Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forex.com Instruments

Hi there.

I've been trying to get my instruments lists organised, but I'm having some trouble figuring out which instruments I am able to trade with Forex.com/CityIndex.

Is there a list available of the Instruments that this provider supports, or an easy way to filter instruments by this provider.

Also: Please could I request that someone look into a potential error in the instrument mapping for NATURALGAS cfd. There is a Forex.com mapping for this instrument, but I believe the mapping is incorrect as it produces and error "Could not find the MarketID for @NATURALGAS"

thanks

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

Thank you very much for your post.

We usually see this error when the connected Forex.com account is listed as a "spread bet" account.

Please contact Forex.com and ensure your account is listed as a "traditional FX account" that is enabled for these instruments.

Should you still encounter this error even after they confirm the account is listed as such and enabled, please let us know!
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Manfred,

Did you even try to connect to this instrument to reproduce my issue? it is definitely a normal Forex/CFD account as I am able to trade normal Forex Currency Pairs and also CFDs like @USCRUDEOIL @UKCRUDEOIL @USTECH1000 @USSP500

However, @NATURALGAS despite having a Forex.com entry on the instrument screen gives the error "Could not find the mapping ID".

Steps to reproduce:

1. Connect to a Forex.com or CityIndex account
      2. Open a chart for @NATURALGAS cfd

Expected result:
      - Chart opens with Natural gas historical data and is tradable

Actual Result:
      - Error on requesting bar series "Could not find market ID for @NATURALGAS"

Please perform this test and confirm the issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2022-02-11_094655.png
Views:	225
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1189466

Comment

Hello kevinenergy,

Thank you very much for your reply.

The mapping for this instrument is not unusual for Forex.com/CityIndex, and can also be noticed in other instruments, e.g. the SGDJPY:

Name:	SGDJPY.png
Views:	200
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1189476

As CityIndex accounts are not available to US residents, this greatly limits our ability to test data with this service.

If you are not able to receive data with the default symbol mapping for the CFD, please reach out to your provider to ensure you are using the correct symbol mapping.

While NinjaTrader has pre-entered symbol maps for most commonly traded instruments, it is possible the mapping for this instrument or the format it has to be in has changed without our knowledge.

I've also informed our development team to have a second look at this mapping and ensure that accounts enabled for this data receive it when using it.

Comment

Hi Manfred, I realise you're new (welcome by the way), but Forex.com and CityIndex are the same company. They're just brand names Gain Capital which was recently acquired by Stonex. So a Forex.com account should operate in the same way as a CityIndex account from a Ninjatrader point of view.

Can you confirm in your Forex.com account that you are able to view @USCRUDEOIL but you are not able to view @NATURALGAS - if this is the case then you have the same problem with me and this is an issue with the mapping ID for this instrument.

Unfortunately this is not something that users are able to change, it is internal to Ninjatrader and needs to be resolved at your end. Please take advice from some of your colleagues on this.

Comment

Hello kevinenergy,

While I am always happy to be welcomed, I'm NinjaTrader's Overnight Team Lead and have been here for several years.

While I have an active Forex.com account, I merely wanted to point out that the additional info in the mapping, e.g. the "(per 0.001)" is not a mistake but a part of the mapping and intentional.

If a preset provider in the instrument list is not working as intended, our first suggestion is always to reach out to the provider, as they would be able to provide the correct mapping information to you.

While we are also doing this from our end, as mentioned, it can take a while for this information to be updated within the NinjaTrader platform. To expedite this process, please reach out to your provider and let them know you are looking for the exact mapping for this instrument.

Comment

Hi Manfred, apologies I didn't realise you were a senior and have been here years; I was going by the join date and the fact I've never spoke with you before. That was quite rude I'm sorry.

I believe the correct MarketID is 401979190 - could you give this a go and see if it resolves things?

Comment

Hello kevinenergy,

No worries at all! I was able to track down the correct instrument mapping through CityIndex' records.

It seems CityIndex is using month-specific CFD contracts. The missing month in the mapping then caused the instrument to not be recognized.

For Forex.com/CityIndex instruments, the mapping needs to be identical (including capitalization) to how they are listed within their own platform, excluding the "CFD".

For the Natural Gas CFD, for example, this would be listed as follows:

Name:	NG.png
Views:	200
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	1189506

When copying this exact mapping into NinjaTrader, I was then able to chart the instrument successfully using the following mapping:

Natural Gas (per 0.001) Mar 22

Name:	NG2.png
Views:	180
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1189507

While I have not been able to find any additional information in this regard, I highly suspect this instrument will expire and will likely require a manual adjustment of the instrument mapping, as the NinjaTrader platform does not have an implemented way that would allow us to roll CFD instruments over to the new front month.

I have also not been able to find a continuous version of this CFD that would not require modifications.

I suspect this might be a limitation of how this instrument is being traded through these providers. I would still suggest reaching out to them, as they might have a continuous mapping available that we might be able to use going forward.

Should you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Comment

Thanks Manfred - following your instructions I was able to get this instrument to Load. Its unusual they're using a Futures CFD with expiry for this instrument.

May I ask: where exactly is the Mapping from the Forex.com description in the Instrument Dialog box to the Forex.com MarketID stored? Is this in the local Ninjatrader data or is the MarketID looked up on Ninjatraders webservers?

Comment

Hello kevinenergy,

I'm glad to hear you were able to chart the instrument!

NinjaTrader would only use the ticker symbol / mapping information itself. While our servers store a copy of the current instrument database, this would only be accessed e.g. during a reset of the instruments.

To limit any potential issue caused e.g. by a server outage on our end, all requests for historical or real-time data are sent directly from the platform to the exchange/brokerage, with the mapping information stored in the local database. Only if NinjaTrader's historical data is also requested would our server become involved (e.g. if this has been enabled in the Forex-connection settings).

As far as I know, Forex.com's MarketID is not being used by NinjaTrader, and I have not been able to use the MarketID to request historical or real-time data so far.

Comment

Cryptocurrencies are here to stay. They are truly revolutionizing how we use money and do business today. Many people started to invest in cryptocurrencies, and that's good. However, greater interest comes greater responsibility to stay informed about what you're investing in. Also, you should use only the safest exchanges if you buy and sell crypto. For example, I use only this Cryptoexchange. I never had any problems with transactions there, and the support is very receptive to all kinds of problems.
                      Last edited by Gormonioss; 04-24-2022, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by NRITV, Today, 01:15 PM
                      0 responses
                      1 view
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NRITV
                      by NRITV

Started by quantismo, Yesterday, 05:13 PM
                      2 responses