Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Scaling into a position - seeking help to automatically change profit/stop targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@CheleaB....I'm seeing the same as Lancer regarding the stop strategy. BUT are IF you saying the ATM strategy DOES use average entry price, I'm thinking I can get the entire bracket to trail based on average price instead. The Stop Strategy just works within the ATM strategy and narrows the bracket between the ATM OCO orders by moving the trailing stop alone. Will using successive Target 1, 2, 3...ect in effect trail the market where the profit triggers of each Target ATM can be set to trail the market price based on average entry price? IF yes....then does the ATM automatically adjust quantity of the entire scaled position on each successive scaled entry price?

Comment

Hello trymph,

Yes, Atm stragies use the Atm Average Position Price. The same for manual entries with an atm attached.

New orders that scale in will be based on the average position price, order modifications will be based on average position price at the time the order was entered.
      Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Chelsea I've posted the following to another thread as a result of my testing just a plain ATM 1 target 1lot:

Jason....Are there any scenarios where a scaled in entry on a 1 lot ATM (scaled in for 2 lot total position) will use the AvgEntry price as displayed in Brown in the Super Dom and automatically adjust the ATM OCO Bracket orders' prices? Upon execution of the 2nd order (with the lighting bolt displayed in the ATM Strategy), the OCO orders do NOT seem to adjust prices per ATM defined # ticks from the new AvgEntry price. Position and bracket OCO orders quantities adjust correctly after scaling in with another 1 lot trade.
        ATM Strategy Parameters <excerpt from documentation>
        If the value is set to 4 (ticks) and your average entry for the initiating order is 1000 and you are long, your Stop Loss would be submitted at AvgEntry - Stop Loss
        If the value is set to 4 (ticks) and your average entry for initiating the order is 1000 and you are long, your Profit target would be submitted at AvgEntry + Profit target

I'm using SimData on 101 account in NT8.

Are l Lancer an I missing something? Or is this something we'll just have to script to accomplish?

Thanks

Comment

Hello trymph,

Scaled in orders are scaled into the existing Atm and will be based of the average entry price when the Atm was initialized. If you want these to be different, re-select the original Atm to start a new instance with a new order.

Comment

Different? What do you mean?

I just want the average price of the 2 lot position of the 1 lot lightning bolted ATM brackets' OCO workings to adjust to the same average price as shown in brown on the dom and in the position grid. Does SIM work differently than production? The documentation seems to suggest ATM working orders' prices adjust to average price as I excerpted/pasted in my post.

Regards
            Last edited by trymph; 02-17-2022, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Hello trymph,

If you want the next order's profit target and stop loss to be based of the new entries average entry price, select the original Atm without the lightning bolt to start a new Atm instance.

Try testing the behavior to get a better understanding.

Place an order with an Atm. Wait for the price to move. Scale in to the Atm. What happens with the orders?
              Try again with a new Atm instance and compare the behavior.

Comment

After creating an average position/entry price via lightning bolt ATM I tried just changing my ATM to a fresh same one and no changes to working OCOs. I canceled both working OCOs then switched ATM to none and back to original ATM. No working orders were created even though the open position at the average scaled in position/entry price persisted. So how would I activate the ATM on the fresh new average position/entry price to reset with newly average priced bracket OCOs created fresh?
                Last edited by trymph; 02-17-2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Hello trymph,

To confirm, after the first entry filled you have re-selected the original Atm without the lightning bolt and then placed a new entry order, is this correct?

With the original Atm selected, this would apply to the next entry submitted.

Below is a link to a short video.
                  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vee...ew?usp=sharing

As well as a forum post on the selection mode.
                  Hello, if I right click, place a limit order to sell, then right click, place a limit order to buy, like I would with a naked bracket OCO order, but with an

Comment

Chelsea:
                    To confirm, after the first entry filled you have re-selected the original Atm without the lightning bolt and then placed a new entry order, is this correct?
                    NO incorrect used just ATM-1
                    after the first entry filled you have re-selected the original Atm without the lightning bolt
                    ATM-1 and ATM-2 resulted in 2 working OCO brackets with DOM entry & position price displaying the average of each entry (ATM-1 + ATM-2 / 2)

But still the the OCO brackets' orders would not price based on the average as displayed in the DOM ladder and the Position Tab; those respective OCO brackets prices' reflected the 10 tick differential of my scaled in entry trades.

Would this be a functionality best accomplished with a custom NT strategy script perhaps?
                    My intent is to use the position price basis for the ATM OCO bracket orders' prices and even better BOTH the ATM strategy & the STOP strategy within the ATM.

Thanks for your time and consideration of my issue
                    Regards

Last edited by trymph; 02-17-2022, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Hello trymph,

If you are scaling into an active Atm Strategy, the profit and stop will be added to the quantity of the existing stop and target. This is based on the averageEntryPrice when the atm Strategy became active.

Yes, in a custom script you can have just about any custom logic you would like.

Below is a link to a forum post on getting started with NinjaScript.

Comment

ChelseaB, With "Select active ATM strategy on order submission" mode selected in Properties, and upon subsequent order fills after the initial opening order fill, all with the same active ATM strategy, the initial order stop/target quantity adjusts with the new increased quantity, but the stop/target prices do not adjust relative to the new average price. Instead of automatically adjusting, stop/target prices remain at the prices where first set by the initial opening order, and have to be manually changed as subsequent orders move the position to a new average price. The complaint is that after a change in position average price, the stop/target prices do not change automatically and instead have to be adjusted manually. The improvement request is that stop/target prices automatically adjust relative to the new average price in the same way that stop/target quantities adjust relative to the new position quantity. I hope that clarifies a bit.

Comment

Hello Lancer,

This is correct. The quantity would update, however the order price would be based from the average position price at the time the position was entered.

If you were to select the original Atm template (without the lightning bolt) this would start a new instance which would be based on the average price of the new entry.

With a custom script you could adjust the exit price and reset this to the initial distance from the position average price if you wanted.

Comment

So can we get a tracking number for this improvement request? After a subsequent order and change in position average price, instead of stop/target prices remaining at the prices where first set by the initial opening order (existing function), enable the stop/target prices to automatically adjust relative to the new average price in the same way that stop/target quantities adjust relative to the new position quantity (improved function).

Comment

I would vote for that improvement also. One caveat would be to have that average entry price persist throughout the life of the position until flat on the day AND include Stop Strategies basis price similarly also. Thanks Lancer for your concise explanation.

Comment

Hello Lancer,

Just to confirm, as this happens you would want any movements performed by a stop strategy template saved in the Atm to be reset back to the newly calculated average price, is this correct?

(So if the first target trailed several ticks, this would reset back to the original distance from the newly calculated average price)

If not, what specifically should happen for the stop and target that have been modified by a stop strategy when the new entry is placed?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Jonafare, 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM
                                5 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rene69851  
                                Started by Fitspressorest, Today, 01:38 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes