Chart Hangs when Squishing TIme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart Hangs when Squishing TIme

Hello, I am evaluating a charting serfvice that uses NT8. I noticed that for the NQ futures chart that I work with (which has a lot of tick data) if I try to see more of the chart by moving the cursor in the Time bar, chart will hang if I "squish" the chart too much. I have no choice but to close NT8 and reboot my system because even if I can close NT8, when I restart NT8, I get an error that NT8 cannnot restart because a specific dll is being used. I guess the NQ chart was not shutdown in an orderly fashion when I closed NT8 ?

Thanks.

Hello gchan,

Thank you for the note.

With the symptoms you are describing, it sounds like there is a 3rd party add-on applied to the chart you are working with and that the processing power required to calculate and display the chart with a larger range of data showing is more than the NinjaScript or your PC can calculate in real-time.
    • As you Zoom out on the chart and show more plotting points of data and try to move the chart, this is causing the indicator to have to calculate a larger amount of data and leads to the platform freezing until it is able to finish its calculations.
    • When you go to close out of the platform, if that indicator is stuck calculating still, it may result in the NinjaTrader platform not properly closing down resulting in your .dll error.
      • In this situation, if you were to open the Task Manager, you would see that NinjaTrader is still running in the background even though the platform is not open.
      • Here you would want to Force Quit NinjaTrader so that the next time you open the platform there is not an error of a needed file already being in use and stopping you from opening the platform.
    If you want to verify that the base NinjaTrader platform is working as expected, I suggest starting the NinjaTrader platform in Safe Mode. Safe Mode will load in the core NinjaTrader platform without anything that has been added in. If the behavior disappears in Safe Mode, this lets you know that something that was added into the platform brought this unwanted behavior. If that is the case there is another test that could be done to potentially see which Indicator is resulting in the largest delays.

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
    • Loading workspaces.
    • Connecting on start-up.
    • Loading custom assemblies.
    • Getting instrument updates from the server.
    To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
    • Exit NinjaTrader.
    • Hold the Ctrl (Control) key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
    • Keep the Ctrl (Control) key held down until you see the Control Center.
    • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.
    Once you have opened the platform in safe mode:
    • Reconnect to your Data Provider
    • Go to Control Center > Workspaces > New > Give this Workspace a unique name like "Test" and click OK
    • Open a new chart with no custom bar types/indicators/templates and test for issues.
    If there are no issues with this new workspace, go to Control Center > Workspaces > hover over the workspace you just made and click Save.
    • Once saved, hover over all other open Workspaces and click Close until only the Test Workspace you just made is open
    Now, click X out of the platform and select "No" to "Do you want to save changes"

Now reopen the platform like normal. It should open to the workspace you just created.
    • Is everything still working as expected?
    • Now try opening the other workspace that was bringing in the unwanted behavior
    If this reintroduces issues, this lets us know that the 3rd party add-ons within the Workspace brought in the unwanted behavior.
    • I would suggest rebuilding your workspace, adding 1 indicator at a time. Please keep track of what indicators you add back in so that you may narrow down what indicator is causing the issue if the issue returns.
    To see what (if any) NinjaScript items may be contributing to the symptoms, please open the NinjaScript Utilization Monitor:
    • Control Center > New > NinjaScript Output
    • Right-click within the NinjaScript output window > Select 'NinjaScript Utilization Monitor...
    • This window will begin to populate with NinjaScript items in order of time spent processing
    • Let this window populate for at least a few minutes
    • If there are indicators appearing at the top of this list and they have much higher values than everything else, you will want to look into these indicators first
      • The utilization monitor essentially shows how long an indicator has spent calculating between receiving information and displaying a result on that information over the amount of time that the window has been open
      • https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...izationMonitor

Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by Johnny Santiago, 10-11-2019, 09:21 AM
    95 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post xiinteractive  
    Started by xiinteractive, 04-09-2024, 08:08 AM
    2 responses