Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NinjaTrader 8 not responding this morning! HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NinjaTrader 8 not responding this morning! HELP!!!

Hi all.

I moved from NinjaTrader 7 to 8 about one month ago.

I noticed that, each morning, starting up NinjaTrader took longer and longer. This morning, after about 10 minutes of the program loading charts v-e-r-y slowly, and getting the msg "not responding", I forced quit and re-launched the program.

Now, after about 15 minutes, it's once more "not responding"!

What can I do!!!

Thanks.

Hello M_ichel,

Thank you for your inquiry.

It sounds like something within your workspace may be causing some kind of bottleneck. I will need to review your log, trace, and workspace files to confirm this. Please launch NinjaTrader in Safe Mode, and send us your log, trace, and workspace files (please do not share these files on the forum. Send them using the process below).

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
    • Loading workspaces.
    • Connecting on start-up.
    • Loading custom assemblies.
    • Getting instrument updates from the server.
    To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
    • Exit NinjaTrader.
    • Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
    • Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
    • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.
    You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support

Expand 'Other files' and enable 'Workspace files and UI settings'.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 3540639 ATTN Zachary

I look forward to further assisting you.
    Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NinjaTrader_Zachary Problem solved, following your procedure sent by email. Thank you very much for your knowledgeable and fast response!

I will manage my workspaces more closely in the future and use the "Close" function as much as possible to avoid having too many worspaces/charts open at the same time.

Still, having recently migrated from NinjaTrader 7, I must say that I am surprised. I never had this problem with NinjaTrader 7.

Also, given that startup time was getting progressively longer and longer, each day, leads me to believe that I am accumulating some data, probably needlessly.

My two largest folders, at the moment, are NinjaTrader 8/db/tick (3.27 GB) and NinjaTrader 8/db/replay (2.05 GB).
      Should I try to keep these two folders smaller?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Hello M_ichel,

Thank you for your response.

I wouldn't expect the overall size of these folders to really have an impact on performance unless that much data is actually being requested on any of the charts. Since this data is saved to your PC, it actually alleviate the need to request this data from the server which should actually reduce load times because it's already on your computer. Of course, if there's data saved in either of these that you don't find yourself using, it's alright to remove it. The primary items that impact performance as well as optimizations that can be done are available from our Performance Tips page;

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over performance tips:One thing that I would mention, since I see that you are using Interactive Brokers for data, is that Interactive Brokers data itself can be at the root of slow loading times for charts if not properly configured. All historical data requests must be less than a few thousand bars. If you request too much data at any time, your connection may get throttled and load very slowly or it may not load at all until the historical data request is canceled. These are limitations that are not possible to overcome. I'd suggest reading through the historical data limitations that can be viewed publicly on the TWS website at the link below;

https://interactivebrokers.github.io...mitations.html

Lastly, if you find yourself placing a lot of trades, sometimes this can cause the database to become quite large which may have an impact on performance. The database file stores a record of all of the executions within NinjaTrader. While we don't really recommend doing any kind of 'maintenance' with this file (unless instructed by our staff), a database repair may reduce the size of the file and improve the initial load times to some degree. If you'd like to do a repair of your database, you may do so with the steps below;
        • Disconnect NinjaTrader from any open connections via Control Center > Connections > Disconnect
        • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Database Management
        • Click on 'Repair DB'
        • Press the "Repair" button
        There is also an option to reset the database, but I would not recommend using this option unless you are okay with being unable to view your trading history in the platform. While it would definitely reduce the size of the database, it would also clear out all of the execution records within it so none of your previous historical executions would be available for you to see in the platform.

Please let us know if we may assist you any further.
        Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by wzgy0920, Yesterday, 09:53 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post wzgy0920  
        Started by Kensonprib, 04-28-2021, 10:11 AM
        5 responses
        0 likes