Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

workspace

hello,
    My saved workspace is not reopening. I've even restored it and it's still not reopening. i can see that it's green in the workspace tab in the control center but i'm unable to locate it.
    please advise.

thanks

Hello agraham,

Thank you for your post.

It sounds as though your saved workspace was overwritten with a blank file. This can happen when the workspace is not saved properly or if any of the individual chart windows were closed out prior to your most recent save.

First, ensure the workspace you have open is the one that has your items saved and that they are not minimized. Hover over the NinjaTrader 8 icon on the Windows Taskbar to see if your charts are there. You can open other workspaces by going to the Control Center -> Workspaces -> Click on the workspace you want to open. If you're not sure what this list means and how to tell if a workspace is open, in view, or closed, please visit the following help guide link:If this does not resolve the symptom, try restoring your workspace from an older save using the 'Restore workspace' feature:

Complete the following steps to use the "Restore workspace" feature:
    1. Navigate to Tools -> Database Management
    2. Select "Restore workspace"
    3. Select Restore to be directed to the location of the recovery workspaces
    4. Workspaces will be organized in folders with the same name as the workspace
    5. Double click the folder of the workspace you want to recover and then select the recovery file with the date/time that you want to recover. You'll want to select a file larger than 1kb from the available options.
    Please note that if the most recent backup of the file is also blank, you will want to proceed by restoring older versions until you find the correct saved file.

Below I have provided a link to the Restore Workspaces section of our help guide:Alternatively, you can restore your workspaces from a backup if you completed one recently. Complete the following steps to restore a Backup Archive:
    1. From within the Control Center window select the Tools menu. Then select the menu Import and the Backup File... menu item
    2. Select the backup archive to restore from the "Restore" file dialog window
    3. Press the "Restore" button
    4. Select the items you wish to restore
    Below I have provided a link to the Backup and Restore section of our help guide:
    Unfortunately, if neither of the above methods work for you, then you will have to rebuild the workspace manually. To help prevent loss in the future, please ensure to create regular backups.

Lastly, It's important when working with Workspaces that you do not close out of the individual windows that make up the workspace. Pressing the little red 'X' button in the upper right-hand corner of each chart window will eliminate that window from your workspace. You want to leave any window that you want to keep as part of your workspace open at all times. Additionally, it's important to only ever exit the platform from the Control Center window and not to use the 'Close all windows' option from the Windows task bar. This will close all of the individual windows prior to closing the Control Center and will prompt you to save after all the windows have been closed, which results in a blank workspace.

Please see the publicly available video demonstration at the link below to learn more about how to properly save and load your workspace;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m09...el=NinjaTrader

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

hello Zach,

the thing is i already seen this post and followed the instructions to restore the workspace and i'm still unable to locate it. I do see that both the initial workspace and the one that was restored are both able to to be in green which indicates that are in the opened status but they are not actually opened.

thanks

Comment

Hello agraham,

Thank you for your reply.

If the file that you've restored is still blank, then you need to try to restore an even older file. Since these backups are created automatically, when you have a blank workspace open, eventually the platform begins to save blank backup files as well. It helps to look at the size of the backup files, as they are usually a good indicator of whether or not there is content.

However, if none of the workspace backups contain any information, then unfortunately, restoring is not an option. The only other option that you would have is to run a full system backup, if you've ever created one. I provided instructions for that process in my post above.

Lastly, if neither restore option is available, then you will need to rebuild your workspace manually and be very careful with how to save and use your workspace. For some reason, many users do not realize that exiting out of the individual windows or using the 'Close all windows' option on the Windows Task Bar will delete those windows from their workspace. All windows that you'd like to retain as part of your workspace must be left open at all times.
        Attached Files
        Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by cls71, Today, 04:45 AM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post cls71
        by cls71