SMA issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMA issue

Hi, on the attached 1 minute chart, I'm using a 10 SMA and on the 3 second chart a 200 SMA. I'm wondering why they don't calculate to the same levels (see blue price markers). I've tried using the "on price change" setting and the "on each tick" setting, but neither makes them match. The further away price is from the line, the larger the difference between the calculations.

Thanks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SMAs forum.PNG
Views:	105
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1199177

Hello,

Thanks for the post.

I would not expect a 10 period SMA on a 1 minute chart to match the value of a 200 period SMA on a 3 second chart. The reason for this is because by default, the data used to calculate the SMA is the close of each bar. The close of the 200, 3 second bars on average will be much different than the close of the 10, 1 minute bars.

The closest I could get the SMAs to match was by changing the Input Series to select the 'Weighted' price type rather than the 'Close' price type. With this setting, the two SMAs matched within a few cents of each other at all times. Here are some screenshots showing the setting I used:Otherwise, the only way to ensure the two values match exactly would be to use a hidden data series to plot the SMA on one of the charts.

For this example, I put a hidden 1 Minute Data Series on my 3 second chart, and then applied a 10 period SMA to that 1 minute data series:Here are the Data Series settings for that chart with the hidden Data Series:And here are the indicator settings:Please let me know if you have any further questions.
    Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for the excellent reply

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Kaledus
      by Kaledus