• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error validating request -'bN'

Greetings,

The full error is as follows after the double dashed line
    ====
    Error validating request -'bN' : cause - The symbol or the local-symbol or the security id must be entered affected
    ===

I've had an incessant issue with this persistent error across multiple symbols/instruments. At first I thought it might be due to errors with how the data feed was being handled for instruments. It wasn't that.

I then thought it might be due to API handling between my trading broker's 3rd party interface software, and Ninja Trader. It wasn't that.

I conceeded that well over a dozen symbols I simply could not place orders on no matter how big or small due to this persistent error message that I was receiving.

I am NOW getting the error message with symbols that previously were fine when I entered an order, both on or off marketin hours. Their orders are being rejected.

I have contacted Ninjat Trader's support team and they mentioned it was due to API handling of my broker's platform. My broker says that there's nothing wrong and they don't know what the error is from. I get no where with technical support because apparently no one knows what this code means, nor will provide direction to find out what part of the system (i.e. trading platform or 3rd parting API/order handler) is producing it to help me in isolating where it's coming from.

I thought it might be due to conflicts in versions of Ninja Trader and API handling, so I updated software as well as Windows. All of this hasn't resolved this issue and now I am seeing it on symbols that once I had no problem in placing orders.

Has anyone on here experienced or seen this specific error? If so, what is the resolution that you've found, and what might I possibly be missing?

Thanks in advance for any insight or solutions that you've found resolves this error.

Hello Reardon,

Can you please tell me who your broker is. Am I correct this is Interactive Brokers?

What is the ticket number of your previous correspondence with our platform support team? You can find the ticket number in the subject field of the email.

What NinjaTrader and TWS/Gateway version do you currently have installed? You can check the NinjaTrader version at Control Center-->Help-->About (8.0.xx.x).

Do you notice any consistency between the instruments that generate this error message?
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason,

First, I must completely apologize for not responding back to you in a timely form. I have resolved that issue now, and will be able to respond much quicker.

Look up Ticket- 2952044 for more information on this.

I continue to have this issue, and while I don't have NT8 open right now, I had a similar problem with an order last night that provided the -'bN' error

I know it's not limited to one single account since I have two IB accounts and TWS's open (one for each account) at the same time.

The only time I've heard back from the IB technical support side they blamed it of course on NT. So I'm chasing my tail here and can't seem to find any solutions, or any reference to what -'bN' even means or is referring to.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Jason.

Comment

Hello Reardon,

No worries. Can you please tell me if the IB support team provided any information why NinjaTrader is to blame for this order rejection error.

I looked through the ticket. Sorry I did not have time to read it all as I'm close to the end of my shift today. Have you ever experienced the error while solely connected to Interactive Brokers in NinjaTrader? If I understand correctly, you connect to Kinetick and then two IB connections.

Is there any consistency you can think of between the occurrences you have experienced so far?

What TWS and NinjaTrader versions do you currently have installed?

In addition, please send me your log and trace files so that I may investigate.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: Att Jason, 3093932

JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hey Jason,

The IB support team didn't know. If I recall correctly they hadn't even heard of the error. That left me a little confused since if the communications is all done thru the API, and the error was being provided via NT8 someone had to have programmed that error response. So somewhere there's a lapse with the programmers, and the details that the support team knows about when it comes to specific errors.

That's why I posted on here because I have searched everywhere I could in order to find something related to this -'bN' error and I can't find it anywhere. If I knew what it meant, I'm sure it would help in tracking down what side I need to be going to (NT or IB) to resolve it.

Comment

Hello,

Please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please link this forum post and include ticket number 3093932 in the body of the email.

Thanks in advance-
            Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ryan,

I'll get this taken care of for you this evening. You'll have it in the support mail box tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Hey Ryan,

The e-mail with the log and trace files were sent to the default support e-mail with the attachments and the information in the body per your request.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hello Reardon,

We were able to resolve this item by adding the Symbol Mapping to the instrument settings for Interactive Brokers.

Initially only Kinetick had Symbol Mapping configured within the Instrument settings which would allow the platform to receive data.

However with the Interactive Brokers setting being blank, the platform was unable to correctly route the order through your broker resulting in the error message received.

For Orders and Data there needs to be a configured symbol mapping as this is what allows the platform to request data and route orders correctly for the instrument.

Spencer F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by maybeimnotrader, Yesterday, 05:46 PM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                  Started by Perr0Grande, Yesterday, 08:16 PM
                  1 response
                  0 likes