Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Two instances of NT8 linked to same account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two instances of NT8 linked to same account?

I would like to have two instances of NT8 (one instance of Lifetime and one instance of Free) on different PCs linked to the same account (Phillip Capital).

Is this possible?

The reason? Redundancy. If my PC fails or internet goes down i want to be able to access the account and close open positions/orders.

I have read that NT8 undertakes all the logic/actions locally and therefore there is currently no "true" redundancy if significant failure occurs.

E.g. if i have an open position with a SL and TP and the PC fails, both SL and TP orders are in the market, the position will close one way or another - however the other order is still in the market and when triggered there will be an inaccessible open position (until PC is fixed or internet is reconnected).

Both instances don't necessarily have to be openable at the same time.

Hello,

Thanks for writing in today.

Yes, this would be possible using the two seperate license keys to connect to a single account, however this would not work at the same time- the connection API will kick previous connections off so only a single connection to the account can be maintained at any given moment.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Apm123 View Post
      I would like to have two instances of NT8 ....

The reason? Redundancy. If my PC fails or internet goes down i want to be able to access the account and close open positions/orders.

.. there is currently no "true" redundancy if significant failure occurs.

E.g. if i have an open position with a SL and TP and the PC fails, both SL and TP orders are in the market, the position will close one way or another - however the other order is still in the market and when triggered there will be an inaccessible open position (until PC is fixed or internet is reconnected).

Both instances don't necessarily have to be openable at the same time.

Absolutely valid concerns.. for me personally, it recommend all who would auto-trade seek to set up 24/7 auto-monitoring and emergency access via a second machine

YES this can be done.. at least when trading with NinjaTrader Brokerage and Dorman. Both machines can login at the same time, as they would need to in order to execute proper Monitoring as well as Risk management oversight and response.
      1. For a reasonable additional fee per month Ninjatrade Brokerage will allow you to use a second PC on the same trading account.
      2. Then a more expensive cost you may face is the cost of purchasing market data for that second machine as well.
      Use of a free license machine is not a requirement and does not play a role in this implementation.

I recommend calling/contacting the Ninjtrader Brokerage (rather the NT8 Platform support team) to ask about funding access for a second machine to use with your account and for any help you might need getting a another data service setup for that second machine.

=======================================

Regarding this specific concerns...

Originally posted by Apm123 View Post
      I would like to have two instances of NT8 ....

I have read that NT8 undertakes all the logic/actions locally and therefore there is currently no "true" redundancy if significant failure occurs.

Might check if you broker will let use broker-server-side Limit orders and broker-server-side OCO to avoid some of these specific example risks. .. rather than dependency on your local machine.

HedgePlay
      Last edited by hedgeplay; 06-05-2021, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Marco View Post
        Hello,

Thanks for writing in today.

Yes, this would be possible using the two seperate license keys to connect to a single account, however this would not work at the same time- the connection API will kick previous connections off so only a single connection to the account can be maintained at any given moment.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

Thanks for the advice on this.

I have installed the second instance of NT8 (free version) onto the second computer, however I am having trouble connecting to NinjaTrader Continuum.

I reused the free license key that was given to me a while ago. For the NinjaTrader Continuum username and password - i am using the same credentials as those that currently work on the other computer.

Any tips? (do I need to link the license key to the NTContunuum credentials? [i.e. two licence keys to one NTContinuum credentials])

Comment

Hello Apm123,

Thank you for the update.

As Marco previously mentioned, the connection API will kick previous connections off so only a single connection to the account can be maintained at any given moment. When using NinjaTrader on two PCs, you will also need to contact your brokerage to see if they allow for more than one live login at a time.

If you are using NinjaTrader Continuum, only a single live login is allowed at a time by default, but the NinjaTrader Brokerage can set up a second login for you to use simultaneously with your current one. You may reach out to the NinjaTrader Brokerage at [email protected]

In your case, as long as you are planning to only connect on one PC at a time, there shouldn't be any issues with using the same credentials. For the computer that is not able to connect, do you have the demo checkbox checked in your account configuration? If so, you'll need to uncheck it to connect to your live account.

Please follow the steps below to resolve this.
          • Go to your Control Center
          • Select Connections > Configure
          • Select your connection you created
          • On the right remove the checkmark next to "Demo"
          • Click OK and try to connect

For step-by-step instructions on how to set up your account connection, please review the Connection Guide on our website.

If you are still unable to connect after verifying the steps in the connection guide, please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please include a link to this forum post and reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 3128845 ATTN Emily

Thank you for your patience.
          Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by PaulMohn, Today, 12:36 PM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post PaulMohn  
          Started by Conceptzx, 10-11-2022, 06:38 AM
          2 responses