.Instrument;

//Default Code Below
                      }

Is this Expected?

Yes??? No??? Maybe???

-=Edge=-

Comment

Hi Edge, thanks for reporting. I've made a ticket with our QA team to check this.

Kind regards,
                        -ChrisL
                        Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

any update on this ? Im on 8.1.1.7 64-bit and I still observe Text drawings disappear on save.

I have all drawings made as global objects and so far Horizontal Lines, Vertical Lines and Rectangle are getting saved and weirdly only few text boxes added were disappearing.

Any fix available ?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by NM_eFe, Today, 05:15 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NM_eFe
                          by NM_eFe

Started by vitaly_p, Today, 05:09 PM
                          0 responses