Speed up Market Analyzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed up Market Analyzer

I'm running NT on a laptop with 32GB memory and an i9 2.4GHz processor so I have a lot of power. I'm running the 64 bit version of NT

But when I run the market analyzer, it updates very slowly. The first custom indicator I am running does need to look back a few bars to get the total data. But when I look at my windows task manager, it says it is only using about 5% of the CPU and 8% of the memory.

I also hope to add a lot more instruments and filters to the market analyzer, but I'm off to a slow start

I was hoping to replace think or swim with the market analyzer, but TOS executes scans of a lot more instruments much faster.

Any way to speed this up?

Hello cre8able,

Thank you for your post.

Could you please send the log and trace from your platform to look further into this inquiry?

To send me your log and trace files from within NinjaTrader. Go to Control Center-->Help-->Email Support in NinjaTrader. Put '3172647 - Att Shawn', in the subject field and enable 'Log and trace files'. Also, give a reference of this thread in the body of the email.

We look forward to assisting you further.
    Shawn B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ShawnB View Post
      Hello cre8able,

Thank you for your post.

Could you please send the log and trace from your platform to look further into this inquiry?

To send me your log and trace files from within NinjaTrader. Go to Control Center-->Help-->Email Support in NinjaTrader. Put '3172647 - Att Shawn', in the subject field and enable 'Log and trace files'. Also, give a reference of this thread in the body of the email.

We look forward to assisting you further.
      Shawn, Hi.

He is not the only one with the issue of a slow Market Analyzer scanning for an indicator signals. Many others do have the same issue.

Most of the time when you ask for individuals to send their log and trace files, the resolution, if any, is privately handled and remains unknown to this community. Would you please report and share your findings regarding this issue so that others can benefit.

Thanks

Comment

sent
        thanks

Comment

I'm pretty sure I un-synced to onedrive
          re-installed NT
          seems slower... definitely not faster
          sent you new log and trace
          let me know what else to try

Comment

Hello Cre8able,
            It appears Aligator’s request to NT to keep this public has fallen deaf ears by your reply.
            FYI here is my experience with MA FWIW. My use case is different to yours, but you can use it to assess your way forward and hopefully not expend effort un-necessarily.
            I tried to use Market Analyser for Futures rollovers based on volume. The platform uses Exchange dates which are only estimates/predictions (apologies if I’m ‘teaching grandma to suck eggs’, no condescension intended) and hence sometimes some are incorrect. NT Development have declined to offer Volume-based as offered by other Platforms.
            So, my MA compares Volume of front Contract to next so when next exceeds Front I rollover even if this is before the ‘Platform date’.
            Not an onerous task for MA to execute, one would have thought. Initially, I set this up for the Instruments I trade (approx 16). Load time was minutes before the platform would become responsive, and once so, once running would severely impact other platform operations I.e. not viable to trade with MA running (this did not matter for my use case because I’m only using it when specific Instruments are nearing Rollover before trading I.e. ‘housekeeping’, but different for your indicator scanning wish).
            I then removed all instruments except those most likely to rollover by volume rather than date, FDAX, CL just a few meaning only a handful of instruments/contracts showing only volume Field and it loads quickly after which it is responsive.
            So, the conclusion in my case is that for the very simplest of activities it performs but easily becomes a bottleneck for the platform as a whole when such use is scaled.
            Based on my use case and experience, my recommendation FWIW would be to test a single example of a de-minimus example of what you want to achieve then scale it up to what you intend. If it slows to a crawl you have exceeded the capabilities of the Platform before achieving your needs. From your response it seems you’re being directed to look everywhere except at the core Platform’s capabilities. I’d stress-test that FIRST.
            I had precisely the same experience with Indicators attached to the DOM, Alerts, adding Multiple Data Series to Charts. Add a single instance and it works. Scale it to real-world use and you may soon run up against limitations.

Hope this helps.

Comment

aligator, in short, sometimes there are symptoms with simple universal fixes and sometimes there are symptoms that require further investigation and custom fixes that cannot and should not be applied universally.

We ask our users to write in with files because symptoms like "slow Market Analyzer" could have basically limitless root causes which require very specific steps to resolve. The analogy I like to use is "battleaxe vs scalpel": If we delete all custom add-ons then I suspect the symptom would no longer occur - this would be using a battleaxe as a solution. However, that's obviously not a desirable solution in most cases. We want to use a scalpel to be as precise as possible with our solution. We typically try to respond back on the forums in the original topic with any advice that may be generally applicable to all users, but providing specific fixes for specific users on the forums could lead other users to take unnecessary steps.

There is no universal fix for this symptom, so we don't have a universal solution provided publicly. Writing in with your files and working with a technician who can analyze the information you've provided and then deliver a customized solution is going to work out best for you and everyone experiencing ambiguous symptoms.

brucerobinson , I appreciate your anecdotal input and those are good deductive troubleshooting steps. We use that same logic when attempting to isolate a root cause that isn't obvious using other methods.

All that said, I highly encourage cre8able to continue to work with us via email for a custom solution based on expert analysis of their diagnostic files. If the solution ends up being universally applicable and will fix all instances of "slow Market Analyzer", we'll happily provide that solution publicly. This, however, is extremely unlikely.
              Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 07-09-2021, 07:44 AM.

Comment

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

thanks brucerobinson.

I will post what I learn here, but I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons that things go wrong.

Unfortunately for me, my reference was TOS where scans happen very quickly, even on thousands of stocks. But I can do so much more with NT that I am trying to switch.

I ran some tests and sent the data into support. They have been very responsive, which I appreciate. But we are still working through my problem.

My first test was one of my indicators, which has to do a lot of processing, compared to just having a BB in the MA. Fortunately, the time to run my custom indicator and the BB were the same. So the problem wasn't there.

So it appears to be a data feed problem. Or how data feed is processed problem.

I now get situations where after an initial data load, the platform slows down completely. I'm running the MA now, its very slowly updating, and I cant load a chart.

My first concern was that this is happening while NT is using about 5% or my processor power, 2% of my GPU, and 5% of my memory. That's the scariest part for me.

With the strategy I trade, I need to scan thousands of stocks.

As I'm writing this I'm waiting for MA to update and I notice that one-drive, which I hate, is sucking up a lot of resources as is my antivirus. My computer may be "protecting" me from getting data.

I'll let you know what I learn

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
                    The analogy I like to use is "battleaxe vs scalpel"
                    Yep, the classic nuclear bomb vs hand grenade dilemma.

Comment

Originally posted by cre8able View Post
                      As I'm writing this I'm waiting for MA to update and I notice that one-drive, which I hate, is sucking up a lot of resources as is my antivirus. My computer may be "protecting" me from getting data.
                      Hmm, what kind of anti-virus protection do you have?

Have you told it to ignore every file and folder that is owned by NinjaTrader?
                      Last edited by bltdavid; 07-09-2021, 08:39 AM.

Comment

In fact, have you tried telling your anti-virus to ignore One-Drive?

Comment

hey bltdavid
                          unfortunately its microsoft
                          I'm trying that now.

Comment

turned it off
                            didnt help

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post

All that said, I highly encourage cre8able to continue to work with us via email for a custom solution based on expert analysis of their diagnostic files. If the solution ends up being universally applicable and will fix all instances of "slow Market Analyzer", we'll happily provide that solution publicly. This, however, is extremely unlikely.
                              That is exactly what I am talking about, custom solutions disappear in private e-mail abyss and nobody benefits. This is not limited to issues with Market Analyzer but all issues with NT and there are many examples of custom solutions that are actually common issues and were handled by e-mail without any benefit to others.

Majority of the issues with using NT are shared by users. A simple example; Market Analyzer when scanning a watch list (i.e. SP500) for RSI crossing 30 and 70 can be real slow at times. Perhaps the watch list is too long, too much data is used, too many other columns have attached indicators, etc. all of these plus slow data can be the reason. What I was suggesting is when you find a resolution simply document the resolution with a final post and a short description of the issue and its solution. Every one of these nuggets can help other users with a similar issue with a simple search.

Since we are using analogies here, even Samsung will tell you in their FAQ if your washing machine shakes badly you are either using a heavy load or the machine is not level. I don't think they tell this custom solution to a user via e-mail.

Cheers!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by PaulMohn, Today, 05:00 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post PaulMohn  
                              Started by ZenCortexAuCost, Today, 04:24 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes