Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 stops optimizing

Hello,

I have been trying to optimize in my computer. However, most of the time I have to modify variables in order to get lees inputs to optimize because the NT8 does not start optimization. Other times, the optimization would take 4 hours but after one hour the NT8 just stops.

I am not sure what the reasons could be for that because the computer works most of the time. Would you please help me? Do you have any information about using amazon AWS services to optimize strategies?

regards,

Hello Jorge.andres.o,

If the optimization is having difficulty with your strategy and the parameters that may relate to how the script was coded. Do you see the same issues if you test using the SampleMACrossOver strategy that comes with NinjaTrader?

I don't have any specific suggestions for using an amazon server, the server would need to meet the minimum system requirements for NinjaTrader to run it.

I look forward to being of further assistance.

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jesse,

I will look into the code. However, if I reduce the parameters that I want to optimize, to optimization runs just fine.

i wonder if the problem is that I need a more sophisticated computer to optimize faster and more complex algorithms

Comment

Hello Jorge.andres.o,

You can take a look in the windows task manager to see if you are hitting your PC's limits as one way of checking that.

The test with the sampleMACrossOver is really going to be step one in figuring out what is happening here. That strategy is known to work so if you enter values in the optimizer which causes the test to not work with that strategy I can help to explore that. I can test the same settings on my PC to see if that happens or if this is only on your machine. Once we know that result it would be easier to say: yes this relates to the custom code or no this relates to something else possibly platform or PC related.

Comment

Jesse,

I ran the optimization of the sampleMACrossOver and it completed it (it is only two variables to optimize). I checked the usage of my resources and it was up to 80% of my memory for NT8 during the process. The strategy I am trying to run will have at least 10 variables to optimize at the same time (in perfect conditions. if I try to optimize one or two variables, it works).

Please let me know what the next step would be?

Comment

Hello Jorge.andres.o,

Thank you for testing that.

If the sampleMACrossOver works that helps to know the platform is working in general.

How much memory does your PC have currently?

The bare minimum your PC can have would be 2gb however that really does not leave any extra resources between running Windows and your other software. The suggested amount is 8gb but that also can be easily consumed with running programs and windows. If your PC has a lot running you may want to run the platform exclusively and see if that allows your strategy to test.

This still could relate to the strategy as well, have you tried to further isolate if this happens when optimizing one of the strategies properties vs all?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Memory.png
Views:	285
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	1111137

This is the computer

Comment

Hello Jorge.andres.o,

That amount of memory should be fine, are you seeing 80% being used only with NinjaTrader or does your whole system use 80%?

I tried the sample on my end just now and don't really see much of a increase in memory when testing the sample. If you have other items open in your workspace you should likely close everything first and re test.

If your whole PC is using a lot of memory you may need to close other programs such as web browsers to free up some memory while testing.

Comment

Jesse,

I check only up to 80% of usage only for NT8 during optimization. I did not have other program open. However, I was writing some codes in the NT. I want to clarify that the test was completed with the SMA sample.

The test completes if I do not optimize several variables on my strategy. When I try to optimize few variables, it behaves in two ways:

1. It does not even start the process
                  2. It begins, calculates time remaining (few days or hours) and later it just stops

My question are:

Do you think the problem is lack of resources in my computer?
                  Do you know that using AWS AI servers will help optimization times to reduce and work?
                  What could the solution be?
                  Last edited by Jorge.andres.o; 07-24-2020, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Hello Jorge.andres.o,

If your custom script does not work in the analyzer at all that generally relates to the script and how it was coded. The sample lets you know the platform is working so you can now try to isolate what specifically causes your strategy to stop or not work right.

This is not likely related to the resources, you have enough ram to run the platform If you see that the platform uses most of the memory while using the SampleMACrossOver that could hint at a problem with something you have imported affecting the platform. As I noted I only see a very minimal amount of memory used in that test. If you are trying an unreasonable range like 1-999999 that could relate to the problem as well, you would want to use more targeted ranges like 1-50.

Do you know that using AWS AI servers will help optimization times to reduce and work?
                    Very unlikely, servers are generally very limited for resources as they are intended to host or do a single type of work. For a server that has more performance than your home PC you may end up paying quite a lot, you would have to review that with the server provider. In any case you should first try to get the strategy working locally before you try and do testing on a server.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Balage0922, Today, 07:38 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Balage0922  
                    Started by JoMoon2024, Today, 06:56 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes