Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

fatal failure: kinetick minute data is not adjusted for splits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fatal failure: kinetick minute data is not adjusted for splits.

as the title says; this weekend i have been downloading and taking a look at kinetick nasdaq data and i realized that historical minute data is not adjusted for splits:

2020 aapl split

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210227 stupid aapl not adjusted for split 1 minute 001.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1144035

2020 tslaq split

Name:	20210227 stupid tsla not adjusted for split 1 minute 001.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1144036

2015 nflx split

Name:	20210227 stupid nflx not adjusted for split 1 minute 001.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1144037

daily bar data seems like it has been properly adjusted. it is not possible to say whether tick data has been adjusted or not as only 6 months back are available. minute data is definitely wrong, and all data prior to the splits is useless as it is. this is really unbelievable for a professional data provider and the only method there is to get nasdaq historical data on nt.

i will email the people at kinetick and i would post this to the kinetick forum if there was one. for now, nt's fora will have to do.

Attached Files

Hello rtwave,

In the Instruments window, have you clicked the Update button under Splits & Dividends while connected to Kinetick?

After clicking the button have you reloaded all historical data?
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks.

yes.

the people with nt - kt support have already told me about this - update splits - feature.

however, the data on kt's servers is wrong as it is. i had no nt nasdaq minute data on my computer before this weekend and it is unusable as kt delivers it. even free providers like yahoo and all the rest have the data correctly processed and updated on their servers, i see no reason why kt would not do the same.

but well, at least there is a way to make this work.

Comment

Hello rtwave,

Could you elaborate on the data issues after performing the Update Splits operation? (Screenshots can help illustrate)

Are you expecting the data to be provided with the splits without needing to perform the Update Split operation?
        JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

people with nt,

the situation is as follows:

in both february and july of 2020 i had subscribed to kinetick to download historical nasdaq tick data to my computer. the first batch of data worked well, but there were issues with the second. so, this past weekend, after i made a data backup, i deleted all the nasdaq data from nt on my computer to start with a blank slate. there was no nasdaq minute or tick data on my computer then.

this past weeked i subscribed to kinetick again and for several nasdaq symbols i'm interested in, i downloaded several years of daily data, minute data as far back as 202001 and as much tick data as is available.

kinetick provides daily data already processed for splits and without any apparent errors, while there have not been any splits during the 6 months for which tick data is available. and there was no nasdaq data in my computer whatsoever, so, it would follow that minute data should be accurate and ready to use if one has just downloaded it.

however, i'm very thorough and realized that minute data straight from kinetick's servers has not been adjusted for splits. this is erroneous as the convention is to make the required changes retroactively to historical data after a split has been executed. if anyone used this data as it is delivered by kt's servers all their work would be useless as the scale and values before the date of the latest split would all be wrong.

i emailed the people with kt - nt support and once they informed me of the - update splits - command, i was able to fix the data on my computer. as far as i can tell, the minute data i downloaded is now accurate and should be reliable.

and yes, i see no reason why daily data on kt's server would be adjusted for splits but nor minute data. the convention is to process all historical data retroactively to maintain uniformity on the scales and values.
          Last edited by rtwave; 03-07-2021, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by AaronKoRn, Today, 09:49 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post AaronKoRn  
          Started by carnitron, Today, 08:42 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post carnitron