Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Second data series (SPY) changes position as chart window is scrolled through time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second data series (SPY) changes position as chart window is scrolled through time

Hello,

I have a chart window set up which displays the primary data series (ETSY) in candlestick style and SPY as a second data series shown in a line on close style.

When I scroll in time using the horizontal bar on the bottom the position of SPY changes, the image below shows the position of SPY relative to ETSY at a given point in time, notice that SPY is shown below the candlesticks at 15:30 where the blue vertical line is drawn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ETSY (5 Minute) - screenshot 1.png
Views:	217
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1191761

If I scroll to the right, the position of SPY changes, notice that at the same point in time where the blue vertical line is drawn the position of SPY is much closer to the candlesticks...

Name:	ETSY (5 Minute) - screenshot 2.png
Views:	150
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1191762

I have the scale justification of SPY at 'overlay' and I experience the same if the scale justification is set to 'left'...the scale justification of the candlesticks are set to 'right'. I only have the candlesticks set to 'auto scale' and it makes no difference if I make SPY 'auto scale'.

Is there a way to fix the position of SPY so that it doesn't move as I scroll through the data?

Thanks,

Neil

Hello Niel,

Thank you for your post.

Based on your screenshots, ETSY is set to 5-minute candlesticks. What do you have the SPY interval set to for the line on close chart? Please right-click your chart and select Data Series then provide a screenshot of the properties for both ETSY and SPY in the Data Series window.
    • To send a screenshot with Windows 10 or newer I would recommend using the Windows Snipping Tool.
    • Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save it as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.
    I look forward to your reply.
    Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi NinjaTrader_Emily

Both data series are on 5-min timeframes, please refer to the properties of both below...

Name:	ETSY parameters.png
Views:	138
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1191817Click image for larger version

Name:	SPY parameters.png
Views:	124
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1191818

Thanks,

Neil

Comment

Hello Neil,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tested with the two data series of ETSY and SPY and I was unable to find a way to adjust the scaling in the Y-axis settings or the Data Series settings so that the SPY would not move. This is because the value of SPY is different from the value of ETSY. If you think about the upper and lower range of the two prices, even when one is set to Left justification and one is set to Right justification, there isn't the same distance from the upper Y value and lower Y value for both instruments. The only way to keep the two prices equidistant from each other as you scroll is to set them both to the same justification, either Left or Right. This will, however, change the zoom on your chart so it will be further zoomed out and harder to read the price data. For more information about the different properties on the y-axis:

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
        Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by bc24fl, 08-30-2019, 01:58 PM
        4 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post PaulMohn  
        Started by sugalt, Today, 04:02 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes