Macro Reset Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macro Reset Issue

I thought that I was on the latest version of NT, but yesterday I had a support issue and was told to upgrade to the latest version. In hindsight, I think that this instruction was part of boiler plate troubleshooting instructions. In any case, I upgraded to (or possibly re-installed) 8.0.24.3 64-bit.

I make extensive use of NT macros, but I've needed to change their defaults because I use so many in other programs. After the program install, I discovered that all of my NT macros were re-set to their defaults. In case this happens again, is their a way to make a printout of them? This would be easier and more useful than taking screenshots..

Hello sgordet,

Thank you for your post.

In order to print out the macros/hot keys, please go to Control Center > Tools > Hot Keys. Right-click in the Hot Key Manager (specifically somewhere in the section on the right-hand side that shows the keys) and select "Print Hot Keys"

For more information, please see the help guide section here:

I don't suspect that the update would have been the cause of the hot keys changing back to default, as this information is stored in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\UI.xml file and that information should be retained in the platform when performing an update. Please check for any sort of antivirus or auto-backup software that might have access to scan/modify the NinjaTrader 8 folder in your documents. I would suggest adding this folder and all files and sub-folders within as an exception to any of those scans/backups to prevent this type of behavior in the future.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

You're right.

Because of an issue that I was having yesterday, Ryan_S suggested I delete the UI.xml file This was right after I was told by a different engineer to install the latest version of NT and re-boot because I couldn't log in. I don't know which of the two actions fixed the problem, but afterward, I was able to log in to NT.

Later in the day Ryan_S suggested that I delete the UI.xml file because my Alerts window was unreadable.

I don't know if NT Support sends internal suggestions to their engineers, but it would be a good idea to let users know to print out their macros when they are asked to delete their UI.xml file. .

Are there any other changes that I should be aware of because of the file deletion?

Thanks,
      Stephen

Comment

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for your reply.

The UI file contains User Interface information, such as some window sizing and items such as recently used/last used instruments. To help prevent loss, please ensure to create regular backups. I have included a link below to the backup and restore section of our help guide:

Although you deleted the UI.xml file as a troubleshooting step for the Alerts window, you may be able to temporarily recover it from your Recycle Bin in order to open the platform, print your macros, then delete and revert back to the new UI file again. If you would like to try this, please follow these steps:
        • Close NinjaTrader
        • Navigate to your Documents\NinjaTrader 8 folder and rename UI.xml to UInew.xml
        • Open the Recycle Bin (this may be found by searching in the Start menu or there is typically a shortcut on your desktop)
        • Search for the deleted UI.xml file. If it exists, restore the file to the Documents\NinjaTrader 8 folder
        • Open NinjaTrader. Go to Control Center > Tools > Hot Keys and print your hot keys
        • Close NinjaTrader again
        • Delete the UI.xml file in the NinjaTrader 8 folder and change the name of UInew.xml back to UI.xml
        • Launch NinjaTrader and re-configure your hot keys according to the printout you made from the old UI file

I sincerely appreciate your patience with this process. Now that you are on the latest version of NinjaTrader, once you have the platform configured as desired I would highly recommend creating a backup archive at Control Center > Tools > Export > Backup File. This way, if anything happens in the future you should be able to restore information from that backup file as needed.

Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.
        Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by PaulMohn, Today, 05:00 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post PaulMohn  
        Started by ZenCortexAuCost, Today, 04:24 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes