Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can OBS Studio work to record a screen on NT? If not - suggestion for other software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can OBS Studio work to record a screen on NT? If not - suggestion for other software?

Hello all,

I'm interested in starting to make some recordings of my trading sessions and was recommended to check out OBS Studio which is free. A common problem seems to be a black screen using Window Capture. I tried the solution, but it's still not working.

OBS Studio will recognize the "Control Center" on NT8, but it seems like for the charts it will only recognize the frame of the window.

I have a hunch that this would be because of how the charts are designed in NT, but I can't say for sure and I'm not techie.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

If not - any other software that could work?

As I switch between windows when trading a requirement for me personally would be that the software could be recording a specific window all the time (and not filming when I switch between windows) like should be possible with OBS.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Yes it can, I've done it numerous times. You just need to play around with OBS settings, which can be rather confusing... If all else fails, try setting up for a Display capture, and then adjust the capture rectangle corners. (Hint: I think the Alt or Control keys do neat stuff in this context, but check the OBS help guide...)

It may be that you cannot get the best solution, ie one that tracks a nominated window, even if that window is not displayed, like I think works with browsers... but, at least you capture something.

Cheers,
    T.

Comment

Hi, T,

Thanks for your comment.

Currently, 'all else fails'...

See attached. I think I tried most of the troubleshooting stuff.

Display capture could probably work, but then I will have the problem with switching windows as I usually do when trading and for this purpose I would very much like it to record only one of my charts.

Cheers.

Attached Files

Comment

As can be seen - OBS can do a window capture of my control center just fine, but for my charts, it seems to capture only the frames. I actually use white charts, but you can see that the entire screen is black.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
          As can be seen - OBS can do a window capture of my control center just fine, but for my charts, it seems to capture only the frames. I actually use white charts, but you can see that the entire screen is black.
          Try this:

It helps.

Comment

I use cloud-based Screencast-O-Matic.com -- absolutely love it, works great.

They let you record screen videos, narrate as you record, and edit them -- all for free.

Comment

Hello Johnny,

Please note that we don't support any particular screen capture software. If you can't record properly with OBS, I suggest to use a different screen capture tool that works such as the one that bltdavid suggests.
              JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

In case it might help you to know, the issue you encounter is because NT CHART Windows use .wpf (Windows Presentation Format). As I understand it (not much), OBS can’t handle this - so it can record a whole screen, but not the contents of a chart window using .wpf.
                Point being I believe you need to look for a recording package that can handle .wpf in order to capture contents of individual NT Chart Windows.
                This was a change in 8 from 7.
                I see I have CamStudio on a PC which may be in response to that change, can’t recall but might be worth a look.
                Best,

Comment

Originally posted by nothingbutprofits View Post

Try this:

It helps.

Thanks. It helps, but doesn't seem to quite work anyway. It only records part of the window, it seems.

Also, as soon as I switch tabs - so does the recording. I imagine it's not possible to have the program lock down one window (tab) for recording while I switch through other tabs. So I possibly need one dedicated window for recording.

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post
                    I use cloud-based Screencast-O-Matic.com -- absolutely love it, works great.

They let you record screen videos, narrate as you record, and edit them -- all for free.
                    Thank you!

I'll look into it.

Do you know if it's possible to have the program lock down a single tab in a window for recording such that I can switch through windows/tabs, but have the program record only one specific tab (window)?

Comment

Originally posted by brucerobinson View Post
                      In case it might help you to know, the issue you encounter is because NT CHART Windows use .wpf (Windows Presentation Format). As I understand it (not much), OBS can’t handle this - so it can record a whole screen, but not the contents of a chart window using .wpf.
                      Point being I believe you need to look for a recording package that can handle .wpf in order to capture contents of individual NT Chart Windows.
                      This was a change in 8 from 7.
                      I see I have CamStudio on a PC which may be in response to that change, can’t recall but might be worth a look.
                      Best,

Thanks for the detailed reply, Bruce. I suspected that was the reason. I think that's why I wasn't able to use screen-dividing software or Ninjatrader either when I first bought my larger screen, but it seems to work now. Either NT or Dell implemented a fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                        Do you know if it's possible to have the program lock down a single tab in a window for recording such that I can switch through windows/tabs, but have the program record only one specific tab (window)?
                        Uh, well, hmm, I don't know for sure ...

But ...
                        I'm sure the answer is (most likely) no.
                        I'm sure screencast-o-matic (most likely) does not know anything about
                        the interior of a NinjaTrader chart window and how it is arranged.

So why not do this?
                        Make yourself a rule: any chart window you wish to record only has one tab.

Problem solved, no?
                        Last edited by bltdavid; 10-18-2021, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post
                          So why not do this?
                          Make yourself a rule: any chart window you wish to record only has one tab.

Problem solved, no?
                          Yeah. You're right.

I didn't want the hazzle of changing up my set-up, but I could simply have this window in the background as a window that's recorded. Problem solved.

OBS does not seem to work, though.

At first, I was able to do this, but when I re-boot OBS, it's capturing a different window. And if I try to set it up again - it won't find that specific window. Just a lot of headache with OBS really.

Maybe I'll have to try out screen-o-matic.

Comment

#Jonny,
                            You can tell OBS which Window to capture and it be 'sticky'/save it - go to Sources, then Add a New one, then under its Settings choose the NT Window you want it to record (every Window you have open will be listed, whatever program it is opened in and Window Tab) and Save it. You might have to delete the default one so your custom one is the only one/top of the list so it selects it by Default.
                            Whether or not it can capture an NT Chart Window contents (the .wpf format, if I'm correct) I don't know - but the above should solve your losing it after rebooting OBS problem, I believe. Maybe. Resolve half your problem, but not a fix if it records your desired NT Chart window but with blank chart content :-(
                            Last edited by brucerobinson; 10-19-2021, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brucerobinson View Post
                              #Jonny,
                              You can tell OBS which Window to capture and it be 'sticky'/save it - go to Sources, then Add a New one, then under its Settings choose the NT Window you want it to record (every Window you have open will be listed, whatever program it is opened in and Window Tab) and Save it. You might have to delete the default one so your custom one is the only one/top of the list so it selects it by Default.
                              Whether or not it can capture an NT Chart Window contents (the .wpf format, if I'm correct) I don't know - but the above should solve your losing it after rebooting OBS problem, I believe. Maybe. Resolve half your problem, but not a fix if it records your desired NT Chart window but with blank chart content :-(

Hi, Bruce,

Many thanks. Your support is appreciate as always.

I'll see if I can look into this over the weekend.

Best regards,

Johnny

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by PaulMohn, Today, 05:00 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post PaulMohn  
                              Started by ZenCortexAuCost, Today, 04:24 AM
                              0 responses