Futures quantity in demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Futures quantity in demo

Hello, I'm completely new to ninjatrader and I installed demo version to try it out. Previously I've been using Plus500 and there max quantity of assets I was able to buy was depending on amount of money I have which is logical, but in ninjatrader even when I set my account at 1000$ I can set the quantity of in this case MES to for example 100k and go for proft or loss like 1000000 in minute. How does it work, I mean I see something is wrong but am I doing someting wrong? Can somebody please explain to me why ninjatrader is not blocking trade even when I'm buying much more than I should? Thanks.
    Last edited by slow21; 02-04-2022, 08:54 AM.

Hello slow21,

Thank you for your message.

This is because the Sim101 account doesn't have any Risk Template associated with it which will allow you to set a Max Position Size for any specific Instruments. When you are live trading, this is dictated by your broker, but you may set a customized Risk Template for your account using the steps below, along with a Commissions template, to have your Sim Trading be as realistic as possible.

Commission and Risk Templates

To add Commission and Risk Templates to your Accounts, you may follow the steps below:
    • Go to the Control Center > Accounts window
    • Right-click on your Account > select 'Edit Account'
    • Select your template from the Commission or Risk drop-down menus
    • Click 'OK' to save and apply

Please keep in mind that Risk Templates cannot be applied to live trading accounts as this is managed by the broker. Commissions will be applied retroactively to past orders, however, any new orders you place will have Commissions applied once a template is selected.

If you do not see a Commission or Risk template that fits your needs, you may create a Custom Template from the Control Center > Tools > Commissions / Risk windows.

Additional information on both of these windows may be read here in our NinjaTrader 8 Help Guide: Commissions and Risk Overviews

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
    Justin D.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JustinD View Post
      Hello slow21,

Thank you for your message.

This is because the Sim101 account doesn't have any Risk Template associated with it which will allow you to set a Max Position Size for any specific Instruments. When you are live trading, this is dictated by your broker, but you may set a customized Risk Template for your account using the steps below, along with a Commissions template, to have your Sim Trading be as realistic as possible.

Commission and Risk Templates

To add Commission and Risk Templates to your Accounts, you may follow the steps below:
      • Go to the Control Center > Accounts window
      • Right-click on your Account > select 'Edit Account'
      • Select your template from the Commission or Risk drop-down menus
      • Click 'OK' to save and apply

Please keep in mind that Risk Templates cannot be applied to live trading accounts as this is managed by the broker. Commissions will be applied retroactively to past orders, however, any new orders you place will have Commissions applied once a template is selected.

If you do not see a Commission or Risk template that fits your needs, you may create a Custom Template from the Control Center > Tools > Commissions / Risk windows.

Additional information on both of these windows may be read here in our NinjaTrader 8 Help Guide: Commissions and Risk Overviews

It worked, thanks! Two more things how can I see/calculate max quantity of asset I can buy with my budget? And if I'd like to work with different currency, is switching it in account settings enough and in this way I get realistic simulation and everything is calculated properly or how does it work?

Comment

Hello slow21,

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, Commissions and Risk templates are only applicable in USD, and it will not be possible to change the currency chosen for them in your database.

In regards to your first question, this is actually dependent on the margin requirements of each independent broker. Since you are sim trading, I recommend reaching out to your Data Provider/Broker directly for a rundown of the margin and other risk requirements that would be applied to a live account on their end that you could then use to create custom a Risk Template for your Sim account that matches.

Comment

Hello slow21,

Unfortunately, Commissions and Risk templates are only applicable in USD, and it will not be possible to change the currency chosen for them in your database.

In regards to your first question, this is actually dependent on the margin requirements of each independent broker. Since you are sim trading, I recommend reaching out to your Data Provider/Broker directly for a rundown of the margin and other risk requirements that would be applied to a live account on their end that you could then use to create custom a Risk Template for your Sim account that matches.

Ok, but if I'm using ninjatrader demo isn't ninjatrader provider of data?. And for example if I would decide to buy ninjatrader to trade with it and my currency is not USD will it work fine?

Comment

Hello slow21,

Yes, if you are using the NinjaTrader Futures demo, applying one of the predefined 'Risk' templates would allow you to view the max number of positions the account will be able to have in the Tools > Risk window. This will match the broker's actual settings. If you have a specific amount in your account that you wanted to calculate how many positions you could open otherwise, you may use the Margin information on the Risk template to figure out how many contracts you can trade at a time before hitting a margin limit.

In regards to your last question about currencies, I recommend reaching out to our Brokerage team at [email protected] to see if you can open an account with us based on your location and how it will work in relation to your currency.

Comment

Hello slow21,

Yes, if you are using the NinjaTrader Futures demo, applying one of the predefined 'Risk' templates would allow you to view the max number of positions the account will be able to have in the Tools > Risk window. This will match the broker's actual settings. If you have a specific amount in your account that you wanted to calculate how many positions you could open otherwise, you may use the Margin information on the Risk template to figure out how many contracts you can trade at a time before hitting a margin limit.

In regards to your last question about currencies, I recommend reaching out to our Brokerage team at [email protected] to see if you can open an account with us based on your location and how it will work in relation to your currency.

Ok, I think I know everything I need. Thank you so much for detailed and fast responses.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
              11 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post xiinteractive  
              Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred