daylight saving time and charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

daylight saving time and charts

Have an issue with charts after US moved to daylight saving time.
    My computer sits in UTC+11 (Sydney) time zone but NT set to UTC-5 (NY time zone).
    Today it seems like the first hour of trading (as for now) is not charted.
    Or to be correct - if I have instrument selected I can see current (and next) bars but nothing between 9.30am and "now".
    I tried to refresh data multiple times but it did not help.
    I deleted all cache and historical data - did not help.
    I updated instrument definitions in DB settings - did not help.
    Is there anythign I can do to fix this issue?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-03-15 01_20_44-Chart - DISCK.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1193721

Originally posted by Atlant View Post
    Have an issue with charts after US moved to daylight saving time.
    My computer sits in UTC+11 (Sydney) time zone but NT set to UTC-5 (NY time zone).
    Today it seems like the first hour of trading (as for now) is not charted.
    Or to be correct - if I have instrument selected I can see current (and next) bars but nothing between 9.30am and "now".
    I tried to refresh data multiple times but it did not help.
    I deleted all cache and historical data - did not help.
    I updated instrument definitions in DB settings - did not help.
    Is there anythign I can do to fix this issue?

Name:	2022-03-15 01_20_44-Chart - DISCK.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1193721
    UPDATE - 1.5h later - still the same issue.
    Maybe it is not related to daylight saving time?
    Still no "historical" bars for today:

Name:	2022-03-15 01_51_02-.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	1193738
    Looking at Historical data - seems like no data for today is actually stored..

Name:	2022-03-15 01_51_56-WoT Client.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1193739

Comment

Hello Atlant,

Thank you for your inquiry.

When I attempt to replicate the problem by setting my PC to the Sydney time zone, setting NinjaTrader to EST and loading a chart, I do not experience the same behavior. My first candle on a 5 Minute chart closes at 9:35 AM EST as expected. Have you restarted the platform at all since the time change occurred? If not, please first restart the platform, right-click on the chart and select 'Reload All Historical Data'.

If this does not resolve the issue, I would recommend changing NinjaTrader to your PC's time zone temporarily and resyncing your PC clock. To do this;
      • In NinjaTrader, go to Tools > Options
      • Select the Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney time zone from the drop down
      • Select Apply and OK
      • Shut Down NinjaTrader
      • Right-click the clock in the lower right corner of your desktop
      • Select Adjust date/time
      • For Windows 10 click 'Date, Time, and regional formatting' -> Then click 'Additional date, time, and regional settings' -> then click 'Set the time and date'
      • Select the 'Internet Time' tab at the top
      • Set the server to time.nist.gov and then click Update.
      • If the message that appears says successful your PC clock should now be updated.
      • If not, select a different server from the Server: drop-down and try again (repeat until one of the servers is successful)
      • After updating the PC clock, please restart NinjaTrader, then right-click the chart and select Reload All Historical Data.
      If the chart looks correct in your local time zone, please then switch back to the EST with the steps below;
      • In NinjaTrader, go to Tools > Options
      • Select the Eastern Time (US and Canada) time zone from the drop down
      • Select Apply and OK
      • Shut down and restart NinjaTrader, then right-click the chart and select Reload All Historical Data.
      Please let us know if this does not resolve the issue.
      Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Zachary,

I did all what you suggested - changed NT time to Sydney, synced Internet time and re-started NT.
        As a result I could see proper data:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-03-15 02_24_55-U4735585 Close Watch US.jpg Views:	0 Size:	189.4 KB ID:	1193756
        Next step - change NT time to UTC-5 and restart.
        Looks like 1 day data for Friday the 11th is missing:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-03-15 02_26_56-.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.1 KB ID:	1193757 I cliked "Refresh Historical data" and got back to my original issue - only can see 1 bar for today.
        If I leave chart open it will populate next bars as well but if I switch to another instrument or refresh data - all these bars are gone.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	2022-03-15 02_27_19-U4735585 Close Watch US.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.4 KB ID:	1193758

upd: Also you can see that some data is actually brought from outside of trading hours (flat areas in the beginning of tradind days).
        Last edited by Atlant; 03-14-2022, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Hello Atlant,

Thank you for your response and for that information.

There's definitely some kind of conflict occurring between your PC's time zone and the Trading Hours setting on the chart. Since I can't reproduce this myself, we will have to troubleshoot a bit to figure it out.

