Nvidia K2 Grid Graphic Board with Ninja Trader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia K2 Grid Graphic Board with Ninja Trader

I have a Nvidia Grid K2 board. It is a server level graphic board.
    It is a graphic board without Video port interface with a monitor.
    Can I use this graphic board to boost Ninja Trader 8.0 graphic performance?
    or Is there a way to use this board with NT 8.0 any fashion?

Hello ridesharing,

Thank you very much for your post.

After doing some research in this regard, I would not expect the graphic board to improve NinjaTrader's performance, unless it replaces a less powerful video card already in the system.

In short; NinjaTrader does not require a lot of GPU power (depending on the used indicators), which leads to it not benefitting from a direct increase in GPU performance as much as .e.g a direct increase in CPU speed.

While the card would be used for rendering in a remote PC, using it as an additional card on top of e.g. another NVidia graphics card would not improve the platform's performance as far as I can tell.

Should you have any further questions in this regard, please don't hesitate to let us know!
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Manfred,
      So what is the computer resource that benefits NT most ?
      CPU speed and/or thread ?
      how about building a computer with a server-style motherboard with dual CPU sockets ?

Comment

Hello ridesharing,

The biggest benefit would come from the CPU speed itself.

To ensure all data for one instrument is handled in series, each instrument will run on a single CPU core. This means additional physical or virtual CPUs bring the greatest benefit if you chart many different instruments, whereas the CPU speed would most benefit setups that focus on a few instruments with complex calculations (e.g. volume profiles).

Please don't hesitate to let me know, should you have any further questions!

Comment

Hi Manfred,

I run 7 instruments plus one 1Min chart of ES500 VolumeMetric. In each instrument, I have 3 charts: 1 min, 10min, daily. So I am running a total of 22 charts, most of the trading happens on 1 minutes chart. I am running with a graphic card of 4 ports for 4 monitors.

I am using Intel i5, Intel Core i5-9600KF 3700 MHz 6 cores.

Do I overload my PC with this NT setting ?

Does this help: a new PC with dual socket: Intel Core i7-12700KF Desktop Processor 12 (8P+4E) Cores up to 5.0 GHz Unlocked

So I will have a total of 24 cores with 5.0GHz.

Do you think it would solve the problem of overloading ?

Comment

Hello ridesharing,

Looking at these values, I don't think NinjaTrader should experience any issues.

One way to test how much performance the platform currently uses and if any of the indicators or charts uses a larger percentile of your overall performance is to open NinjaTrader's "NinjaScript Utilization Monitor". This will record how much calculation time each individual script, chart style, or indicator uses.

To open this, please follow the steps below:
            • Control Center > New > NinjaScript Output
            • Right-click within the NinjaScript output window > Select 'NinjaScript Utilization Monitor...
            • This window will begin to populate with NinjaScript items in order of time spent processing, in milliseconds
            In general, your platform has 1,000 ms of calculating time available per second (as 1,000 ms = 1 second).

If you notice that one or two of the indicators uses an excessive amount (e.g. 300 or 400 ms per second), I would then suggest taking a look at the settings to see what might be using the additional performance.

If you are uncertain about the values you see, please don't hesitate to send us a screenshot of this window. You can forward it to us via email ( platformsupport (at) ninjatrader (dot) com) or upload it here on the forum.

Please also let us know how long the window was open prior to taking the screenshot, as this can give us a good indication of how much overall time was spent calculating.

Last but not least, please don't hesitate to let me know, should you have any further questions!

Comment

Hi Manfred,

Please see the screenshot. This was taken at 7:20am PDT in the normal trading day.

I see two types have more than 1000 ms. The volumetric and Candlestick.

At the output screen, it takes about 1-2 seconds to open the NinjaScript Utilization Monitor.

Image #1 is on a normal trading activities.
              Image #2 is on a time with ES in fast market condition in addition to fast market condition I open for charting like Natural Gas, Silver, Gold and Crude Oil.

Do you think I am way overloaded ?

Comment

Hello ridesharing,

Thank you for your patience.

Based on your screenshots from the utilization monitor, it doesn't appear that any one indicator or configuration is the main culprit for any performance-related behavior you may be experiencing. You may benefit from reducing the number of days to load on the charts in your workspace. As you mentioned, you have about 22 charts in your workspace. Reducing the number of days to load in a chart is one of the most common performance tips I have seen implemented to help optimize performance. We have additional performance tips listed here:

The number of days may be reduced by right-clicking a chart > selecting Data Series > changing "Days to load" > then clicking OK to save the changes. For example, by default minute-based charts load 5 days and tick charts load 3 days. There is no "magic" number of days, as everybody's needs differ and PC performance varies based on each user's PC specifications.

If you would like more in-depth information about how NinjaTrader uses multi-threading, please see the forum post located here:
                Hi, Is there any plan for NinjaTrader to utilize multiple CPU cores? I use the AMD Threadripper 1950X, which is a 16 core 32 thread processor, its overclocked to 4.1 GHz. I have 32 GB Ram, a Nvidia 1080ti GFX card, and use a M.2 NVME drive All in all, in comparison to the vast majority of trader's systems, my system is

There is also a way to use the Task Manager in Windows to monitor resource usage and to see if any of your PC's cores are being overloaded. This image explains how to monitor this usage:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	threads.png
Views:	320
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	1188054

I hope this information has been useful. Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
                Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                47 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post aligator  
                Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes