EMA Alert Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMA Alert Issues

I'm trying to build an alert which will tell me when a ticker price has come within two ticks of the EMA. I've been using a combination of >=+2 AND <= -2 for the ticker approaching the indicator.

This seems to work if the bar closes within two ticks of the indicator; however, I want it to work as long as the bar has gotten at some point within two ticks of the indicator, and I want to know when it happens as opposed to at the end of the bar.

Also, my alerts aren't showing in the Alerts Log only as pop ups. What could be causing that.?

Hello sgordet,

Thank you for your inquiry.

1. Please share an image of your Alerts window with the EMA alert selected. Additionally, please share a screenshot of the conditions of the alert so that I can recreate it and reverse engineer a solution.
    • To send a screenshot with Windows 10 or newer I would recommend using the Windows Snipping Tool.
    • Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save it as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.
    2. Do you have any filters applied to the Alerts Log, such as by 'Instrument Type', 'Priority', or 'Source'? You can see this by right-clicking on the Alerts Log and hovering your mouse over each option. If there are any without a checkmark next to them, they are filtered out and will need to be reselected.

I look forward to your response.
    Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Please see attached.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello sgordet,

Thank you for your response.

I've received your screenshots and am testing the parameters on my end. I will follow up with you once I've had a chance to test it out and see if I can reproduce the issue.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Comment

Thanks, Zachary. I think that I forgot to mention that, although the Alerts window seems to be working now, I'm still only getting the pop-up alerts intermittently.

Comment

Hello sgordet,

Thank you for your reply.

In the conditions that you've created, the price would need to be both less than or equal to your 20 EMA +2 ticks while also being greater than or equal to your 20 EMA -2 ticks, while the 20 EMA is greater than the 55 EMA and the 55 EMA is greater than the 100 EMA. This essentially matches exactly what you described as the desired behavior and in my testing, it functioned as expected each time. However, since it is on a timer, there were occasions where it would not re-arm before the condition reoccurred if it was within 540 seconds of the last occurrence. However, there was never a time that the condition occurred after those 540 second where it didn't work.

Since we know that the alert conditions for sure work as expected, perhaps there's another item that is preventing the alert from sounding when you would expect it to. The only setting that I can really think of that may be interfering would be the 'Calculate' property for your EMASlopeColor indicators. When I was testing, I was using the 'On each tick' calculation method. Please go to your chart, right-click and select 'Indicators'. Select each EMASlopeColor indicator from the 'Configured' section and ensure that you have 'On each tick' selected as the Calculate property on each. You may also want to change the color of Up Color and Down Color for each indicator so that it is very clear which one is which. Currently, you have the Slope Color turned on but each indicator has the same slope colors. That was making very difficult for me to determine which indicator was which when I was testing, so I changed them to various shades of green and red with the 20 being the lightest to 100 being the darkest so that I could very clearly tell which one is which. Make sure to hit apply and OK after completing each change.

Please let us know if we may assist you any further.

Comment

Thanks, Zachary. I have them EMA indicators on price change. I'll change them to on each tick and see what happens.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Haiasi, 04-25-2024, 06:53 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Massinisa  
              Started by Creamers, Today, 05:32 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Creamers