Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Is there a way to "layer" drawing objects in NT8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to "layer" drawing objects in NT8?

I'm trying to determine if there is a way to share drawing objects across charts in a workspace in a way that they can be toggled on and off (i.e. like turning layers on and off). Let me explain:

Let's say I have a workspace with 4 charts, all showing the same trading instrument. Chart 1 is my trigger chart that I use to execute and manage trades; Chart 2 (point & figure) is used only to identify and draw support/resistance lines; chart 3 (30 min chart) is used only to identify and draw trend lines; chart 4 (daily chart) is used only to draw fib lines.

I currently have "show global draw objects" check marked on Chart 1 and I "attach" the drawn objects to "all charts". This results in all those drawn objects showing up on the trigger chart, all the time. I also have to use "show global draw objects" on the other three charts to see the objects drawn on those charts. This makes the charts very busy and cluttered.

I am looking for a way to easily (and quickly) "toggle" the objects "on or off" from the trigger chart without the need to select each drawn object. For example, at times I want to see the S/R lines only, other times I want to see S/R lines and the fibs, but not the trend lines. Other times I want to see the trend lines and the fibs, but not the S/R lines. You get the picture.

I have dozens of drawn objects so turning them on/off individually is a problem.

Is there a way to group or layer drawn objects so they and be easily and quickly toggled on/off as a group on multiple charts?

Thanks

ralett There are probably a number of ways to achieve this, even without explicit "layer" support.

Take a look at the IsVisible documentation: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help.../isvisible.htm It offers a suggested way to group together drawing elements considered to be in the same layer into a list (or several lists for several different layers), and then to make the elements of any specific list visible or not. That may be a straightforward, supported way to do what you want, albeit not quite in the manner you were hoping for? You'll obviously need to implement the toggle mechanisms in the UI, but that should not be difficult.

Thanks.
    Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
    jeronymite
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Hello ralett,

Thank you very much for your post.

The only option I am aware of that would allow drawing objects to be enabled/disabled in bulk would be by using a custom NinjaScript, e.g. the following one that is available on our NinjaTrader Ecosystem website:While this would not group drawing objects in groups/layers, it would at least allow for them to easily be enabled/disabled.

Here is a basic guideline of how to import NinjaScript add-ons in NinjaTrader 8:

Note — To import NinjaScripts you will need the original .zip file.

To Import:
      1. Download the NinjaScripts to your desktop, keep them in the compressed .zip file.
      2. From the Control Center window select the menu Tools > Import > NinjaScript Add-on...
      3. Select the downloaded .zip file
      4. NinjaTrader will then confirm if the import has been successful.

Critical - Specifically for some NinjaScripts, it will prompt that you are running newer versions of @SMA, @EMA, etc. and ask if you want to replace, press 'No'

Once installed, you may add the indicator to a chart by:
      • Right-click your chart > Indicators... > Select the Indicator from the 'Available' list on the left > Add > OK

Here is a short video demonstration of the import process:
      Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.
      Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
      6 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post DJ888
      by DJ888

Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
      0 responses