What is the 'End Date' setting of your chart? This can be found by right-clicking and selecting 'Data Series' under the 'Time Frame' section.
          What is the 'Trading Hours' setting of the chart? This can also be found by right-clicking on your chart and selecting 'Data Series' under the 'Time Frame' section.
          If you switch from the current 'Trading Hours' setting to 'Default 24/5' or 'Default 25/7', do you see the data that's currently missing?
          Have you made any manual changes to the time zone for the Trading Hours template from within the Trading Hours window?

I look forward to your response and to further assisting you with this.

Comment

there is my current chart settings:

Name:	2022-03-15 03_04_28-Data Series.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1193770
            That is the chart after changing to 24x5 (wrong):

Name:	2022-03-15 03_07_27-Chart - EBAY.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	1193771
            24x7 is the same:

Name:	2022-03-15 03_09_37-Chart - EBAY.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	1193772

Instrument settings:

Name:	2022-03-15 03_10_59-Control Center - Orders.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1193773

My "US Equities RTH" settings (I did not touch them):

Name:	2022-03-15 03_12_57-Trading Hours.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1193774

Comment

Update -- I did a fresh install of NT 8.0.25.0 64-bit
              have exately the same issue. While I use Sydney time - all works fine.
              When I switch to UTC-5 - I can see just one (current) bar.
              Using Interactive Brokers for data feed (if it matters).

Comment

Hello Atlant,

Thank you for your reply.

I wouldn't expect a reinstall to make a difference, there seems to be something about the time zone/daylight savings time settings on your PC/NinjaTrader and the trading hours on the chart that is resulting in an issue here. Just out of curiosity, if you change the 'End Date' of the chart to be 15/03/2022, do you see any difference? I'm wondering if the discrepancy between the date in the US vs. Australian may be contributing to the issue here.

If that does not result in anything different, please try to uncheck the 'Break at EOD' option from within the 'Data Series' window, select Apply & OK, and reload the chart.

If neither of the above items has any impact, it may be best to continue this over email so that we can take a look at your log and trace files. You may send us an email with your log and trace files attached by going to Help > Email Support within the platform. Should you send us an email, please put 3527704 ATTN Zachary in the subject line.

I look forward to your response.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Zachary View Post

If neither of the above items has any impact, it may be best to continue this over email so that we can take a look at your log and trace files. You may send us an email with your log and trace files attached by going to Help > Email Support within the platform. Should you send us an email, please put 3527704 ATTN Zachary in the subject line.

I look forward to your response.
                  I installed frech NT on a Windows 10 computer which never had it installed and has nothing else but IntreractiveBrokers installed.
                  Result is exactly the same - works fine while in Sydney time and does not work with UTC-5.
                  Removing EOD and selecting 15th as the end date - did nothing.

Will send you email shortly.

Comment

Using Interactive Brokers for data feed (if it matters).
                    Do you have access to any other data feed?

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post

Do you have access to any other data feed?
                      not for realtime
                      upd - in IB I use Sydney time - this could be a problem..
                      will try to restart it in UTC-5
                      Last edited by Atlant; 03-14-2022, 11:16 AM.

Comment

not for realtime
                        upd - in IB I use Sydney time - this could be a problem..
                        will try to restart it in UTC-5
                        so, I have changed IB timezone to UTC-5 as well and now I have Ninja charts working.
                        I think it is a good start and at least gives me an option for a workaround :-)

Not very convinient for me because I also trade on Sydney exchange and of cause want to see local time, but in worst case scenario I can restart IB with local timezone.

Still believe that NT should be able to use realtime data regardless of IB timezone but have no idea how data is structured and developers will know better if it is a bug or feature :-)

Comment

so, I have changed IB timezone to UTC-5 as well and now I have Ninja charts working.
                          I think it is a good start and at least gives me an option for a workaround :-)

Not very convinient for me because I also trade on Sydney exchange and of cause want to see local time, but in worst case scenario I can restart IB with local timezone.

Still believe that NT should be able to use realtime data regardless of IB timezone but have no idea how data is structured and developers will know better if it is a bug or feature :-)
                          Hey Atlant,

Thanks for your response.

I sent my email prior to seeing this, so you can disregard the test that I had asked for. I'm still going to be testing with my Interactive Brokers connection and checking with our Developers if this would be considered 'expected' with how the adapter converts the time zone. When and if I have additional information/updates, I will let you know as soon as I have them.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Balage0922, Today, 07:38 AM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Balage0922  
                          Started by JoMoon2024, Today, 06:56 AM
                          0 responses