Strategy Analyzer backtest seems to do nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Analyzer backtest seems to do nothing

When I run strategy Analyzer on any of the very simple ninjascript strategies I've written, nothing happens. No chart, no data, no errors in the error log.

Almost all of the built in strategies do this. The only strategy I have seen work is Sample MA crossover which does work. I have connected to both my brokerage, kinetick, a simulated data feed.

I can pull up charts for these instruments for this period of time. I can run backtests for the same instruments / periods with Sample MA crossover. When I try to run my strategy it looks like it runs, but it just shows nothing in the analysis, summary, chart, etc.

I am new to Ninjatrader, so I suspect I am doing something wrong. I have googled a dozen similar posts and tried to follow the advice there.

I seemed to have gotten it working, sort of.

Comment

Hello Gathem,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Forums!

Glad to hear you have it working.

If you need further assistance on this subject, "Strategy Analyzer backtest seems to do nothing" please post again.

If you have questions not related to the subject, you are welcome to create further new topics, in the relevant forum.

You can write into PlatformSupport[at]Ninjatrader[dot]Com instead of posting if you would like assistance (we just ask that you do not both post and write in on the same topic (duplication of effort)
      Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi
        At times when i backtest nothing happens, i can say by looking at the screen no backtest is happening, why does this happen?
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello honest-trader,

Thanks for your post.

The first step would be to check that there are no errors related to the strategy in the "Log" tab of the Ninjatrader control center. Any errors would need to be addressed.

If no errors then the next step would be to verify that you have data for the instrument over the period being tested. The easiest way to do that is to run a strategy with a known performance such as the Sample MA Crossover which will always be in a trade, on the same instrument, bar type and period If the summary shows you have trades then that suggests the issue is with your strategy and you would need to move into a debugging process to find out why it is not trading as you expected. If it does not show trades then likely you do not have the historical data needed for that instrument.

If you need historical data then make sure you are connected to your data provider when you run the strategy analyzer so that the historical data can be downloaded.
          Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Perr0Grande, Today, 08:16 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Perr0Grande  
          Started by elderan, Today, 08:03 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes