Panel upper/lower margins are not adjusted when reordering indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panel upper/lower margins are not adjusted when reordering indicators

1. Create a chart with two indicators say CCI and RSI such that Price bars are in panel 1. CCI in panel 2 and RSI in panel 3.
    2. Adjust the upper/lower margin values of Panel with CCI to 15 instead of default 6.
    3. Drag RSI plot and drop between price and CCI such that now RSI is in panel 2 and CCI in panel 3.

The problem is that RSI now has a margin of 15 and CCI is back to 6.
    This is because the margins are tied to panel number.
    But for usability it must be assumed that the margins were set based on the characteristics of the indicator being used and thus the margins should be adjusted after a move so that they "follow" their originally associated indicator.

Hello scenewright,

Thank you for the message.

This is the expected behavior of the Panels.

The Scale Margins are being applied and defined to that specific Panel as it exists on the chart, not the indicator. So, if the panel is moved, it is redrawn and uses the saved preset Scale settings.

If you move a Panel within the Chart Window, all panels below the adjusted panel will be reverted back to the "preset" Scale settings.
    • If you have 4 or more panels within the window, you can test this.
    • Imagine the preset has the Margins saved as 5
      • Panel 1 is the Plotting Data Series Scale Margins set to 10
      • Panel 2 is an RSI Scale Margins set to 20
      • Panel 3 is an ATR Scale Margins set to 30
      • Panel 4 is a CCR Scale Margins set to 40
    • Now, click and drag the CCR to be able Panel 3's ATR.
      • Panel 1 and Panel 2 will still have their custom Scale Margins
      • Panel 3 and Panel 4 both "Moved" so the platform reverts their Scale Margins back to the saved preset so they are both now at 5.

To save new default preset scale Margins:
    • Right-click on the right-side price axis where the Prices are showing and select Properties
    • Configure the Scale settings and Margins as desired
    • In the bottom-right corner, click preset > save
    • Any new panels or panels that are moved will now default to using this as the Scale Margins
    Please see the following link for more information on working with Chart Panels:
    Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks. I suspected it was the "expected" behavior. I'd like to suggest that this behavior isn't very useful though. And that, with a little work, it could be changed.
      I can't come up with a single use case where the desired behavior is to change the customer-set margins on an indicator panel back to original settings when another indicator is moved up on the chart.

Comment

Hello scenewright,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Comment

• Panel 3 and Panel 4 both "Moved" so the platform reverts their Scale Margins back to the saved preset so they are both now at 5.
          I am unable to reproduce this behavior. When I do this I find that Panel 3 retains its 30% margin and Panel 4 retains its 40% margin.
          It's just that CCI now being in Panel 3 has the 30% and ATR now has the 40%.
          I see no reversion to the default preset value for panels "below" the move destination.

Comment

Hello scenewright,

Thank you for the update.

After further testing, Panel 3 and Panel 4 are holding their Scale Margin settings as defined for the panel number even when changing the order of the underlying Indicators.
            • For example, Panel 3 will continue to hold the Scale Margins that were defined even if you change what the underlying indicator is for that panel.

I have updated the feature request to reflect this updated information.

Comment

Hello scenewright,

Thanks for your patience.

The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-5477. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:56 PM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
              Started by cre8able, Today, 01:16 PM
              0 responses
              1 view